Bolton Wanderers (A) Tues 27th Dec, 3pm KO

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

The clattering that Barkhuizen received in the LH corner of their penalty area in the first half was about a clear a penalty as I've seen so far this season. How the referee, positioned where he was, could have viewed it as a fair tackle is a mystery. Bolton player didn't even get the faintest touch on the ball, whilst Barks touch was light enough that, unimpeded, he would have got to the ball first. 

IMG_20221228_123519-01.thumb.jpeg.61d7832239a01218e3feec5eb72fe9e7.jpeg

Barks would never have got to the ball.  I think that's why the ref didn't give it.   Not saying that is right.  I thought it was a clear pen, I'm just guessing why the ref decided not to give it 

Edited by Blondest Goat

The clattering that Barkhuizen received in the LH corner of their penalty area in the first half was about a clear a penalty as I've seen so far this season. How the referee, positioned where he was, could have viewed it as a fair tackle is a mystery. Bolton player didn't even get the faintest touch on the ball, whilst Barks touch was light enough that, unimpeded, he would have got to the ball first. 

IMG_20221228_123519-01.thumb.jpeg.61d7832239a01218e3feec5eb72fe9e7.jpeg

Not sure if he would have got the ball, but is that what is needed for a penalty? I would have thought it was a foul with or without a ball that is in the penalty area. The pundits (Sky) yesterday said that the second wasn't a penalty on Collins because the ball had gone and the Bolton player could not help from connecting with Collin's ankle with his studs. Absolute rubbish it was a penalty as was the first one. Apparently Bolton had something similar, if it was then that should be a penalty as well.   

14 hours ago, ram59 said:

How many of Sibley's yellow/red cards in his career, have been your "after the fact" tackles? It was late, pure and simple, he didn't play the ball, end of. By your criteria every late tackle on a player who has taken a shot or who has cleared the ball, isn't a foul. 

When you consider how many joke penalties, where our players have gone to swing a leg, but haven't and have been penalised, it's a crime.

Fair point. It was an offence in the box so yep.

I suppose I get more aggrieved when an offence has prevented a player doing what he intended to do - which this didn’t - but that doesn’t alter the fact that a rule was broken. Good call ??

11 minutes ago, jono said:

Fair point. It was an offence in the box so yep.

I suppose I get more aggrieved when an offence has prevented a player doing what he intended to do - which this didn’t - but that doesn’t alter the fact that a rule was broken. Good call ??

I agree with your sentiments.

Its a bit like.. if the opposition winger pushes the ball past your midfielder and you race as the covering full back to get to the ball first, head on.

If you just get there first and knock it back down the line and he bumps into you after the ball has gone...is that a foul? I don't feel it is, I was never getting to the next ball, it was a genuine attempt to get to the ball and there was no harm done. Its a contact sport. Unless he does it on purpose to stick it on me and smash me over...then there is unsporting intent.

If I had got to the ball a bit sooner and had time to flick the ball either just past him (to myself to run on to) or to a team mate with the intention of getting a 1-2, and he runs into me (deliberately or not) then I've been disadvantaged and I deserve a freekick.

I don't there was any intent and we lost no advantage, so by that thinking I feel it doesn't really warrant a penalty even though strictly speaking I understand it should be one.

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

Barks would never have got to the ball.  I think that's why the ref didn't give it.   Not saying that is right.  I thought it was a clear pen, I'm just guessing why the ref decided not to give it 

I beg to differ - he was running full-pelt and the nearest defender was static - but even if you think otherwise, the foul prevented him from challenging for the ball with whichever defender came towards it. It's like saying that an attacker can be wrestled to the ground at a corner without the defender being penalised, because it's not certain that he would have won the ball in the air if unimpeded. The ball was in play, it's a foul.

I beg to differ - he was running full-pelt and the nearest defender was static - but even if you think otherwise, the foul prevented him from challenging for the ball with whichever defender came towards it. It's like saying that an attacker can be wrestled to the ground at a corner without the defender being penalised, because it's not certain that he would have won the ball in the air if unimpeded. The ball was in play, it's a foul.

Yeah I agree it's a foul and shouldve been a penalty.

I was just trying to guess why the ref thought it wasn't.

1 minute ago, Blondest Goat said:

Yeah I agree it's a foul and shouldve been a penalty.

I was just trying to guess why the ref thought it wasn't.

"Rams head coach Warne said he spoke to the fourth official about the incident during the goalless draw and explained the chain of events on the sidelines.

"The fourth official. Wow. What a guy. When I spoke to him, he said I think the ref said something about it being a fair contact," he said."

5 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Anyone else get stuck on Chorley New Rd after the game? Parked at the school which was fine getting out of but then took about 45 mins to get back to the motorway. What a grim area ☹️

You got off lightly. I was stuck on a car park for almost a hour and a half. I live 30mins drive from the ground and it was almost 7:30pm before I got home. ?

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Except you could see from the tv replay he didn't miss seeing it, he was perfectly placed (as he was for Barks) he chose not to give it.

Absolutely, Roy. Quite appropriately the Derby end had a tight go at the EFL immediately afterwards.

“What EFL agenda?” say some. 

“That EFL agenda” say those with eyes to see.

5 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

“They may have been relegated to League 1 , but we don’t want that lot bouncing straight back, it will give the wrong impression”.

R Parry Sept 2022.

Is that really a quote, or just what most people could justifiably expect him to have said?