These 20 goal a season strikers

Day

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No they aren't, you've just come up with some random rubbish to try and flaw them.

Time for a new thread I think, IS BRIS VEGAS A SECOND RATE POSTER?

How many rates do you have I can think of worse? 

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

31 goal contributions in 42 games (2872 minutes).

92 minutes per goal contribution.

At least 1 goal contribution in 19 games, with 18 of those coming in his 31 starts.

7 goal contributions in his 16 games against top half opponents (12 starts)

Damn, thats put a spanner in the works of proving his numbers are flawed.

How about if all of the goal contributions that happened in midweek matches are removed?

Must be some way we can make his excellent stats look flawed!

Just now, CBRammette said:

Why does the modern game obsess with stats and hence we always have to pull people's stats apart to suit an argument? He's been truly marvellous and a joy to watch is actually all I care about. He also noticeably looks after the youngsters.  

Need a xN stat, expected negativity within the fanbase.

I’m sure we would be overachieving.

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I enjoy watching McGoldrick play. And while his numbers are impressive, they’re actually a bit flawed.

He has 21 league goals, but nine of those came with 3 hattricks in games we would have won regardless - FGR, Bristol Rovers and Morecombe.

Take those out and he has 12 goals in 40 league games. Still decent, but not that consistent.

He also netted in comfortable wins over Charlton, Accrington, Cheltenham, FGR plus the one in our thrashing at Barnsley. 

I’d say his most important goals this season was the winner vs Posh early season, the equalizer at Port Vale and his double last night.

But there have also been many games this season where he hasn’t had an impact. In fact, only 4 of his 21 goals this season have come against top half sides.

I agree, he really should spread his goals out a bit and choose when he is to score. Check the current score during the game then decide whether to score or save it for another game where we are not expected to win. 

In the real world, I understand wat you are trying to say, however had he not scored 1, 2 or 3 against these teams, who knows how the game might have ended? He scores 2 or 3 and the opposition come back to win and we would still complain. No point moaning about where he scored after the fact. He scores and that is that and thank god he has.

It would be wonderful if we could sit down at the end of the season and spread the goals around to suit our position, but obviously this doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Damn, thats put a spanner in the works of proving his numbers are flawed.

How about if all of the goal contributions that happened in midweek matches are removed?

Must be some way we can make his excellent stats look flawed!

McGoldrick has failed to 'contribute' against 2 of the bottom 5 teams. Let's ignore the fact he hasn't played against 1 of them.

I'm not sure if this chart's any use, but here it is anyway:

image.thumb.png.faf2841c58ab3afcb26bcf4afdb5097e.png

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Why does the modern game obsess with stats and hence we always have to pull people's stats apart to suit an argument? He's been truly marvellous and a joy to watch is actually all I care about. He also noticeably looks after the youngsters.  

Tin hat on, but I've often thought that those that obsess over stats to justify their opinions need to spend a bit more time watching the football and a bit less time with their eyes on their phones. Stats can be useful - to a point - but obsessing over them takes the joy out of watching a craftsman at work.....

Seems a bit daft focusing too much about McGoldrick's contribution against 'the top teams' when the entire team has struggled to make any impact in those games.

He can't be expected to make all of his own chances and those games have seen a noticeable lack of attacking cohesion with him often isolated and needing to drop deep, often with no runners beyond him. It's why the slight change against Exeter felt like a step forward.

We've also seen him set up chances which haven't been taken like the one Collins fluffed the other week one-on-one with the keeper.

It's not like he's accumulated all of his goals through a brute force method either, ignoring his teammates and shooting as often as humanly possibly from all angles.

23 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Of course goal difference matters.

But take Man City and Haaland for example. They didn’t sign him to improve their goal difference. They didn’t sign him to score three goals against Forest in a game they would win 5-0 anyway without him.

They signed Haaland to score the big goals in the big moments against the best teams. As that is what the best players do. They signed him to score goals against Arsenal, Bayern and Man Utd, not stat pad against Forest, Bournemouth and Southampton.

McGoldrick’s record shows 17 of his 21 goals have come against lower half sides with 9 of those in 3 games against FGR, Morecombe and Bristol Rovers.

