V Shrewsbury Town (H) 4th March 15.00

Boycie

5 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

And if you lose 4-1 the players want to get back out there and put it right. Premiership Pep rests players all the time . But Warne does not think that Rooney is capable playing third tier football , to give Smith a breather.

Im not sure that Warne doesn't think Rooney is capable.  I think it's more a case that Smith hasn't really made any big mistakes and looked like he needed a rest.  

29 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Don't agree. Hourihane better than White and much better than Slbley. 

Name 1 notable thing Hourihane did on Tuesday? White was everywhere and i felt he was the 2nd best player on the pitch, behind only Dobbin. He made double the number of tackles anyone else on the pitch made (7 more than Hourihane). He also blocked shots and played more risky passes in to our forwards.

My view on the night is also backed up by Whoscored. Hourihane was by far our worst starter, woth a rating of 6.37, whilst White was pur 4th best 7.59.

It's also time for Sibley to get a run in his best position. His dribbling drags the opposition out of position, creating space for others. Something we lack with both Hourihane and White in midfield.

Who are we playing - Shrewsbury- it’s Cotterill so the ball will be in the air so Roberts will start and the ball will be by passing midfield if we let them have it. If we are winning late on I fully expect to see Davies on the pitch adding to the numbers. I am not expecting a game of football to break out so hopefully we start very very well.

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Name 1 notable thing Hourihane did on Tuesday? White was everywhere and i felt he was the 2nd best player on the pitch, behind only Dobbin. He made double the number of tackles anyone else on the pitch made (7 more than Hourihane). He also blocked shots and played more risky passes in to our forwards.

My view on the night is also backed up by Whoscored. Hourihane was by far our worst starter, woth a rating of 6.37, whilst White was pur 4th best 7.59.

It's also time for Sibley to get a run in his best position. His dribbling drags the opposition out of position, creating space for others. Something we lack with both Hourihane and White in midfield.

He was doing a brilliant job tidying up the second balls and giving possession back to us. It's often an underrated job that is very important. 

17 hours ago, SKRam said:

Re resting players…… Win the game and no one will want to be resting, all up for playing, that’s the mentality any player will have. ?

The older ones become more prone to injury I think the physios would say 

I think another point is that if Warne gets one of Rooney and Tommo more experience, and if they rise to the challenge , then we have a team with better balance. 

They are bringing a good following ,and they're doing well. This is almost a must win game for them if they want to make the play offs. I'm sure PW is making this clear to our lads. I've had a peek on their site and they seem a good bunch, very respectful of us as a club .

I'm hoping the PP stewards can do better than this though with their away support.

Am I ok posting this on a game thread ? If not apologies. ( Derek Smalls has a Shrewsbury top on throughout this movie )

Out of interest just had a peep at the Shrewsbury fans website. Seem a decent bunch but it really is their cup final. About 50% of their average home crowd are coming which in itself is commendable but it goes to show how we always have to be at our very very best. 

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Out of interest just had a peep at the Shrewsbury fans website. Seem a decent bunch but it really is their cup final. About 50% of their average home crowd are coming which in itself is commendable but it goes to show how we always have to be at our very very best. 

I'm not sure how them bringing about 50% of their average home crowd "goes to show we always have to be at our very very best" but it certainly isn't a result we should take for granted.

As someone else mentioned, it's getting close to must win territory for them which is more of cause for caution than the number of supporters they are bringing.

Edited by Tamworthram

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Yes. We've lost two cup finals at home already - Plymouth's and Port Vale's. We don't want another. And obviously a much larger away support than they are used to is hardly going to hinder them. It helped Plymouth and Vale.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

25 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm not sure how them bringing about 50% of their average home crowd "goes to show we always have to be at our very very best" but it certainly isn't a result we should take for granted.

As someone else mentioned, it's getting close to must win territory for them which is more of cause for caution than the number of supporters they are bringing.

It goes to show because it is a big deal for Shrewsbury Town and is likely to spur their team on beyond a regular match. Hence its like a cup final for them. Isn't that obvious? 

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

11 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It goes to show because it is a big deal for Shrewsbury Town and is likely to spur their team on beyond a regular match. Hence its like a cup final for them. sn't that obvious? 

I think it's a big deal for the Shrewsbury fans (I'm trying hard not to appear patronising) but I reckon for the players it's no bigger deal than playing any of the other top 6 teams. As I say, I reckon the fact that it's almost a must win game for them is more reason not to take the game lightly than the number of fans they are bringing.

I think we know from experience that a big away following doesn't always equate to an above average performance.

Edited by Tamworthram