Bolton Wanderers (A) Tues 27th Dec, 3pm KO

Not been back long. Massive traffic problems going to Bolton, marginally better coming home.

The first half was not good to watch,  better for us second half.

Some people on here thought Bolton were pretty good. I would rather say they were effective, to a degree. They seemed to have embraced the notion that the best way to get out of this league is to play like a herd of neanderthals. It also helps to get a majority of key decisions go your way, whether they should or not, although from a Rams perspective that us pretty much a “written in stone” EFL rule. So there was the hauling down of NML as he was about to go into the area, with the ref staring at it and giving nothing. It should have bern a yellow card. Or Sibley's run out of defence towards the centre circle when he was blatantly pulled back 5 or 6 times, in full view once more, until he lost balance and had the ball taken off him, setting up a dangerous Bolton attack, and nothing given. Plus the two penalties. The ref was better than some we gave endured, but that isn’t much of a compliment, is it?

It seems Warne adjusted our tactics to something akin to Bolton-ball, as there was considerably more high ball stuff than normal and held our own quite well. We dealt with their physical approach and dished a bit back as well. Good on you, Derby. We would have bern overcome by it under Rosenior, and probably have lost the match last season. Instead we more than matched them for threatening football.

Fozzy was awesome, and it was good to see Max putting it about as well. And it was an ideal type pf game for Jason Knight. As ever Hourihane disappointed, managing one good cross and a couple of blocks all game, and should have been subbed. 83 minutes was way too late to bring Soula on, and he should have replaced Collins who was poor today. Warme does seem to like him, probably for his rumbustious style. But bringing Dobbin changed the game noticeably, putting us in the driving seat. Even Bolton’s endless supply of substitutions didn’t being the game back to them.

I am well happy with today’s point, we are in the top 6, and ahead of the mid-table security many of us thought was do-able, all achieved with a load of bits-and-bobs and unwanteds. Pretty dam good, really!

Right, Cambridge. You’re next!

16 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Not been back long. Massive traffic problems going to Bolton, marginally better coming home.

The first half was not good to watch,  better for us second half.

Some people on here thought Bolton were pretty good. I would rather say they were effective, to a degree. They seemed to have embraced the notion that the best way to get out of this league is to play like a herd of neanderthals. It also helps to get a majority of key decisions go your way, whether they should or not, although from a Rams perspective that us pretty much a “written in stone” EFL rule. So there was the hauling down of NML as he was about to go into the area, with the ref staring at it and giving nothing. It should have bern a yellow card. Or Sibley's run out of defence towards the centre circle when he was blatantly pulled back 5 or 6 times, in full view once more, until he lost balance and had the ball taken off him, setting up a dangerous Bolton attack, and nothing given. Plus the two penalties. The ref was better than some we gave endured, but that isn’t much of a compliment, is it?

It seems Warne adjusted our tactics to something akin to Bolton-ball, as there was considerably more high ball stuff than normal and held our own quite well. We dealt with their physical approach and dished a bit back as well. Good on you, Derby. We would have bern overcome by it under Rosenior, and probably have lost the match last season. Instead we more than matched them for threatening football.

Fozzy was awesome, and it was good to see Max putting it about as well. And it was an ideal type pf game for Jason Knight. As ever Hourihane disappointed, managing one good cross and a couple of blocks all game, and should have been subbed. 83 minutes was way too late to bring Soula on, and he should have replaced Collins who was poor today. Warme does seem to like him, probably for his rumbustious style. But bringing Dobbin changed the game noticeably, putting us in the driving seat. Even Bolton’s endless supply of substitutions didn’t being the game back to them.

I am well happy with today’s point, we are in the top 6, and ahead of the mid-table security many of us thought was do-able, all achieved with a load of bits-and-bobs and unwanteds. Pretty dam good, really!

Right, Cambridge. You’re next!

You don’t know where we would be under Rosenior so can’t make sweeping opinions as facts….but other than that a pretty fair assessment ?

1 hour ago, Mick Brolly said:

Screenshot_20221227-222212_Chrome.jpg.4833ad45ec3573d66ad94cbe62a50ffc.jpg

Cracking turnout & nice seeing the Leeds Rams flag from home fans view ? Better crowd than Wendies managed on a sunny Sat afternoon in August by the way...

Noise level was a bit ordinary however considering the numbers but first half performance was very flat indeed. Real lack of quality before the break, with the ball endlessly slung up the pitch in the general direction of Collins. Would accept conditions weren't ideal but the lack of control was worrying...we simply are not going to beat the better sides in the division by hitting aimless balls into the channel.

Second half was better both in terms of intensity (noticeable improvement in the press) & more composure with the ball...Hourihane in particular started to get on the ball more. Still struggled to create chances though & our best two efforts (other than Bolton CB hitting his own crossbar) were the Collins header & Knight free header late on. Felt both wide men struggled too & that we missed McGoldrick threading the play together in that final 3rd.

A point overall was fair. Bolton huffed & puffed a lot but were also unconvincing...a fantastic shift again from Forsyth, Cashin & Wildsmith ably assisted by our makeshift full backs.