Those goals against crap opposition could be the difference between 6th and 7th via goal difference.

But do you know what might make an even bigger difference? Scoring key goals against our direct rivals or at least teams higher up the league.

I’d have much rather McGoldrick have scored those nine goals he did against FGR, Morecombe and Bristol Rovers spread out away against the likes of Bolton, Pompey, Charlton, Ipswich, Plymouth, Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Wycombe - there we have 8 away games where he didn’t score in and we either drew or narrowly lost. Goals against those teams and we’re looking at 10-15 points extra.

We would have beaten Morecombe, FGR and Bristol Rovers anyway without McGoldrick. 

wtf GIF

I like stats and numbers (I am one of those weird people that likes maths!), but to be fair I don’t watch the game and have a calculator at hand 😂

I saw the interview on the Forest playtime thread and I think Stuart Pearce was saying about the Gumps not scoring enough goals and that it pans out at around a goal per point, so it looks grim for them.

I thought nah, that can’t be right, but do you know what it is pretty close.  I checked the top ten and bottom three and the range of points per goal was between 0.9 (Forest Green) to 1.29 (Bolton).  Most lie in the 1.1 to 1.2 sort of area and we are 1.11.

interesting n’est-ce pas?

The point being that plenty on goals means plenty of points, irrespective of how many in each game and who they were score against.  Who’d of thunk it?

13 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Tin hat on, but I've often thought that those that obsess over stats to justify their opinions need to spend a bit more time watching the football and a bit less time with their eyes on their phones. Stats can be useful - to a point - but obsessing over them takes the joy out of watching a craftsman at work.....

I enjoy his disguised passes, dummies, flicks and tricks as well as his goals and assists. Its what you try to do as kids down the park or as adults against your kids and grandkids, with your mates for an impromptu kick a round.

Like you say, a craftsman at work, an entertainer.

He's also a great pro who works bloody hard every game.

Stats are nowt compared to those little moments of magic you see during a game.

On 20/04/2023 at 07:33, CBRammette said:

Who does he think he is with his selfish and wasteful spree scoring and his 'professionalism' and 'empathy with the younger lads' nonsense ?! Bloody liability he is.. we should get rid in the summer and find a proper forward on a free who can conjure a goal at will at any moment of any game against any opposition in order to yield the maximum possible points per goal over the season. He's stealing a living is this fella ! Our failure to secure a playoff place so far is entirely down to this clown 😉 

Funny thing is when the squad was put together in the summer Collins was supposed to be the 20 goal a season striker with Mcgoldrick chipping in from a slightly deeper role. Collins largely disappointing performances has seen Mcgoldrick as the main man and only goal threat in a lot of games.

14 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I enjoy his disguised passes, dummies, flicks and tricks as well as his goals and assists. Its what you try to do as kids down the park or as adults against your kids and grandkids, with your mates for an impromptu kick a round.

Like you say, a craftsman at work, an entertainer.

He's also a great pro who works bloody hard every game.

Stats are nowt compared to those little moments of magic you see during a game.

I would venture as far as to say that he is our only creative player.

Others can pass or outpace players but few have disguised or goalmaking passes in their armoury.

35 minutes ago, rustylee said:

Funny thing is when the squad was put together in the summer Collins was supposed to be the 20 goal a season striker with Mcgoldrick chipping in from a slightly deeper role. Collins largely disappointing performances has seen Mcgoldrick as the main man and only goal threat in a lot of games.

Collins' early form under Warne suggested he could still have been that 20 goal a season forward. McGoldrick's form suggested the opposite.

Collins - 8 goals in his first 8 games under Warne (suspended for 3)
McGoldrick - 3 goals in his first 9 games under Warne (hattrick vs Bristol)

Collins needs to play alongside another CF, which is where all of his goals have come from - either with Dobbin or McGoldrick. The exception was MK Dons away, when he scored from a freekick.

At the start of the season, I predicted how many goals our players needed to score for us to earn promotion:

image.png.56da509cfc1bcc890ab198f94bf17687.png

Totalled up by position, we need to improve significantly with goals from our CBs (1 actual vs 5 predicted) and wingers (14 actual vs 22 predicted)