Portsmouth (A) Fri 18th Nov 2022

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

Very good brewery, I'm reliably informed. Haven't actually had anything of theirs myself though, you don't seem to seem them 'up here'

No, I don't know them either, but they seem to be well regarded. First beers brewed in Portsmouth since Brickwood's Brewery closed I think.

2 hours ago, Carlin said:

Thanks for your post but I disagree.

Current capacity is just over 18,000 due to works. 

I don't want to waffle on too much but we have soldout every home game this season and tomorrow's game has been soldout for 3 weeks. Every ticket in the home ends has been sold this season.

Our support base has grown immensely and with better owners than we have had previously things are looking up.

We need a 30,000 stadium. 20,000 is never ever going to be enough.

I'm not blowing our own trumpet and saying we are Barcelona but we need a 30k stadium. Tomorrow we would have sold 25,000 plus.

You had 19,009 vs Plymouth this season, so I'm assuming that is your current capacity due to "works". No other sell-outs this season, although Bristol Rovers was close.

The first step is for your club to complete those "works", and see if your average attendance even increases by just 1000 (still 2000 below capacity). You averaged 15003 last season, so it would be a massive risk to expand to have a capacity double what you had last season, just because you sold out one game. The second step is to maintain a high attendance percentage for several seasons.

It would be the same as us expanding our stadium to 45k, because we sold out against Birmingham last season. Fans of most clubs when doing well think they need to expand. We had the same when we were in the PL and the seasons which followed. 5 seasons since our relegation with 90% attendance (vs actual capacity) with plenty of sell-out games. Our lowest average in the PL at Pride Park is an impressive 28,551. We could easily sell more tickets than our current capacity when doing well, probably hitting 45k now and then. But it would be a struggle reaching 50% attendances when not doing so well. The reality is, this is the right size stadium for us.

Our lowest ever at Pride Park was still 66% of capacity. You were below that in 12/13, and were even at 40% of capacity in the mid-90s.The only time in the last 60 years which you've consistently hit 19,000 attendees over a season was during your PL years and challenging for Europe. The likelihood of repeating that is very small, as proven by it not being sustainable and you crashing down the leagues. 

Once your refurbishments are complete, your 20-21k capacity is right for you at this moment in time.

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You had 19,009 vs Plymouth this season, so I'm assuming that is your current capacity due to "works". No other sell-outs this season, although Bristol Rovers was close.

The first step is for your club to complete those "works", and see if your average attendance even increases by just 1000 (still 2000 below capacity). You averaged 15003 last season, so it would be a massive risk to expand to have a capacity double what you had last season, just because you sold out one game. The second step is to maintain a high attendance percentage for several seasons.

It would be the same as us expanding our stadium to 45k, because we sold out against Birmingham last season. Fans of most clubs when doing well think they need to expand. We had the same when we were in the PL and the seasons which followed. 5 seasons since our relegation with 90% attendance (vs actual capacity) with plenty of sell-out games. Our lowest average in the PL at Pride Park is an impressive 28,551. We could easily sell more tickets than our current capacity when doing well, probably hitting 45k now and then. But it would be a struggle reaching 50% attendances when not doing so well. The reality is, this is the right size stadium for us.

Our lowest ever at Pride Park was still 66% of capacity. You were below that in 12/13, and were even at 40% of capacity in the mid-90s.The only time in the last 60 years which you've consistently hit 19,000 attendees over a season was during your PL years and challenging for Europe. The likelihood of repeating that is very small, as proven by it not being sustainable and you crashing down the leagues. 

Once your refurbishments are complete, your 20-21k capacity is right for you at this moment in time.

Thanks for your post.

With the greatest of respect, you are incorrect re our capacity and attendances. 

We could hit 30,000 average in the premiership. That's why a new North Stand will be built. We are selling out every week in league one now. 

Tomorrow has been soldout for 3 weeks. We would have sold 25,000 for tomorrow.

The chances of us maintaining a 25,000 to 30,000 average in the near future with the new North stand is very likely if we are doing well.

Last season for much of the second half of the season capacity was reduced to 15k whilst they replaced the North stand seats in the upper tier the lower tier. They also started work on the south stand. You can find all the evidence online.

And it's fact that we have soldout every home game this season.

The three home stands capacity equals 17,200.  That's the fratton end, North stand and south stand.

The away end capacity is about 1600 now due to works but was 1800 a few wees ago. Occasionally we could have home fans in that stand if away fans brought a small amount but if away fans bring 1000 or more we cannot have any fans in the Milton end due to the layout of the stand.

The fact remains we have soldout all home end seats this season in the three home stands, 17,200. On top of that it depends what away fans bring. If away fans bring more than 1000 we aren't allowed to sell tickets in the away stand. 

I'm sure you aren't bothered, but if you really want confirmation, please contact our ticket office and they will confirm the sellouts.

Anyway I'm not here to talk about support etc. Enjoy the game tomorrow.

Edited by Carlin

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It’s not all about statistics, we gained lots of “new “ fans when we moved to Pride park.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Christ, give the bloke a break ?

6 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

He or she is on a Derby forum ?‍♀️

True. And the gentleman is entitled to his opinion as it's his clubs forum.  

Anyway, we are looking welcoming the famous Derby County to Fratton. These are the type of games we want to be involved in again and the type of games which excite the fratton faithful. 

11 minutes ago, Carlin said:

Anyway, we are looking welcoming the famous Derby County to Fratton. These are the type of games we want to be involved in again and the type of games which excite the fratton faithful. 

Hopefully we’ll wave as we pass you.?
But you’re quite welcome to hang on to our coat tails.

Edited by Foreveram

26 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

He or she is on a Derby forum ?‍♀️

He's only saying what size of stadium he thinks his club needs. It's not as if he's claiming they could fill Wembley twice over (unlike our "friends" down the A52). A 30,000 stadium is a reasonable ambition for a club like Portsmouth with its hinterland along the A27/A3, plus Gosport and Fareham. 

38 minutes ago, Crewton said:

He's only saying what size of stadium he thinks his club needs. It's not as if he's claiming they could fill Wembley twice over (unlike our "friends" down the A52). A 30,000 stadium is a reasonable ambition for a club like Portsmouth with its hinterland along the A27/A3, plus Gosport and Fareham. 

Yes my husbands from there. The pictures of post war crowds there make me sad for how football has changed. 

1 hour ago, Carlin said:

It wasnt personal! Ignore me anyway I work in tax so its been a long miserable day! My hubbie's family are from Mason Mount territory. Have been trying to indoctrinate him to be a Derby fan since we met 30 years ago. Friday is a true test but he will probably not want my son and I to be grumpy all weekend so Derby may edge it.