P.s. nice to see Shinnie in the away crowd, rather less happy about the torrential rain & grim traffic out of Horwich

Onto Cambridge ?

Edited by LeedsCityRam

2 hours ago, jono said:

I take your point but at the same time, in our box, I doubt our defenders were all choir boys. Personally I think it would have been unjust for Collins to get a pen (rules or not) he had his shot, the action was done by the time the late / mistimed tackle arrived. In a sense it was “after the fact” … yep agree with you on Knighty .. had his hands all over him, clear Pen but no one made much noise about it. TBH I think both sets of players played it as a man’s game. No histrionics- which made the refs job a lot easier. 

How many of Sibley's yellow/red cards in his career, have been your "after the fact" tackles? It was late, pure and simple, he didn't play the ball, end of. By your criteria every late tackle on a player who has taken a shot or who has cleared the ball, isn't a foul. 

When you consider how many joke penalties, where our players have gone to swing a leg, but haven't and have been penalised, it's a crime.

We were the better team and had two clear penalties not awarded, plus we hit their bar. But we lack attacking thrust. Why? We play our most attacking, creative, dangerous midfielder at left back, leaving a perfectly respectable left back on the bench, and then play three one-paced midfielders in the middle (yes Jason Knight joins Hourihane and Bird with that tag as he looks lost at the moment). Fozzy was immense, but if Warne refuses to play Roberts at left back we desperately need Fozzy there, so we can put Sibley in midfield and put Hourihane or Bird on the bench. I'd say Hourihane. The one thing he has been good for is distance shooting, yet today he had a clear shot 20 yards out for a few seconds with on one closing him down, but turned it down and played a soft pass out wide. WTAF? Then, yet another good chance missed (didn't even connect!) by Dobbin from one yard out. He has to go back in January. One great thing about today is the confidence we can have with Wildsmith in goal. Even in the driving rain with a slippery ball, I felt Bolton would not beat him if we played for a week. Some on here saying Bolton had a decent chance (Charles?) which they did, but had the shot been anywhere inside the post, Wildsmith had it covered.

3 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

Screenshot_20221227-222212_Chrome.jpg.4833ad45ec3573d66ad94cbe62a50ffc.jpg

Biggest gate at Bolton in a decade apparently, thanks to us. 

Don’t really see the point of Knight playing up there.

Can’t remember Fozzie ever playing better than that for us, and that’s saying something. MOTM 

fair result even taking into account that we should have had a pen 

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Don’t really see the point of Knight playing up there.

Can’t remember Fozzie ever playing better than that for us, and that’s saying something. MOTM 

fair result even taking into account that we should have had a pen 

We should have won 1-0 then.  Knight being stopped getting a clear header also had shades of one.

6 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Horrible journey both ways!! Thought I’d as a good game for a 0-0 and quite a lot of up and unders. Very close game and a draw probably fair, we had some good opportunities to nick it.

Think we could do with another option up top, someone with pace and power and a real goal threat. I know Osula possibly has this but need someone consistent. 

thought back four all played well, whole team battled well with no poor performances. 

He seems to be pretty ineffectual as a sub which he shouldn't be with his height and pace.  The intelligence to utilise those around him doesn't seem to be there either as I've seen McGoldrick look totally peed off when he makes great space for himself, only for Osula to try and barge through 3 players.

At League 2 level he'd get 20 goals.  In a few years he might get 20 at this level.  At the minute, I can see him going back and getting in another option if one becomes available. 

5 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We should have won 1-0 then.  Knight being stopped getting a clear header also had shades of one.

Given his height it’s hard to fathom how JK gets on the end of so many plum chances in the box. If he put a few more of them away we’d win more games - whether we deserve to or not  

Still don’t think we can complain about a draw yesterday and if we beat them at home that’ll be a very good return 

Edited by kevinhectoring

Would have taken a point at start of game especially with Didzy unwell. But felt we deserved a win (had lots of chances to win and should have had  penalty). Only worry now is that was hard game in difficult conditions . Now we have two more , which should be very winnable but has that taken it out of the players?  

9 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Cracking turnout & nice seeing the Leeds Rams flag from home fans view ? Better crowd than Wendies managed on a sunny Sat afternoon in August by the way...

Noise level was a bit ordinary however considering the numbers but first half performance was very flat indeed. Real lack of quality before the break, with the ball endlessly slung up the pitch in the general direction of Collins. Would accept conditions weren't ideal but the lack of control was worrying...we simply are not going to beat the better sides in the division by hitting aimless balls into the channel.

Second half was better both in terms of intensity (noticeable improvement in the press) & more composure with the ball...Hourihane in particular started to get on the ball more. Still struggled to create chances though & our best two efforts (other than Bolton CB hitting his own crossbar) were the Collins header & Knight free header late on. Felt both wide men struggled too & that we missed McGoldrick threading the play together in that final 3rd.

A point overall was fair. Bolton huffed & puffed a lot but were also unconvincing...a fantastic shift again from Forsyth, Cashin & Wildsmith ably assisted by our makeshift full backs.

