Referees

Seaside Ram

7 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Yeah you're probably right. I just find it harder to believe he's a cheat than just plain incompetent.

If a ref sends a player off when he's not seen an offence its far more than incompetence. Its not a minor decision like a throw in or a free kick, its a straight red for blatant foul play. The ref did not see any foul play. Wildsmith did not handle the ball.

8 hours ago, ossieram said:

You haven't got a point.

Plenty of teams dominate possession and lose just like we have in the past.

Bolton were well ahead on possession before we went 1-0 and still fell behind. 

…and yet we lost. We also gave away a penalty and had a player sent off because we didn’t have possession of the ball.

Blame the ref all you want, but if you keep the ball it doesn’t happen 

1 hour ago, chadlad said:

…and yet we lost. We also gave away a penalty and had a player sent off because we didn’t have possession of the ball.

Correct! Wildsmith had to come charging out of his area because we were disorganised again after giving the ball away again. 

doubting the referees honesty is a bit daft, his competence maybe. 

12 hours ago, chadlad said:

Missing the point…

Which is?

I believe that I do see your point, but it was a genuine question. How much possession did we have before the sending off? We were away against one of the fancied teams. They were always going to press early on. We rode out the storm and got in front. They were then obviously going to press on again, and we were also going to let them play the ball around at the back more. Having the ball is obviously important, but it's not the be all and end all.

24 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Which is?

I believe that I do see your point, but it was a genuine question. How much possession did we have before the sending off? We were away against one of the fancied teams. They were always going to press early on. We rode out the storm and got in front. They were then obviously going to press on again, and we were also going to let them play the ball around at the back more. Having the ball is obviously important, but it's not the be all and end all.

I think someone on the matchday thread said it was similar, 27% or so.

2 hours ago, chadlad said:

Ridiculous statement, Bolton had possession but they conceded a legitimate goal, cancelled out for a penalty they conceded, they then should have conceded another 2 penalties, all whilst having this wonderful possession of the ball.

For all of their wonderful possession, they were given a penalty for a foul outside the box and fluked a goal from a deflected cross. Had their player been actually inside the box, I don't think Smith would have risked lunging in, but he was outside the box and Smith was running across the face of the box and knew that any challenge would have been outside.

Only the impossible 100% possession definitely wins games.

On 07/09/2023 at 23:10, bcnram said:

In the heat of the moment in real time it looked like it had hit his hand. I would think the conversation with the Lino was more about was it a clear goal scoring opportunity. 
These things happen, that is just the way it is. 🤷🏽

Strawman argument

to us with a view from the other end of the pitch, or on tv with the view of sitting on top of the stand, compared to the view of someone 10 metres away. What it appeared to us is irrelevant when assessing the refs decision making

23 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Yeah you're probably right. I just find it harder to believe he's a cheat than just plain incompetent.

Apart from the factor whereby he has now given 5 contentious and completely wrong penalty decisions against us in just two matches. That isn't just incompetence. And I hope that Derby County request that he never officiates at one of our matches ever gain.

It was unusual for the club to reveal details of the assessor's report for the Bolton game, I wonder if we've broken a rule here? It would be nice if we could see all assessor's reports, but would lead to less critical reports in the future?

The outcome was what we all suspected at the time, should have been a penalty for handball, shouldn't have disallowed a goal for our penalty, shouldn't have been a sending off and shouldn't have been a penalty against Smith. The only thing that I would say in his defence, is that his assistants didn't assist, the last 2 decisions should have been the assistant's call.

A pretty damming verdict against the ref, who's poor decisions ALL went against Derby. His integrity after this and the Plymouth game last season needs to be seriously questioned and he shouldn't officiate at another Derby game this season, out of fairness to himself and Derby. He will be under so much pressure in the next Derby game, it would be impossible for him to perform properly.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

The outcome was what we all suspected at the time, should have been a penalty for handball, shouldn't have disallowed a goal for our penalty, shouldn't have been a sending off and shouldn't have been a penalty against Smith. The only thing that I would say in his defence, is that his assistants didn't assist, the last 2 decisions should have been the assistant's call.

A pretty damming verdict against the ref, who's poor decisions ALL went against Derby. His integrity after this and the Plymouth game last season needs to be seriously questioned and he shouldn't officiate at another Derby game this season, out of fairness to himself and Derby. He will be under so much pressure in the next Derby game, it would be impossible for him to perform properly.

4 huge calls he got wrong, These are not free kicks throw-ins or corners, He has form against us as you posted...the word incompetent is the best I would describe him, I guess a re fresher course is/has been on the agenda and or a sit down with the assessor to view the video of the game.

The outcome is we lost 3 points instead of winning 3 points and a manager could have gotten the sack(altho PW is safe)a multi million £ game in the hands of some incompetent officials...a shocking state of affairs 😡   

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

It was unusual for the club to reveal details of the assessor's report for the Bolton game, I wonder if we've broken a rule here? It would be nice if we could see all assessor's reports, but would lead to less critical reports in the future?

Based upon that we should have been at least 2-0 up with 11 men on the pitch. 
If he officiated a Forest game like that his house wouldn’t be standing now.

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Based upon that we should have been at least 2-0 up with 11 men on the pitch. 
If he officiated a Forest game like that his house wouldn’t be standing now.

You can never know what would have followed had one key decision been made differently, we may have missed the penalty and lost 5 nil. But we could have kicked on from the early goal and Bolton may have collapsed and we could have won 5 nil.

It would be interesting to see the assessor's view of the rugby tackle on Bradley, looking at the incident on tv, you can't discount that Bradley was being really clever and pulled the defender on top of him, although the defender was not even looking at the ball at any time, which should give the ref a clue.

26 minutes ago, ram59 said:

You can never know what would have followed had one key decision been made differently, we may have missed the penalty and lost 5 nil. But we could have kicked on from the early goal and Bolton may have collapsed and we could have won 5 nil.

It would be interesting to see the assessor's view of the rugby tackle on Bradley, looking at the incident on tv, you can't discount that Bradley was being really clever and pulled the defender on top of him, although the defender was not even looking at the ball at any time, which should give the ref a clue.

It would help if they got 50% right but based upon this bloke it looks like he has a vendetta against us. No one can make that many wrong decisions against the same team.

25 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

The report talks about raising standards in the lower leagues. Our forum talks of “Bungs “and burning houses down. We need to get a grip. Start by trying to ref a kids game and see how Easy it is .

On 09/09/2023 at 17:59, DavesaRam said:

Apart from the factor whereby he has now given 5 contentious and completely wrong penalty decisions against us in just two matches. That isn't just incompetence. And I hope that Derby County request that he never officiates at one of our matches ever gain.

spot on. It’s beyond incompetent. He clearly has an agenda. What that may be or why we can only guess but 5 result-defining decisions all in the same direction is beyond statistical chance. It suggests something quite sinister.