"I would run through brick walls for this club"

IslandExile

6 hours ago, CodnorRam said:

Future captain?

Oh, I truly hope so.

Missed a few games over Xmas/New Year, and was back on Saturday.  I hadn't realised just how much I'd missed seeing him play.
Every time I watch him, the more fantastic he appears. 
He just oozes "Old School" to me.
Looks, stature, stance, the way he moves, the way he kicks the ball.  Even the cycling shorts (I presume?) make it look like he's wearing longer shorts than the rest! ?

I have high hopes for this one... but with fingers firmly crossed that we get at least a massive chunk of his career here, before that big bad nasty world takes him elsewhere!  

Loved this part. Showed what a genuine, modest guy Cashin is and what a legend Curtis is....

Cashin says he has experienced fellow defender Curtis Davies - who started his career with Luton in 2003 - to thank for helping him overcome doubts he initially had about his place in the side.

"Personally I felt like I got my debut due to the fact we were in administration," Cashin said.

"That was a confidence thing that was tough for me to deal with, because as much as I thought I was doing well I was thinking 'did I deserve this chance?'

"But I spoke to Curtis about it and he let me know he made his debut many years ago in a side that was in administration. Seeing the career he has had and the way he has played through the years gave me a lot of confidence."

Now obviously I'm not comparing Cashin to McFarland in terms of ability, but our Roy was unusual in that he played all over the pitch and could crop up anywhere, which was novel for a centre half. He was really involved in the game whether we were dominant or defending. In the modern game players often seem much more tied to their positions, but Cash reminds me of McFarland for how he is always involved too, often winning or receiving the ball in unlikely positions. Their physical builds are similar too, including not being especially tall. And both win a lot of balls in the opposition box - in the Academy my recollection is that Cash scored a lot of goals like McFarland used to. Hopes he rediscovers that ability for us soon too. Often it was a Sibley set piece landing perfectly on his head.

Absolutely love watching Cash play. The EFL looked as if they were going to force him out of the club and prevented us playing him for quite a while because of the limit on numbers they imposed, but happily we were able to get him into the first team in the end. And he hasn't looked back since.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The EFL looked as if they were going to force him out of the club and prevented us playing him for quite a while because of the limit on numbers they imposed

This is the sickening thing for me. A club shouldn't be penalised for giving some youngsters a chance, whether historically or in the future.

Cashin was one of the lucky ones who managed to get that chance  whilst others didn't. I would put all of Hutchinson, JBrown and Archie Brown in this group (perhaps a couple of others). The first two took up squad places due to having already played first team football, so had to be let go to allow us to sign a couple of experienced players. Archie couldn't play for the same reason as Cashin, so had to leave to chase first team football.

All would have been useful backup players and filled in for the odd 20 minutes here or there.