These 20 goal a season strikers

Day

Every single summer, we need a 20 goal a season striker…..well we actually have one, and we’re still outside the top 6, bloody typical. 4 of the clubs up there don’t even have one including the league leaders!

Plymouth - Hardie, 13
Sheff Wed - Smith, 13
Barnsley - Cole, 15
Bolton - Charles, 16

Currently League 1 has only 3 20 goal a season scorers.

Peterborough - Clarke-Harris, 25
Ipswich - Chaplin, 22
Derby - McGoldrick, 21

So in a few weeks if McGoldrick leaves and you’re about to post that we need to sign a 20 goal a season striker, stop, it’s no guarantee to success, be far better having goals spread out across the team.

Also helps massively if you concede fewer goals than you score. 

Anyway, carry on with what you were doing, I’ve taken up far too much of your time reading this already.

I guess it comes down to if he believes he has unfinished business at a higher level, or wants that final big pay day.

Make the play offs, we have the chance to offer both. 

If not, we’re hoping that he loves it here at the club, local to where he’s from, enjoying playing regular football banging in the goals, fully invested in the get Derby promoted challenge and get’s on well with Warne exchanging texts at night.

I can’t imagine a world where Paul Warne would not want him here next season regardless of which division.

I'd also add that whilst McGoldrick has been class and at the moment we should be renamed 'McGoldrick FC', I'd rather he had scored 21 times rather than amassing 21 goals but with blanks in-between. 

Obviously this is a fantasy notion and as others have said, clean sheets and midfield contributions are just as important see the Billy Davies season with Stevie Howard as the main man and other chipping in accordingly with clean sheets being collected for fun (until the wheels came off). 

Plus the traditionalist in me, likes the idea of a striker firing us to glory, as opposed to a miserly defence being the main contributor. So if we could carry on recruiting a 20 goal a season striker that would be appreciated. 

20 goal a season strikers usually need a team shaped around them to work, but I'd argue that Didzy creates as many chances for the team as he takes. Put someone with pace and finishing alongside him and we could very well have two 20+ next season. We simply have to keep him.

Edited by NorwichExile

It's a very interesting point. I think it's more important to have a striker that suits your style of play and generally helps create lots of goals, rather than be the one to necessarily score them all.

I feel like McGoldrick has carried the team in recent months, both in his goals and technical ability. He's pretty much the only one that can make the ball stick in the final third- see the 2nd goal yesterday: clearance header, impeccable touch by Didzy, turn, and then start the pattern of play that leads to the goal.. I'd say that's more important than whoever it was that blasts the ball in from 8 yards to finish the move?

It's worrying to think where we'd be this season without him. I do think it was needed this season with how disjointed the squad is, though- someone that can produce moments of quality is vital in these sort of teams. Next season with a more cohesive squad it'll be interesting to see if we need the same talismanic figurehead, as our overall play should be stronger and we should be less reliant on individuals. 

I enjoy watching McGoldrick play. And while his numbers are impressive, they’re actually a bit flawed.

He has 21 league goals, but nine of those came with 3 hattricks in games we would have won regardless - FGR, Bristol Rovers and Morecombe.

Take those out and he has 12 goals in 40 league games. Still decent, but not that consistent.

He also netted in comfortable wins over Charlton, Accrington, Cheltenham, FGR plus the one in our thrashing at Barnsley. 

I’d say his most important goals this season was the winner vs Posh early season, the equalizer at Port Vale and his double last night.

But there have also been many games this season where he hasn’t had an impact. In fact, only 4 of his 21 goals this season have come against top half sides.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

I enjoy watching McGoldrick play. And while his numbers are impressive, they’re actually a bit flawed.

He has 21 league goals, but nine of those came with 3 hattricks in games we would have won regardless - FGR, Bristol Rovers and Morecombe.

Take those out and he has 12 goals in 40 league games. Still decent, but not that consistent.

He also netted in comfortable wins over Charlton, Accrington, Cheltenham, FGR plus the one in our thrashing at Barnsley. 

I’d say his most important goals this season was the winner vs Posh early season, the equalizer at Port Vale and his double last night.

But there have also been many games this season where he hasn’t had an impact. In fact, only 4 of his 21 goals this season have come against top half sides.

Hold on, hold on, hold on right there for one second. 

If you was to do the same with say Messi, Ronaldo, Haaland, Salah, removed all goals which their clubs would have won anyway, how many goals would they have had?

You can’t just dismiss goals as they didn’t “win” the game, I mean you can and are free to do so, yet to say his numbers are flawed is a little silly.

Say we finished level on points with Peterborough in 6th place, yet we finished ahead on goal difference, do we shout McGoldrick back over and say you can have those goals again now? Come on now.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I would put that down more to the fact that, against the top sides, the supply to our strikers hasn't been good enough. Fewer or no chances created means fewer or no goals.

19 minutes ago, David said:

Hold on, hold on, hold on right there for one second. 

If you was to do the same with say Messi, Ronaldo, Haaland, Salah, removed all goals which their clubs would have won anyway, how many goals would they have had?

You can’t just dismiss goals as they didn’t “win” the game, I mean you can and are free to do so, yet to say his numbers are flawed is a little silly.

Say we finished level on points with Peterborough in 6th place, yet we finished ahead on goal difference, do we shout McGoldrick back over and say you can have those goals again now? Come on now.

