Is PP becoming second rate?

Bris Vegas

Before I start, I’m not advocating for a new stadium or anything silly like that.

But when PP was built, it was deemed one of the top stadiums in the country. At least in the top 12 or so.

Since then, Leicester, Southampton, Brighton, Swansea, Cardiff, Reading and Coventry have all built stadiums of similar ilk.

I remember when Derby was looked at as a potential option for a WC stadium had we won I believe in 2006.

Was it considered in 2018? Now, there is no chance.

Man City, West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs have all got far better stadiums. Everton’s is underway. I saw the list for the Euro bid and noticed stadiums like Old Trafford and Anfield weren’t there.

I think it’s just a further realization that we have become a second tier club (third momentarily).

I always thought Derby ‘belonged’ in the top flight. The more I think about it, especially looking at the modern game, I don’t think that is the case anymore.

I think that's probably overstating it a bit, but obviously anything built currently is bound to look more shiny.

It is looking its age in some places but it seems fixable as the bones of it is still pretty impressive based on the comments by away fans, particularly this year. Some Brizzle Rovers fans I spoke to were waxing lyrical about it on the way back to the station and listed the stadium as one of the the main reasons why they wanted to make the trip.

I think the concourses perhaps look a little basic and I think the yellowing partly translucent screens at the back of the stands look a bit shabby but that's all fixable if the money is there to do it. Most of it is pretty cosmetic I'd say but no, we are not in the queue for tournaments any more as there are plenty of newer modern stadia choose from.

Edited by Alty_Ram
typo..

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Before I start, I’m not advocating for a new stadium or anything silly like that.

But when PP was built, it was deemed one of the top stadiums in the country. At least in the top 12 or so.

Since then, Leicester, Southampton, Brighton, Swansea, Cardiff, Reading and Coventry have all built stadiums of similar ilk.

I remember when Derby was looked at as a potential option for a WC stadium had we won I believe in 2006.

Man City, West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs have all got far better stadiums. Everton’s is underway. I saw the list for the Euro bid and noticed stadiums like Old Trafford and Anfield weren’t there.

I think it’s just a further realization that we have become a second tier club (third momentarily).

I always thought Derby ‘belonged’ in the top flight. The more I think about it, especially looking at the modern game, I don’t think that is the case anymore.

I don’t get your point, Pride park is 26 years old and other stadiums have been built since. Are you saying that  Bournemouth’s ground is better then ours as they are in thePremier league.

21 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Think the fact we’ve been in the top division for something like six years of the last thirty two is probably a bigger sign of that. 

Isn't it also about capacity? Ours is modest for international games.

If we get back to the Prem and have the backing from the fans, we could expand the capacity and then we'll be considered. 

Although for those types of matches the city of Derby isn't a big tourist draw like London or Liverpool might be. I'm surprised that Liverpool weren't on that Euros shortlist.

Pride Park is not “second rate” or where we are as a club, we would still be comfortably in the top 20 in the country yet when picking stadiums for World Cup/Euro competitions, it’s not just the stadium that is under consideration.

Geographically we would be up against Villa Park.

10k more seats, Birmingham has better transport links, better airport, more hotels and just a generally bigger city to accommodate thousands of tourists descending on the city.

Would you honestly say in isolation that Villa Park is a better stadium than Pride Park? Only by capacity really.

Obviously as years go on, other clubs will build bigger and better stadiums, we will be pushed down the list unless we can secure Premier League football and look to expand the stadium, even then, unless we added a significant number of seats we still wouldn’t be chosen ahead of Villa Park for the other reasons mentioned.

39 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Oh yes we do mate and many say how top class pp is and many say best stadium ever been too.

Is an old ground second rate compared to a new ground, do you really need this question answering?

Ive done around 90 league grounds Id guess, so feel reasonably well placed to analyse Pride Park.

In terms of capacity, we are probably top 25%.

In terms of atmosphere I don't think we are anything special, pretty average. 

In terms of facilities I think it's pretty decent.

Edited by G STAR RAM

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Isn't it also about capacity? Ours is modest for international games.

If we get back to the Prem and have the backing from the fans, we could expand the capacity and then we'll be considered. 

Although for those types of matches the city of Derby isn't a big tourist draw like London or Liverpool might be. I'm surprised that Liverpool weren't on that Euros shortlist.

They picked the new Everton ground, so they would never have had both.    
It’s  the Man U fans that should be the most put out, Theatre of dreams my arse.

If you've got massive stadiums like Tottenhams ground, West Hams ground, Arsenals ground and Wembley all with great transport links (ok maybe not tottenhams ground) that are surrounded by places to eat, pubs, etc why the f*** would you even consider a small stadium in a small city that has abysmal transport links and is placed in the deserted wasteland that is Pride Park industrial estate.

I love Derby and I love Pride Park Stadium, but anyone who thinks we can compete with the big stadiums needs to give their head a wobble.

4 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

One problem is offering the city of Derby as an attractive place to spend the non-football parts of tournament life. Its a dump!

Whoa there! 

As long as they like beer, and nothing else, the city has a lot to offer. 

If nothing else, it's easy access to the most stunning landscapes you could wish for, which are always high on the wishlist for football tourists.