P.s. nice to see Shinnie in the away crowd, rather less happy about the torrential rain & grim traffic out of Horwich

Onto Cambridge ?

That's at least another 7 points we'd have if Knight could head the ball properly.  

Gotta say I feel for the 5k who drove, rode, jogged or swan up to Bolton to witness that.  To say the difference to that & the Forest Green game being chalk & cheese is an understatement.  I know a point away to a play off rival shouldn't be sniffed at but I'm starting to see worrying comparisons to the football we were playing under The Snake.  And for Vydra see McGoldrick.  I know we all like to see Knight in the team, but for the love of God why can't we play him in his natural position?  He's never gonna be a No 10 while he's got a hole in his arse. 

I think it's time to freshen up things for Cambridge, bring back Roberts for Sibley and Captain Curtis for Forsyth or Cashin, and I'd start Knight in the middle for Hourihane because scrapping for 2nd balls all afternoon isn't his game at all.  And if Warne sticks with 4-4-2, do it properly & get Dobbin or Osula up next to Collins.

Rant over...

4 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

That's at least another 7 points we'd have if Knight could head the ball properly.  

Gotta say I feel for the 5k who drove, rode, jogged or swan up to Bolton to witness that.  To say the difference to that & the Forest Green game being chalk & cheese is an understatement.  I know a point away to a play off rival shouldn't be sniffed at but I'm starting to see worrying comparisons to the football we were playing under The Snake.  And for Vydra see McGoldrick.  I know we all like to see Knight in the team, but for the love of God why can't we play him in his natural position?  He's never gonna be a No 10 while he's got a hole in his arse. 

I think it's time to freshen up things for Cambridge, bring back Roberts for Sibley and Captain Curtis for Forsyth or Cashin, and I'd start Knight in the middle for Hourihane because scrapping for 2nd balls all afternoon isn't his game at all.  And if Warne sticks with 4-4-2, do it properly & get Dobbin or Osula up next to Collins.

Rant over...

Not sure why you would want to drop either Forsyth or Cashin they have been our best performers 

8 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Rant over...

Leave Hourihane out, play Bird, Knight and Sibley midfield, put Roberts at LB and play Collins, McGoldrick and Dobbin up front. 
Bring NML and Barkhuisen on as subs when legs tire. Neither look confident enough to start at present.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We were the better team and had two clear penalties not awarded, plus we hit their bar. But we lack attacking thrust. Why? We play our most attacking, creative, dangerous midfielder at left back, leaving a perfectly respectable left back on the bench, and then play three one-paced midfielders in the middle (yes Jason Knight joins Hourihane and Bird with that tag as he looks lost at the moment). Fozzy was immense, but if Warne refuses to play Roberts at left back we desperately need Fozzy there, so we can put Sibley in midfield and put Hourihane or Bird on the bench. I'd say Hourihane. The one thing he has been good for is distance shooting, yet today he had a clear shot 20 yards out for a few seconds with on one closing him down, but turned it down and played a soft pass out wide. WTAF? Then, yet another good chance missed (didn't even connect!) by Dobbin from one yard out. He has to go back in January. One great thing about today is the confidence we can have with Wildsmith in goal. Even in the driving rain with a slippery ball, I felt Bolton would not beat him if we played for a week. Some on here saying Bolton had a decent chance (Charles?) which they did, but had the shot been anywhere inside the post, Wildsmith had it covered.

The Dobbin chance can’t have been the clear cut sitter you claim it to be as it’s not in either the short highlights provided by sky or the 10 min highlights the club put out. I was hoping to show it on here as on the initial replay yesterday it was clear the keeper got a touch on it before Dobbin could, so in my view I’d say it was good goalkeeping rather than poor finishing.

I agree we need more drive and penetration (giggle) from midfield, Sibley is doing well at left back but I do wonder if bringing Roberts back in and moving Sibley into midfield or playing him on the left instead or Barkhuizen is worth a try. 

Watching the highlights back, Collins missed a couple of really good headed chances and how Knight managed to get his head to that corner despite being wrestled and held by a bloke half a foot taller than him baffles me, great tenacity, shame the ref wasn’t braver/watching.

A battling point on the road against a top 6 rival is no bad thing, need to back it up with a win on Friday night now! ? 

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

For saying how much sledging we get, we always bring out big home gates ontop of our own following, this league and the Championship. Our games in the Championship were netting the highest averages too. They're only there to see the Derby ?.

5 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He seems to be pretty ineffectual as a sub which he shouldn't be with his height and pace.  The intelligence to utilise those around him doesn't seem to be there either as I've seen McGoldrick look totally peed off when he makes great space for himself, only for Osula to try and barge through 3 players.

At League 2 level he'd get 20 goals.  In a few years he might get 20 at this level.  At the minute, I can see him going back and getting in another option if one becomes available. 

He’s so raw isn’t he, touch bounces off him at times. But then scores and shows what he can do. But warne really not trusting him for a start. I think his touch is the big problem, balls in behind for his pace maybe mask that and the way to play.