Is PP becoming second rate?

Bris Vegas

17 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

That was the intention of owners this century, thus far. Not sure if David Clowes is of the same opinion. However, as he owns and runs a development company, his firm could do the build and both the club and Clowes Developments would be happy.

I can be so sure of the infrastructure being there (and the Foxes shirt) because a relative was one of the managers on the site for the build.

I'm not doubting the infrastructure or the foxes shirt. I thought you meant we'd fill it with 44k

42 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

We pretty much sell out PP in the third division. There aren't that many seats free for the bigger games and I think a lot of those are season ticket holders that can't make the game for whatever reason. In those previous seasons you mention those season ticket holders were counted as being present. I think there would be mileage in extending the South stand even if not anywhere else. My 15 year old son and his mates would love to go in there but its sold out. I reckon there are loads of younger fans who would be the same 

Surely that's even less evidence to support the argument that we'd fill a bigger stadium if the sub 30,000 attendances back then even included some who didn't attend. 

34 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely that's even less evidence to support the argument that we'd fill a bigger stadium if the sub 30,000 attendances back then even included some who didn't attend. 

If we were to become an established premier League club the stadium would need extending as we would fill it easily

48 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

It’s worth £80m, hate to think what a top rate stadium would cost 

Forest Green's new 5k capacity stadium is part of a £100m development which includes a hotel, industrial and office space, whilst Luton's new 23k seater will cost around £100m too.

Brighton's 31.8k capacity stadium was £93m 14 years ago.

Tottenham's 62.8k seater cost £1 billion.

Everton's will exceed £300m for a capacity of 52.8k

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

If we were to become an established premier League club the stadium would need extending as we would fill it easily

The current capacity yes but I’m not sure if it were expanded to 44,000. I guess it’s all a question of how long it takes to become an “established PL club”. Leicester and Southampton both probably thought they were. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Well no it supports the argument that attendances have grown since then

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm not doubting the infrastructure or the foxes shirt. I thought you meant we'd fill it with 44k

We'd probably be around 80% full for around a dozen games. Nigh on full for the 2 Mancs, 'Pool. Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham. Red Dogs and Foxes would be about full too if either were in the PL at the same time as us. 

Somehow we'd have to reorganise the ground so the away fans could have around 10K fans. That would be the biggest issue IMO.

After 26 years PP could definitely do with an upgrade. Stadium MK is by some distance the best stadium in L1 (for facilities and design) and probably in the Championship too 

I wasn’t suggesting PP needs an upgrade. I wasn’t pointing out the obvious either that newer stadiums tend to look nicer than PP.

Would you still consider PP is still a PL class stadium? When it was first built, it was highlighted as a potential international venue at a major tournament. That ship has sailed now.

But within the next 10 years, do you think the stadium will become second rate? In other words, a second tier stadium (not in the top 20 in the country) to match a second tier club?

Will there be anything about Derby in 10 years time that screams top tier class if the stadium falls out of the top bracket?

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I wasn’t suggesting PP needs an upgrade. I wasn’t pointing out the obvious either that newer stadiums tend to look nicer than PP.

Would you still consider PP is still a PL class stadium? When it was first built, it was highlighted as a potential international venue at a major tournament. That ship has sailed now.

But within the next 10 years, do you think the stadium will become second rate? In other words, a second tier stadium (not in the top 20 in the country) to match a second tier club?

Will there be anything about Derby in 10 years time that screams top tier class if the stadium falls out of the top bracket?

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by using such provocative terms as second rate

Club fanbase is top 20 and so is Moor Farm

Edited by sage

i think the biggest mistake they made when building pride park was to not make one bigger stand and then a few smaller ones instead of the same size all round.

clubs are clocking on what a difference a huge stand can make, you look at the way spurs designed their new ground and many others are being built that way at the moment - brentford another.

but facilities wise we are above our position as a club, no question about that

Edited by alram

It seems a lot of opposition memorabilia is under Pride Park. I was told by a fella that used to own a bar in Notts that he had a couple of the workmen building PP come in laughing…. The joke was that they’d buried Florist scarves under the penalty spots 🤷🏽‍♂️

41 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

pretty obvious statement though isnt it?

newer stadiums are going to look nicer and be more relevant than one 25 years old. thats just a fact, unless you advocate building a new stadium every 2 decades to keep up?

21 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

It seems a lot of opposition memorabilia is under Pride Park. I was told by a fella that used to own a bar in Notts that he had a couple of the workmen building PP come in laughing…. The joke was that they’d buried Florist scarves under the penalty spots 🤷🏽‍♂️

I never cease to be amazed at oppo fans who think having buried memorabilia under their rival's pitch is some kind of "hex", even if  it's true (which it probably isn't).