These 20 goal a season strikers

Day

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

From memory, when Barcelona were winning the league it was only because they were beating teams below them.

Flat track bullies I say.

You just said it. Barcelona were winning the league.

Why are Derby only 6th? It isn’t because of our record against the cannon fodder in this league.

Edited by Bris Vegas

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why are Derby only 6th? It isn’t because of our record against the cannon fodder in this league.

I don't get your point? Obviously we're better against the weaker teams. That's how football works.

If we were beating the top teams every week, we'd be top of the league. But we're not, because we're not good enough to be up there. And I'd put a lot of that down to a lack of squad depth.

33 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don't get your point? Obviously we're better against the weaker teams. That's how football works.

If we were beating the top teams every week, we'd be top of the league. But we're not, because we're not good enough to be up there. And I'd put a lot of that down to a lack of squad depth.

You just highlighted my point. It’s all well and good beating the poor teams and Didzy filling his boots against the cannon fodder, but to get promoted we need to beat the better sides in the division.

Under Warne we just haven’t stepped up yet when it really matters.

43 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You just highlighted my point. It’s all well and good beating the poor teams and Didzy filling his boots against the cannon fodder, but to get promoted we need to beat the better sides in the division.

We’ve been doing rather well with what we scrapped together imho 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If we get into the playoffs it’s likely to be with Wednesday,Barnsley and Bolton 

with warne as boss we’ve drawn with Wednesday beat Barnsley in the fa cup lost in the league and beat and drawn with Bolton I’d say that’s says it’s all quite well matched as play off usually are

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

You just said it. Barcelona were winning the league.

So is your point that itsa Mcgoldricks fault we have not beaten the teams in the top 6, even though someone has pointed out our record against them is actually alright and Didzy’s personal stats match up against the top scorer in the division?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

So is your point that itsa Mcgoldricks fault we have not beaten the teams in the top 6, even though someone has pointed out our record against them is actually alright and Didzy’s personal stats match up against the top scorer in the division?

No señor

Perhaps we are spending far more time defending against better sides, have less of the ball, are pressed more effectively, get fewer crosses in etc. Perhaps he is simply not getting much service from midfield and wide men against the top teams as the limitations of our team are exposed ? The lack of goals from pretty much anyone else against all opposition, good and bad is surely the bigger issue here. Mendez-Laing, Collins, Hourihan and Barkhuizen have all pretty much dried up .

On 19/04/2023 at 16:28, Bris Vegas said:

Deducting the goals doesn’t count and is a silly arguement because you the replacement player could easily have scored the same.

The arguement I’m making is the quantity of games scoring is better then the overall quantity of goals scored.

McGoldrick has only scored in 12 games this season. 

It’s a form of stat padding against crap opposition. 

Off the top of my head Haaland scored against United, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Brighton, Liverpool, Fulham and Villa. In fact, the only top 10 side he hasn’t scored against is Brentford.

Our record against top half sides is poor. McGoldrick’s record against top half sides is something like 4 goals in 20 games. It’s not great is it?

I see what you’re saying. He’s scored 29 odd goals, and people say that’s an incredible date if a goal every 2 games, in average. But we’d actually be better off if he had literally scored 1 goal every other game. We’d have got a lot more positive results this season had that been the case. 

but if you actually work out games he’s scored in, it’s probably more like 1 in 4 or 5.

not dissing him, he’s been amazing, but the only thing better than a 20 goal season striker, is a consistent 20 goal a season striker that scores a goal every game. 

that’s how Leicester won the league for example? How many multiple goals did Barry score that season? How many consecutive games did he score? Which is more important to your overall league position?

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I see what you’re saying. He’s scored 29 odd goals, and people say that’s an incredible date if a goal every 2 games, in average. But we’d actually be better off if he had literally scored 1 goal every other game. We’d have got a lot more positive results this season had that been the case. 

but if you actually work out games he’s scored in, it’s probably more like 1 in 4 or 5.

not dissing him, he’s been amazing, but the only thing better than a 20 goal season striker, is a consistent 20 goal a season striker that scores a goal every game. 

that’s how Leicester won the league for example? How many multiple goals did Barry score that season? How many consecutive games did he score? Which is more important to your overall league position?