Here you go @Bris Vegas

Haaland 22/23 season 

-3 v Forest, 3-0

-1 v Wolves, 0-2

-1 v Southampton, 3-0

-1 v Spurs, 3-2

-1 v Bournemouth, 1-3

-1 v Arsenal, 1-2

-2 v Southampton, 1-2

Total -10

32 Official Premier League Goals

22 Bris Vegas Premier League Goals Rule

Messi 20/21 season

-1 v Villarreal, 3-0

-2 v Real Betis, 3-2

-1 v Osasuna, 3-0

-1 v Valladolid, 0-2

-2 v Granada, 0-2

-2 v Alaves, 3-1

-2 v Elche, 1-0

-1 v Sevilla, 0-1

-2 v Huesca, 2-1

-2 v Real Sociedad, 1-4

-2 v Getafe, 3-2

Total -18

30 Official La Liga Goals

12 Bris Vegas La Liga Goals Rule

The scores are what they would have been if you deduct the goals scored by Haaland & Messi.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Here you go @Bris Vegas

Haaland 22/23 season 

-3 v Forest, 3-0

-1 v Wolves, 0-2

-1 v Southampton, 3-0

-1 v Spurs, 3-2

-1 v Bournemouth, 1-3

-1 v Arsenal, 1-2

-2 v Southampton, 1-2

Total -10

32 Official Premier League Goals

22 Bris Vegas Premier League Goals Rule

Messi 20/21 season

-1 v Villarreal, 3-0

-2 v Real Betis, 3-2

-1 v Osasuna, 3-0

-1 v Valladolid, 0-2

-2 v Granada, 0-2

-2 v Alaves, 3-1

-2 v Elche, 1-0

-1 v Sevilla, 0-1

-2 v Huesca, 2-1

-2 v Real Sociedad, 1-4

-2 v Getafe, 3-2

Total -18

30 Official La Liga Goals

12 Bris Vegas La Liga Goals Rule

The scores are what they would have been if you deduct the goals scored by Haaland & Messi.

Deducting the goals doesn’t count and is a silly arguement because you the replacement player could easily have scored the same.

The arguement I’m making is the quantity of games scoring is better then the overall quantity of goals scored.

McGoldrick has only scored in 12 games this season. 

It’s a form of stat padding against crap opposition. 

Off the top of my head Haaland scored against United, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Brighton, Liverpool, Fulham and Villa. In fact, the only top 10 side he hasn’t scored against is Brentford.

Our record against top half sides is poor. McGoldrick’s record against top half sides is something like 4 goals in 20 games. It’s not great is it?

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Deducting the goals doesn’t count and is a silly arguement because you the replacement player could easily have scored the same.

The arguement I’m making is the quantity of games scoring is better then the overall quantity of goals scored.

McGoldrick has only scored in 12 games this season. 

It’s a form of stat padding against crap opposition. 

Off the top of my head Haaland scored against United, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Brighton, Liverpool, Fulham and Villa. In fact, the only top 10 side he hasn’t scored against is Brentford.

Our record against top half sides is poor. McGoldrick’s record against top half sides is something like 4 goals in 20 games. It’s not great is it?

How is it stat padding? Surely you don't need an explanation what goal difference is and what it can mean in the table.

Also, let's say he scores a hat trick, we win 3-0, had he just scored the one, the opposition may have not played as a team defeated.

It's as daft as the penalties don't count argument when used against strikers like Kane. Every goal matters.

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

...Our record against top half sides is poor. McGoldrick’s record against top half sides is something like 4 goals in 20 games. It’s not great is it?

Thank goodness for the rest our squad! Don't be silly of course Didzy's goal-scoring is impressive and I think there'll be some assists too.

2 minutes ago, David said:

How is it stat padding? Surely you don't need an explanation what goal difference is and what it can mean in the table.

Also, let's say he scores a hat trick, we win 3-0, had he just scored the one, the opposition may have not played as a team defeated.

It's as daft as the penalties don't count argument when used against strikers like Kane. Every goal matters.

Of course goal difference matters.

But take Man City and Haaland for example. They didn’t sign him to improve their goal difference. They didn’t sign him to score three goals against Forest in a game they would win 5-0 anyway without him.

They signed Haaland to score the big goals in the big moments against the best teams. As that is what the best players do. They signed him to score goals against Arsenal, Bayern and Man Utd, not stat pad against Forest, Bournemouth and Southampton.

McGoldrick’s record shows 17 of his 21 goals have come against lower half sides with 9 of those in 3 games against FGR, Morecombe and Bristol Rovers.

Those goals against crap opposition could be the difference between 6th and 7th via goal difference.

But do you know what might make an even bigger difference? Scoring key goals against our direct rivals or at least teams higher up the league.

I’d have much rather McGoldrick have scored those nine goals he did against FGR, Morecombe and Bristol Rovers spread out away against the likes of Bolton, Pompey, Charlton, Ipswich, Plymouth, Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Wycombe - there we have 8 away games where he didn’t score in and we either drew or narrowly lost. Goals against those teams and we’re looking at 10-15 points extra.

We would have beaten Morecombe, FGR and Bristol Rovers anyway without McGoldrick. 

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

No they aren't, you've just come up with some random rubbish to try and flaw them.

Time for a new thread I think, IS BRIS VEGAS A SECOND RATE POSTER?