Chrissy Martin

AdamSumnerDCFC6

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Derby fans used to say that about him when he was smashing 20 goals a season for us.  With the type of player he is, there's always going to be fans that hate him - they want a player who runs about like a madman kicking things, where as Martin has always been a "don't need to run if you're already standing in the right place" type of player.

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

He makes himself available for a pass unlike the current number 9, and so long as he receives the ball somewhere between his big toe and chin he will control it. He knows where his team mates are whereas the team do not know where our current No.9 is for much of the time.

The thing is though, just because a player was never renowned for their mobility it doesn't preclude them from getting even less mobile to the point where even a quick brain can't make up for it and they become ineffective. If that was the case we'd regularly get players in their 40s playing at League One level and above.

People are talking about Chris Martin as if he's exactly the same player they last saw play for us 2 years, 6 months and 11 days ago, not the one who's just been bombed out of Bristol City.

For all we know Chris Martin no longer does stand in the right place because he can't quite get that half a yard on a defender, no longer has the strength to hold it up under pressure from a defender and goes down looking for free kicks referees no longer give him.

Edited by Kokosnuss

4 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

People are talking about Chris Martin as if he's exactly the same player they last saw play for us 2 years, 6 months and 11 days ago, not the one who's just been bombed out of Bristol City.

But the counterpoint to that is, we're not playing against the same standard of opposition as we were 2+ years ago.  We're now a League One club, where half of the league were recently in League two, not a championship club playing against a bunch of recent Prem teams.

40 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We need a more direct replacement for McGoldrick's link up play than anything else. It's not as if McGoldrick does much pressing. He just chooses the times to do it. When you have the wingers and Knight buzzing around you, and Hourihane lurking around the edge of the box, you don't need to be a pacy forward to bring the best out of them.

Absolutely this! ????

The call for a pacey striker doesn't really fit with the way we play. I appreciate it would give us 'something different', but lets be honest, how many times will we play teams that offer the chance to run in behind? Most teams we play will sit in and we have to prise them out or play through them - that needs guile and technique, not pace down the middle.

The Chris Martin that we all recall would be an ideal alternative for McGoldrick, but whether he's still that player; whether he is affordable and whether he is willing to play as and when are all unknowns.

15 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

But the counterpoint to that is, we're not playing against the same standard of opposition as we were 2+ years ago.  We're now a League One club, where half of the league were recently in League two, not a championship club playing against a bunch of recent Prem teams.

True. I'm not saying I wouldn't have him, just guarding against assumptions - It'd be awful if he came here and tarnished people's memories of him by being crap!

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

The thing is though, just because a player was never renowned for their mobility it doesn't preclude them from getting even less mobile to the point where even a quick brain can't make up for it and they become ineffective. If that was the case we'd regularly get players in their 40s playing at League One level and above.

For all we know Chris Martin no longer does stand in the right place because he can't quite get that half a yard on a defender, no longer has the strength to hold it up under pressure from a defender and goes down looking for free kicks referees no longer give him.

I think there are other types of quickness that you lose as you get older that don't have anything to do with pace, stamina, or general "mobility" (ie getting around the pitch).

I'm thinking here of what people call "quick feet", the ability to control and release the ball quickly, those fine motor skills that allow you to just move the ball the split-second before the tackle arrives. Being able to do difficult things quickly and precisely.

As people have said Martin was never fast or mobile, but I imagine part of the reason he's now without a club is that he's also losing those other types of "quickness" too. 

It's something you see in somewhat like Ronaldo. Yes, he's lost pace and dynamism. But I also think his feet just can't do what they used to do, as precisely and quickly as they used to do.

I think there are similarities between Martin and Collins in the sense that they both on the pitch can come across as petulant and mardy if things aren't going their way.

Personally I don't see it on the whole as a negative trait. For me, it shows they care and have a will and a desire to win.

The difference between them in this respect is that Martin generally performed for us. Collins atm is in a bad run of form so it makes him look rather silly being petulant when he isn't doing his own job to a decent standard.

The best way for Collins to stop the constructive criticism is to knuckle down, recapture his form and fire us up the league. 

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

But, but 2013/2015 ……

3 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

It's all about levels. I imagine Didzy isn't the player he once was either! Some players never get there to lose it.

Again I'm sure he'll sign a deal somewhere that gives him a couple of seasons, I saw a Charlton fan tweet he hoped that he'd sign for them. Can't see that we can compete, so unless Barkis is willing...

3 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I think there are similarities between Martin and Collins in the sense that they both on the pitch can come across as petulant and mardy if things aren't going their way.

Personally I don't see it on the whole as a negative trait. For me, it shows they care and have a will and a desire to win.

The difference between them in this respect is that Martin generally performed for us. Collins atm is in a bad run of form so it makes him look rather silly being petulant when he isn't doing his own job to a decent standard.

The best way for Collins to stop the constructive criticism is to knuckle down, recapture his form and fire us up the league. 

Or,in some cases,destructive