Is PP becoming second rate?

Bris Vegas

58 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Are we trying not to get the point on purpose here?

Since we’ve been out of the top flight consistently for over 20 years, and other clubs who have been up there have invested in stadia since then, our clubs standing has fallen relative to where it was in say the late 90s.

There’s nothing controversial in that.

What I do find interesting is that the other two clubs to come down with us the last time we were properly in the Premier League (I don’t count 07/08) - Sheffield Weds and Ipswich - have fallen even further away from their heights and haven’t been back to the top flight since. Neither have been able to invest in their ground.

So the point is that something new is in better condition than something old?

Every day is a school day!

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

I’m still remembering going to Millmoor amongst its terraced streets and the ladies toilets being hard to find, with a big queue at half time and a big fat spider glaring at me. Think it still had a pull chain too. 
I don’t want that but I don’t think I want to be smartened up too much either. Football is already being removed from the pastime of ordinary people and turned into a sparkly spectacle 

I do, Ever had a warm pork pie, That's how they have them up there, Vile food that ended up on their terrace steps, Jelly turned to snot...Christ on a bike, Back in the day, Away food at football matches was for the hardy or the scientists 😁

13 hours ago, Rev said:

Whoa there! 

As long as they like beer, and nothing else, the city has a lot to offer. 

If nothing else, it's easy access to the most stunning landscapes you could wish for, which are always high on the wishlist for football tourists.

Agreed. The city has been turned into a dump by our rulers, but the county is indeed an absolute beauty!

When built, the foundations laid were sufficient to allow extra room to be added to raise the capacity to 44K. Not sure what the current state of play is but under previous ownerships, the plan was get back in the Premier League, play the first season with the current capacity and, provided we avoid relegation, do the work to increase capacity to 44K.

The foundations are strong enough, despite their being a Foxes shirt embedded in the concrete, for the extensions, the plans are there, planning permission is there. All we need now is a 2nd consecutive PL season and 44K will be a fact.

7 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

When built, the foundations laid were sufficient to allow extra room to be added to raise the capacity to 44K. Not sure what the current state of play is but under previous ownerships, the plan was get back in the Premier League, play the first season with the current capacity and, provided we avoid relegation, do the work to increase capacity to 44K.

The foundations are strong enough, despite their being a Foxes shirt embedded in the concrete, for the extensions, the plans are there, planning permission is there. All we need now is a 2nd consecutive PL season and 44K will be a fact.

Fairly sure planning permission will have expired. That’s not to say we can’t reapply.

For a club that almost ceased to exist less than a year ago it is excellent. For once I think MM was right to invest so much in the training ground etc ahead of anything else at PP. Its where players know they'll be most of the time and is impressive, presumably to potential recruits young and old! Shame he made such a pigs ear of everything else

24 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

44k would be way too big for Derby. I’d hate playing in an almost half empty stadium. 33k is perfectly big enough for our size. 
Second rate sounds a little harsh, but the stadium suits Derbys standing. It’s big enough and of a suitable quality. We’re not one of the top clubs in the country, it was built 25yrs ago and clubs have developed stadia in that time. No big deal. 

41 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

How can you be so sure?

The last time we had a prolonged run in the Premier League, in our 3rd season (1998-1999) out of our 19 home games we only got more than 30,000 on 7 occasions. It wasn't a season we struggled at the wrong end of the table. I don't know what the official capacity was that season but there were more than 32,000 on 4 occasions. Maybe the away end didn't sell out but, from what I can see, there were less than 30,000 for the visits of Leeds (of course they would have sold out 😀), Leicester, Sheffield Wednesday and Villa. I would have thought all of these would have either sold out or got very close.

I reckon, before there should be any thoughts of extending the stadium we'd need much than just 2 seasons in the PL and pretty much sell out every game. PP is obviously plenty big enough for league 1, is about right for the Championship and not far off for the PL. As others have said, it probably just needs a bit of cosmetic work. Safe standing in the South Stand would be much more of a priority than extending as far as I'm concerned.

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Is PP within the best 20 stadiums in the country now?

Not sure what this post is for. The BBG was probably in the bottom 20 grounds but that didn’t matter one iota to those who went there - a club is defined by the devotion and fervour of its' following, not the architectural status of its' home.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not sure what this post is for. The BBG was probably in the bottom 20 grounds but that didn’t matter one iota to those who went there - a club is defined by the devotion and fervour of its' following, not the architectural status of its' home.

Good point.

I remember, after we went to Portsmouth a few seasons ago I posted a friendly comment on their forum making a comment about their stadium (perhaps looking a bit tired or something, I can't remember now). I was quite rightly put down by someone responding that they don't have a "stadium" but they do have a football ground.

p.s. It was a dump though.😀

34 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

How can you be so sure?

The last time we had a prolonged run in the Premier League, in our 3rd season (1998-1999) out of our 19 home games we only got more than 30,000 on 7 occasions. It wasn't a season we struggled at the wrong end of the table. I don't know what the official capacity was that season but there were more than 32,000 on 4 occasions. Maybe the away end didn't sell out but, from what I can see, there were less than 30,000 for the visits of Leeds (of course they would have sold out 😀), Leicester, Sheffield Wednesday and Villa. I would have thought all of these would have either sold out or got very close.

I reckon, before there should be any thoughts of extending the stadium we'd need much than just 2 seasons in the PL and pretty much sell out every game. PP is obviously plenty big enough for league 1, is about right for the Championship and not far off for the PL. As others have said, it probably just needs a bit of cosmetic work. Safe standing in the South Stand would be much more of a priority than extending as far as I'm concerned.

We pretty much sell out PP in the third division. There aren't that many seats free for the bigger games and I think a lot of those are season ticket holders that can't make the game for whatever reason. In those previous seasons you mention those season ticket holders were counted as being present. I think there would be mileage in extending the South stand even if not anywhere else. My 15 year old son and his mates would love to go in there but its sold out. I reckon there are loads of younger fans who would be the same 

56 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

How can you be so sure?

That was the intention of owners this century, thus far. Not sure if David Clowes is of the same opinion. However, as he owns and runs a development company, his firm could do the build and both the club and Clowes Developments would be happy.

I can be so sure of the infrastructure being there (and the Foxes shirt) because a relative was one of the managers on the site for the build.

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

We were told the opposite at SCG, safe standing will start in Upper tiers. South and away areas.

Also, next priority is to improve the hospitality offer for regular fans - fan park etc.

Some concourses are very restricted as to what they can sell as there isn't enough room behind the counters. E.g. West Stand Upper.

Prawn sandwiches it is then.😂