Portsmouth (A) Fri 18th Nov 2022

On 17/11/2022 at 13:38, Wistaston Ram said:

I have to disagree. Like us they have been through tough times (admin a couple of times) spending a lot of time in the bottom two divisions over the years but still getting decent crowds. I would put their potential fan base on par with Southampton and like the saints and us, creating extra capacity, be it a new ground or improving facilities at Fratton Park would I'm sure attract more fans, though of course what they do on the pitch will have a bearing on attendances. Proper traditional club with lots of history, looking forward to visiting Fratton Park tomorrow.

I'm going to disagree about that potential fanbase If I may? Agree with the rest

Having lived in Waterlooville and Bursledon I would have to say Pompey are a bigger club than Saints and also would pull in more fans if the Infrastructure was there.  There's loads of Pompey fans in Bognor as well which is miles away and in a different county.

If I was planning a new ground, it would be 10% bigger than Saints for bragging rights, and I think they'd average 10% more as well.

Fans will come if there's comfort to be had. 

46 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Except that hovercraft service started in 1965, I remember travelling on that crossing on the day before it tragically flipped over 50 years ago, I can remember that we had similar conditions on our journey, the day before and the pilot telling us that after 3 failed attempts to land at Southsea, he was going to have one last attempt before returning to the more sheltered Ryde.

3 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I'm going to disagree about that potential fanbase If I may? Agree with the rest

Having lived in Waterlooville and Bursledon I would have to say Pompey are a bigger club than Saints and also would pull in more fans if the Infrastructure was there.  There's loads of Pompey fans in Bognor as well which is miles away and in a different county.

If I was planning a new ground, it would be 10% bigger than Saints for bragging rights, and I think they'd average 10% more as well.

I would tend to agree with most of that, except the last bit. Yes in Portsmouth's case but not in every case, take MK Dons, no traditional fanbase results in low crowds, even in a fantastic stadium.

7 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

There's alway Portsmouth Historic Dockyard to visit whilst you're in Portsmouth, if you're into the history of the royal navy.

Safe journey everyone and hopefully the Pompey chimes are muted tonight.

Jeez, I remember, every summer my dad took us to Navy Days in Portsmouth and the Southampton International Boat Show.

And the Wild Mouse on Southsea Pier where it hung out over the sea, scary, ricketty old thing.

Lived around Dorset for a decade or so and met some great Saints fans, a couple of them now friends for life. Drank in Southampton a good few times and always found it friendly, a good place for a night out. The few lads from Pompey I worked with were mostly unhinged, ex-forces or stuck in the past like our friends down the road

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I agree, I come from Bognor and it is split mostly between Pompey and Brighton fans!