Is PP becoming second rate?

Bris Vegas

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Yes but you’re just weird. What with wanting a return to blue shorts as well. 😀

Seriuosly though, I think many of us have a selective memory when it comes to the BBG. Often a great atmosphere especially in the Popside underneath the “posh seats” in the Ley/Co-op stand but, there was a lot wrong with it.

I'd go back tomorrow.  Worth 15 points a season when it was pumping.  Today's superstars would s*** themselves at every throw in.  Weird as charged. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Capacity, facilities, design and comfort are surely the most important aspects?

I mean, we can safely say Wembley, City, United, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, Villa, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and Chelsea are better in those.

After that we have Saints, Leicester and Coventry which are more modern and of similar size. 

Brighton, while smaller, is more modern too.

Middlesbrough’s is older, but slightly bigger and you’ve got to admit, more original.

Hillsborough is bigger. But lacks elsewhere.

Wolves, Sheff Utd, West Brom, Forest, Stoke, Norwich, Birmingham and Ipswich are all relatively comparable in size. But I don’t think none are as nice.

I’m not even talking UK where Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park and Millennium Stadium are all better. But those would get picked ahead of PP for a UK based tournament.

Have you ever sat in a seat at Goodison.  Guaranteed to give you haemorrhoids after 10 mins.  

All I’m saying is that it has been 50 years since we last won a trophy.

And pushing towards 25 years since we actually had a couple of seasons competing in the top flight.

I’ve come to terms with Derby the club settling into becoming a second tier club.

But I’ve always felt Pride Park was in the top 12-15 best stadiums in the country.

Now, I think we are falling out of that bracket, and I fear within the next 10 years our stadium will match what we now are as a club. Second rate.

Edited by Bris Vegas

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

And pushing towards 25 years since we actually had a couple of seasons competing in the top flight.

I’ve come to terms with Derby the club settling into becoming a second tier club.

But I’ve always felt Pride Park was in the top 12-15 best stadiums in the country.

Now, I think we are falling out of that bracket, and I fear within the next 10 years our stadium will match what we now are as a club. Second rate.

OK good night.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Before I start, I’m not advocating for a new stadium or anything silly like that.

But when PP was built, it was deemed one of the top stadiums in the country. At least in the top 12 or so.

Since then, Leicester, Southampton, Brighton, Swansea, Cardiff, Reading and Coventry have all built stadiums of similar ilk.

I remember when Derby was looked at as a potential option for a WC stadium had we won I believe in 2006.

Was it considered in 2018? Now, there is no chance.

Man City, West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs have all got far better stadiums. Everton’s is underway. I saw the list for the Euro bid and noticed stadiums like Old Trafford and Anfield weren’t there.

I think it’s just a further realization that we have become a second tier club (third momentarily).

I always thought Derby ‘belonged’ in the top flight. The more I think about it, especially looking at the modern game, I don’t think that is the case anymore.

Bored Bris?

Old Football stadiums had character as did the BBG

The popside was so crammed sometimes it was unreal but the atmosphere seemed a lot more raucous and intimidating for visiting teams 

PP is a nice stadium but lacks character for me like a lot of modern stadiums its also too quiet and lacks atmosphere at times 

4 hours ago, David said:

Pride Park is not “second rate” or where we are as a club, we would still be comfortably in the top 20 in the country yet when picking stadiums for World Cup/Euro competitions, it’s not just the stadium that is under consideration.

Geographically we would be up against Villa Park.

10k more seats, Birmingham has better transport links, better airport, more hotels and just a generally bigger city to accommodate thousands of tourists descending on the city.

Would you honestly say in isolation that Villa Park is a better stadium than Pride Park? Only by capacity really.

Obviously as years go on, other clubs will build bigger and better stadiums, we will be pushed down the list unless we can secure Premier League football and look to expand the stadium, even then, unless we added a significant number of seats we still wouldn’t be chosen ahead of Villa Park for the other reasons mentioned.

Villa Park capacity for the tournament proposal is quoted at 52k.

That's a whole 20k, or 2/3 bigger than pride park.

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Less than fifty mate

Brighton, Brentford, Fulham, Burnley, Southampton, West Ham, Newcastle etc

monsters-inc-sully.gif

Not concerned about pride park at the moment. It's a nice stadium and still a top 15 stadium in England which is pretty good considering we've been out of the top flight for the best part of two decades. 

Derby has potential no doubt and there is room for expansion and improvement at pride park but ultimately nothing will change until we are back competing in the premier League where the club should be.

Edited by Rammy03

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

How many of the grounds that you are telling us are so great have you actually been to out of interest?

As you've pointed out, weve been second rate for so long, I'm wondering when you've actually had the opportunity to visit them?

11 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

Have you been to Stokes ground where the corner isnt filled in, its horrible.

Have you been to Villa Park and seen the Holt End and obvioisoy Anfield?  Both look fantastic behind the goal.

No bowl required 

I’m still remembering going to Millmoor amongst its terraced streets and the ladies toilets being hard to find, with a big queue at half time and a big fat spider glaring at me. Think it still had a pull chain too. 
I don’t want that but I don’t think I want to be smartened up too much either. Football is already being removed from the pastime of ordinary people and turned into a sparkly spectacle 

Are we trying not to get the point on purpose here?

Since we’ve been out of the top flight consistently for over 20 years, and other clubs who have been up there have invested in stadia since then, our clubs standing has fallen relative to where it was in say the late 90s.

There’s nothing controversial in that.

What I do find interesting is that the other two clubs to come down with us the last time we were properly in the Premier League (I don’t count 07/08) - Sheffield Weds and Ipswich - have fallen even further away from their heights and haven’t been back to the top flight since. Neither have been able to invest in their ground.

26 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I’m still remembering going to Millmoor amongst its terraced streets and the ladies toilets being hard to find, with a big queue at half time and a big fat spider glaring at me. Think it still had a pull chain too. 
I don’t want that but I don’t think I want to be smartened up too much either. Football is already being removed from the pastime of ordinary people and turned into a sparkly spectacle 

Hillsborough is the same.

Pride Park needs a spruce up for sure, but it is still one of the best in the country.  Like Boro we were early to move to a new stadium from our traditional home, thus it makes sense that others would join us and even surpass us.  I don’t think it is any sign of “second ratedness” at all.

I had the impression that it could be expanded capacity wise to 40,000 if required?

The concourses could definitely do with an update, and a review of the food and bar facilities.  They are really poor not only in what they offer, but the snail pace service…

Mind you it could be worse, we could support a club down the other end of the A52, that doesn’t even own the land the ground is built on, and requires a major overhaul to bring it up to anything like the standard of Pride Park…