Portsmouth (A) Fri 18th Nov 2022

Sky’s thoughtless decision to move this to Friday night means tickets went to general sale, allowing me to buy tickets for me and a friend. Our first away game in almost exactly a year (respectable 0-0 at Fulham). I almost feel guilty, as there are lots of fans that would have gone to this if it were 3pm Saturday- but as a south coast fan with only one game last year, it’s probably my only shot at getting an away ticket this season! Excited.

This one is going to be all about how well the team recover physically from Tuesday. NML will be fresh, others didn’t play the full 90, and rumours of Barkz and maybe Knight back in squad. May be wishful thinking, but we’ll need to maintain high intensity.

Any tips for away friendly pubs nearby?

51 minutes ago, Sussex Ram said:

Any tips for away friendly pubs nearby?

Not unless the nature of the area has changed. I/we always used to go to somewhere in Old Portsmouth like the Old Still & West or the Spice Island and taxi it from there. It could be different now though because I haven't been to Pompey since the last time we played there in the league.

Fri eve does work in my favour for tv due to shifts. Totally understand why plenty will be rather miffed with a Fri Eve KO. Quite a few staying over I’m sure which adds to the cost. 
Pompey watching us against Torquay won’t have gained much info I believe so with NML fresh I’m confident we’ll have this 

Edited by SKRam
Added text

Pompey fan here.

Safe trip Friday here and home.

If you haven't been, plenty of good places around the stadium. Behind the fratton end (opposite stand to away stand) there is a big tesco directly behind. Also KFC, mcdonalds etc across the road from tesco and subway around the corner. Shops etc close by too. 

The away end is currently being redeveloped so there won't be any home fans in that stand. The game has been soldout for about 3 weeks for home fans. Expecting a good following from Derby too. Glad to see you're sorted off the field and look to be playoff candidates this season.

Pompey hit a bad patch of form, we've had some injuries but still fans aren't very happy with lots of draws and it looks like another season of fighting for top 6 when the expectation was top 2.

We haven't lost at home in the league in nearly a year, we are hard to beat at home but do draw quite a lot so I dont expect a loss. I think it'll be a score draw.

Should be a good game.

Edited by Carlin

Evening lads, pompey fan here. 

Think you'll win this, we're in terrible form.

Injuries have blighted our good start, and at one stage we were playing out 4th, 5th and 6th choice players in midfield. Morecambe should have wolloped us Saturday, and we're winless for about seven matches now. 

Although we are unbeaten at home for about 15 matches, many of those have been draws though. 

If you're driving down I'd advise get to the area early as parking is terrible around the ground. It's off street parking, and spaces are rare on a match day. You might find it easier to park around the Southsea area and walk to the ground. 

The designated away fan pub is The Good Companion, about 500yrds from the away end. Although you'd be welcome in any pub around the ground. The days are long gone regards local pubs not allowing away fans in. 

We've started work on expanding the away end, so you'll probably find the away end a bit sparce at one side, due to seats and old terracing having been ripped up ready for renewal. 

There's no alcohol on sale inside the away end (some rule about fans aren't allowed to drink in sight of the pitch), hence why the away end is being redeveloped with new hidden concourses. 

It's a sell out for home fans, think our home capacity is around 16,000, so add on what you lot bring down and probably looking at a 17,000+ crowd. 

Good luck lads. 

Prediction pompey 1 Derby 2 

Edited by Bluebazooka
Spelling

1 minute ago, Bluebazooka said:

Evening lads, pompey fan here. 

Think you'll win this, we're in terrible form.

Injuries have blighted our food start, and at one stage we were playing out 4th, 5th and 6th choice players in midfield. Morecambe should have wolloped us Saturday, and we're winless for about seven matches now. 

Although we are unbeaten at home for about 15 matches, many of those have been draws though. 

If you're driving down I'd advise get to the area early as parking is terrible around the ground. It's off street parking, and spaces are rare on a match day. You might find it easier to park around the Southsea area and walk to the ground. 

The designated away fan pub is The Good Companion, about 500yrds from the away end. Although you'd be welcome in any pub around the ground. The days are long gone regards local pubs not allowing away fans in. 

We've started work on expanding the away end, so you'll probably find the away end a bit sparce at one side, due to seats and old terracing having been ripped up ready for renewal. 

There's no alcohol on sale inside the away end (some rule about fans aren't allowed to drink in sight of the pitch), hence why the away end is being redeveloped with new hidden concourses. 

It's a sell out for home fans, think our home capacity is around 16,000, so add on what you lot bring down and probably looking at a 17,000+ crowd. 

Good luck lads. 

Prediction pompey 1 Derby 2 

Good post by a fellow Pompey fan.

Derby have players who can hurt Pompey, NML, Collins etc. I just think at home we will have enough to get a draw. At Pride Park wed probably lose.

BTW home end capacity is is 17,200. 

I think it will be a 2 2 draw.

3 hours ago, Carlin said:

Pompey fan here.

Safe trip Friday here and home.

If you haven't been, plenty of good places around the stadium. Behind the fratton end (opposite stand to away stand) there is a big tesco directly behind. Also KFC, mcdonalds etc across the road from tesco and subway around the corner. Shops etc close by too. 

The away end is currently being redeveloped so there won't be any home fans in that stand. The game has been soldout for about 3 weeks for home fans. Expecting a good following from Derby too. Glad to see you're sorted off the field and look to be playoff candidates this season.

Pompey hit a bad patch of form, we've had some injuries but still fans aren't very happy with lots of draws and it looks like another season of fighting for top 6 when the expectation was top 2.

We haven't lost at home in the league in nearly a year, we are hard to beat at home but do draw quite a lot so I dont expect a loss. I think it'll be a score draw.

Should be a good game.

Thanks for the great post.

Is there any inside scoop on how much Eisner is likely to allow you guys to spend in Jan. And how much you can spend under the rules. I know a guy who interviewed for a job at your club a couple of months ago and he said they sounded very ambitious, as well as switched on. 

Presumably your user name is a tilt of the hat to Will Carlin, Mr Clough’s former full back. Please don’t disappoint us 

18 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Presumably your user name is a tilt of the hat to Will Carlin, Mr Clough’s former full back. Please don’t disappoint us 

You been on the gin? Willie Carlin was a midfield dynamo who never played a game for Derby at full back.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Smith   Rooney   Cashin   Forsyth   Sibley

Mendez-Laing   Bird   Hourihane   Dobbin

Collins

Subs: Loach, Oduroh, Stearman, Barkhuizen, Tommo, McGoldrick, Osula  

So McGoldrick played 104 minutes against a national league side but will start on the bench against Portsmouth ?  I know it can sometimes make sense to keep talent in reserve but I don’t get the thinking 

4 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Chatting to my mate in Pompey tonight he says they have had monsoon style rain for 2 days and reckons much more and there will be a chance the game will be off as Fratton Park doesn’t drain well . 

There is no rain Friday so we are fine mate

Game will be kepted on.