Portsmouth (A) Fri 18th Nov 2022

5 hours ago, Carlin said:

Pompey fan here.

Safe trip Friday here and home.

If you haven't been, plenty of good places around the stadium. Behind the fratton end (opposite stand to away stand) there is a big tesco directly behind. Also KFC, mcdonalds etc across the road from tesco and subway around the corner. Shops etc close by too. 

The away end is currently being redeveloped so there won't be any home fans in that stand. The game has been soldout for about 3 weeks for home fans. Expecting a good following from Derby too. Glad to see you're sorted off the field and look to be playoff candidates this season.

Pompey hit a bad patch of form, we've had some injuries but still fans aren't very happy with lots of draws and it looks like another season of fighting for top 6 when the expectation was top 2.

We haven't lost at home in the league in nearly a year, we are hard to beat at home but do draw quite a lot so I dont expect a loss. I think it'll be a score draw.

Should be a good game.

Hey mate is there a decent fish and chip shop by the ground mate.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

So McGoldrick played 104 minutes against a national league side but will start on the bench against Portsmouth ?  I know it can sometimes make sense to keep talent in reserve but I don’t get the thinking 

Where would you fit him into the starting side? It seems likely that Warne’s thinking is a front 3 of Collins, NML and either Dobbin or Barkhuizen in a similar shape to what GoC suggests, who missed out? What formation would you use instead?  
Being able to bring a player like McGoldrick off the bench to change the game or (hopefully) build on a strong start isn’t a bad thing.
Pace, power and aggression of the front 3 that starts supported by the class and guild of McGoldrick and the youthful running of Osula off the bench. 

Just looked at the map around Fratton Park and noticed the Staggeringly Good Brewery on the industrial estate just north of the stadium. It says that it opens at 5pm. I think I'd be heading there for a prematch drink if I was going to the game. It's got dinosaurs!

https://www.staggeringlygood.com/taproom/

Edited by Crewton

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

So McGoldrick played 104 minutes against a national league side but will start on the bench against Portsmouth ?  I know it can sometimes make sense to keep talent in reserve but I don’t get the thinking 

So Stearman played 104 minutes against a national league side but will start on the bench against Portsmouth ?  I know it can sometimes make sense to keep talent in reserve but I don’t get the thinking 

The reason they played so much is because they won't be starting vs Portsmouth.

17 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Where would you fit him into the starting side? It seems likely that Warne’s thinking is a front 3 of Collins, NML and either Dobbin or Barkhuizen in a similar shape to what GoC suggests, who missed out? What formation would you use instead?  
Being able to bring a player like McGoldrick off the bench to change the game or (hopefully) build on a strong start isn’t a bad thing.
Pace, power and aggression of the front 3 that starts supported by the class and guild of McGoldrick and the youthful running of Osula off the bench. 

Yeah, I think he likes Collins’ work rate to help pressurise Portsmouth as much as for his attacking skills.

Osula and McGoldrick are more effective attackers and may be kept in reserve.

I think he’ll start Dobbin, Collins and NML.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Thompson gets a start alongside Bird and Hourihane with Sibley on the bench.

Hope Roberts is fit.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Maybe start him as AM in a midfield of 5 (in a 3, 5, 2). Then see what develops. Take him off if you have the luxury. Another change option in that formation is to push him forward later if he’s got the legs. Yeah it’s nice to have firepower on the bench but if you go one down you might be behind a bus on a windy road. That said what I’ve suggested there probably works best with Knight, Barkhuizen and Chester 

13 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Thanks for the great post.

Is there any inside scoop on how much Eisner is likely to allow you guys to spend in Jan. And how much you can spend under the rules. I know a guy who interviewed for a job at your club a couple of months ago and he said they sounded very ambitious, as well as switched on. 

Presumably your user name is a tilt of the hat to Will Carlin, Mr Clough’s former full back. Please don’t disappoint us 

Hey there.

No Carlin is my name lol, not after anyone else, sorry to dissapoint  ? .

That's good, I hope the gentleman got offered the job?

I have no idea how much we can spend under the rules, sorry. I don't think we will spend much in January, we recruited a decent amount of players in the summer so probably wont get many, if any, players in.

The owners are focused on improving the infrastructure as opposed to promotion and are tarting up the away end currently so all the money is going on the stadium at the minute. We won't invest in the squad in January. I'm still not sold on the owners, they seem do to the bare minimum, we need a far bigger capacity but they don't seem to want to part with substantial funds to make it possible at the moment. 

Ultimately we will probably finish in the playoffs followed by the usual semi final defeat. I don't think we are good enough for promotion.

Derby look good though, surely promotion is very realistic for you guys now? 

12 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Hey mate is there a decent fish and chip shop by the ground mate.

I'm sorry but I don't know of any chip shops by the ground. 

A few people go to this one:

Fratton fish shop , 198 Fratton Rd, Fratton, Portsmouth PO1 5HD

About 1 mile, a 20 minute walk from the ground. 

Heard good things about them but haven't tried them myself. 

8 minutes ago, Carlin said:

Hey there.

I have no idea how much we can spend under the rules, sorry. I don't think we will spend much in January, we recruited a decent amount of players in the summer so probably wont get many, if any, players in.