That’s pretty much what I was alluding to. I mean, we can greatly appreciate McGoldrick’s goals and input. We’d be a worse team off without him and probably out of the playoff race if it wasn’t for him.

Our fellow forward players in terms of goals haven’t had a particularly good season.

But it really does matter who the goals come against. People laugh it off, but there is a huge difference between scoring 10 goals against FGR, Morecambe and Accrington in games we would have won anyway and scoring 10 goals against Ipswich, Plymouth and Posh in games we narrowly lost.

Titles are often decided in the head-to-head results against those at the top.

In 2013-14 we would have finished 2nd ahead of Burnley had we beaten them home and away. Instead they finished 8 points clear of us because they beat us home and away.

This season, we would now be ahead of Plymouth and Ipswich had we beaten them. Against Ipswich in particular, we were toothless upfront. 

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

That’s pretty much what I was alluding to. I mean, we can greatly appreciate McGoldrick’s goals and input. We’d be a worse team off without him and probably out of the playoff race if it wasn’t for him.

Our fellow forward players in terms of goals haven’t had a particularly good season.

But it really does matter who the goals come against. People laugh it off, but there is a huge difference between scoring 10 goals against FGR, Morecambe and Accrington in games we would have won anyway and scoring 10 goals against Ipswich, Plymouth and Posh in games we narrowly lost.

In 2013-14 we would have finished 2nd ahead of Burnley had we beaten them home and away. Instead they finished 8 points clear of us because they beat us home and away.

This season, we would now be ahead of Plymouth and Ipswich had we beaten them. Against Ipswich in particular, we were toothless upfront. 

Most people appreciate that.

But you're turning it into an individual player problem rather than a team problem.

With more attacking support / a better team behind him creating more and better chances there's no reason, given his own clinicality this season, to believe that he couldn't have got the goals against the teams we'd 'rather' he scored against and be sat on 30+

Edited by Kokosnuss

27 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Perhaps just maybe Plymouth and Ipswich both beat us twice because they’re better than us, perhaps just maybe they’re better than us because they didn’t start pre season with 5 players and could actually pay fees for players and reinforce they’re squads in January. We’ve just got to get on with the players we’ve got I’d have snapped your hand off if you’d have offered me this position last July. If you want to blame anybody for our toothless attack give Mel Morris a call

McGoldrick is not the problem.

The problem is Mendez Laing, Barkhuizen and Dobbin.

They have had good moments, good spells, but they are simply not consistent and reliable enough.

14 goals between the three of them in 44 league games. In modern football, you want your wingers to score goals and those three simply don’t cut it. How many huge, match-turning chances have they missed?

Let’s be honest, they would be bench warmers and impact players for any other top club in this division.

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

They have had good moments, good spells, but they are simply not consistent and reliable enough...

But who takes the blame for that? Barks was just starting to score and look really dangerous and he was 'dropped'. NML isn't really the best crosser of the ball but looks very good breaking into the box, not where he normally gets played. Dobbin is an inexperienced loan.

Just now, Jourdan said:

They have had good moments, good spells, but they are simply not consistent and reliable enough.

14 goals between the three of them in 44 league games. In modern football, you want your wingers to score goals and those three simply don’t cut it. How many huge, match-turning chances have they missed?

Let’s be honest, they would be bench warmers and impact players for any other top club in this division.

The problem with the first two is using them as wingbacks which greatly effects their usefulness at the the top end as they're knackered.  Dropping Barkhuizen when he was in good form after Christmas was also very bizarre and his appearances have been fairly fleeting since. The problem with Dobbin is that he only converts 1 in 5, some that easy I'd probably get two.