The owners are focused on improving the infrastructure as opposed to promotion and are tarting up the away end currently so all the money is going on the stadium at the minute. We won't invest in the squad in January. I'm still not sold on the owners, they seem do to the bare minimum, we need a far bigger capacity but they don't seem to want to part with substantial funds to make it possible at the moment. 

Ultimately we will probably finish in the playoffs followed by the usual semi final defeat. I don't think we are good enough for promotion.

At the minute, I suspect we will need more speed of foot and thought defensively and a more robust presence in midfield as an option over 3 playoff games.  We've struggled against Ipswich physically in midfield, second half with Plymouth and their midfield pace and for the first half against Peterborough although we got 2 late goals.  A bit more pace at the back and muscle to wrestle games back in midfield then a good a chance as anyone.  Can you get that as a loan in January? probably difficult. 

6 minutes ago, Carlin said:

Hey there.

What's that based on? Current capacity is 21,100 and you've spent the majority of the last 10 years averaging around 16k. 12/13 actually dropped to 12,232. Prior to promotion to the PL you were struggling to reach 14,000.

Average attendances above 18,000...
Since relegation from the PL in 2010: 18/19 (18,223) and 22/23 (18,240)
Since 1970 until promotion to the PL: 02/03 (18,934)

This is currently your best season season you were relegated, and you're averaging 86.4% of capacity. For comparison, that would be an average attendance of 29,043 in our stadium (official capacity). Since our relegation in 2008, we've averaged more than 29,043 on four occasions (29,042 once too). 
Pride Park is the right size for us, just like Fratton Park is the right size for you.

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What's that based on? Current capacity is 21,100 and you've spent the majority of the last 10 years averaging around 16k. 12/13 actually dropped to 12,232. Prior to promotion to the PL you were struggling to reach 14,000.

This is currently your best season season you were relegated, and you're averaging 86.4% of capacity. For comparison, that would be an average attendance of 29,043 in our stadium (official capacity). Since our relegation in 2008, we've averaged more than 29,043 on four occasions (29,042 once too). 
Pride Park is the right size for us, just like Fratton Park is the right size for you.

I have to disagree. Like us they have been through tough times (admin a couple of times) spending a lot of time in the bottom two divisions over the years but still getting decent crowds. I would put their potential fan base on par with Southampton and like the saints and us, creating extra capacity, be it a new ground or improving facilities at Fratton Park would I'm sure attract more fans, though of course what they do on the pitch will have a bearing on attendances. Proper traditional club with lots of history, looking forward to visiting Fratton Park tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

At the minute, I suspect we will need more speed of foot and thought defensively and a more robust presence in midfield as an option over 3 playoff games.  We've struggled against Ipswich physically in midfield, second half with Plymouth and their midfield pace and for the first half against Peterborough although we got 2 late goals.  A bit more pace at the back and muscle to wrestle games back in midfield then a good a chance as anyone.  Can you get that as a loan in January? probably difficult. 

Thanks for your post. I think it's going to be difficult as you say.

I think we need an out and out striker and another creative midfielder. We struggle to break teams down unfortunately who sit back. 

I look through Derby's team and from the outside it looks as if you have a strong team. You'll do well this season after a shaky start.

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Thanks for your post but I disagree.

Current capacity is just over 18,000 due to works. 

I don't want to waffle on too much but we have soldout every home game this season and tomorrow's game has been soldout for 3 weeks. Every ticket in the home ends has been sold this season.

Our support base has grown immensely and with better owners than we have had previously things are looking up.

We need a 30,000 stadium. 20,000 is never ever going to be enough.

I'm not blowing our own trumpet and saying we are Barcelona but we need a 30k stadium. Tomorrow we would have sold 25,000 plus.

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Smith   Rooney   Cashin   Forsyth   Sibley

Mendez-Laing   Bird   Hourihane   Dobbin

Collins

Subs: Loach, Oduroh, Stearman, Barkhuizen, Tommo, McGoldrick, Osula  

If Roberts ain't fit I suspect you're right in terms of what it will be, but I'd have Stearman into defence, Fozzy at LWB and Sibs in midfield instead of Hourihane.

52 minutes ago, Carlin said:

I'm sorry but I don't know of any chip shops by the ground. 

A few people go to this one:

Fratton fish shop , 198 Fratton Rd, Fratton, Portsmouth PO1 5HD

About 1 mile, a 20 minute walk from the ground. 

Heard good things about them but haven't tried them myself. 

I was hoping be one near the ground due to a broken toe I will struggle to walk that far to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I have to disagree. Like us they have been through tough times (admin a couple of times) spending a lot of time in the bottom two divisions over the years but still getting decent crowds. I would put their potential fan base on par with Southampton and like the saints and us, creating extra capacity, be it a new ground or improving facilities at Fratton Park would I'm sure attract more fans, though of course what they do on the pitch will have a bearing on attendances. Proper traditional club with lots of history, looking forward to visiting Fratton Park tomorrow.

Thanks.

Fratton park is having work done and in the near future hopefully they will be extending the North stand which is the stand right of the away end, adding an extra tier or two.  That's in the works when we go up.

As I say, we have soldout every home game this season and tomorrow has been soldout for 3 weeks. 

Southampton have done well since they've moved to their stadium but Pompey have as much potential, if not more than them. Hopefully in the next 5 years we will have a 27k plus capacity.

We aren't Barcelona but we definitely can get 30,000 crowds.