Torquay (H) FACR1 (Replay) Tues 15th Nov 2022

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

We actually did create a hatful of chances.

If we had a weakness, it was at the back but we will never see that back line in a league game so I'm not too worried about that.

Have people ever really watched McGoldrick and his economy of movement around the pitch? He operates as a pivot with all the young lads running around him. Keeps a bit in the tank for the odd sprint and didn't seem at all perturbed about playing the full game. He just wanted his goal (which he got.) The real stand out player of last night, though Bird was pushing him close before his injury.

Sibley continues to be played in a variety of positions (most of any player this season so far) and Warne trusts him. He's learning how to give a disciplined performance where asked - very valuable at his age.

I thought Dobbin, Osula, Rooney, and especially Tommo played very well - as did Wildsmith and Fozzy.

I love how Fozzy and Stears are constantly helping and encouraging the younger players.

At times last night it felt like a training game due to the lack of fans but it gave fringe players some minutes on the pitch, Warne a chance to look at those players against real opposition and a boost to the confidence of the goalscorers.

Let's keep some perspective here.

Excellent post Angie ??

50 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Some of my points are

we weren’t at all great last night

lots of missed chances (albeit by youngsters)

more worryingly, decision making was often poor such that we failed to create a hatful more

that we played much better against Liverpool (albeit they fielded a less strong side)

and that Warne was spot on when he suggested the result was not cause for jubilation.

We already knew Didzy is a man amongst boys, though unfortunately rather a tired one now and for a few days. So few highlights (Dobbin’s goal aside) to celebrate. Well, at least Tommo’s amnesia about how to pass seems to be forgotten.

Reasons to be cheerful. We won, we scored five, we didn’t concede, we didn’t give a penalty away, we didn’t have anyone sent off, we get to go to a ground I’ve not visited before in the next round, we are a step closer to Wembley, it didn’t rain. I’m happy ?

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

I thought it was a very entertaining game. Neither side looked secure at the back, but the key differences were the occasional quality of our finishing and the form of Wildsmith. I think 7-3 would have been a better reflection of the game overall. 

I won't overanylyse the flaws in the display. Suffice to say it was great to see Tommo play well and score a good goal, Dobbin bang one in, Rooney calm at the back and Didzy doing what Didzy does. 

I was at PP last night and agree. I was suprised Torquay and played a very open style and didn’t try to frustrate us at all.The travelling fans were a credit to their club. Worth the entry fee to see the Dobbin goal. Quick quiz question - Have 2 Nottingham born players ever scored for DCFC in the same game before ?

Just wallowing in the pleasure of watching the highlights/goals.

great finishes, all of them. Hugely pleased for Tommo. Osula is a handful isn’t he. Loved how he stayed on his feet when tackled. Didn’t score with that chance, but goes up in my estimation for playing the right way. It looks like we did a lot more one touch stuff ? And isn’t Joe just a bit special. Some great saves and some cracking anticipation too. COYR.

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

I thought it was a very entertaining game. Neither side looked secure at the back, but the key differences were the occasional quality of our finishing and the form of Wildsmith. I think 7-3 would have been a better reflection of the game overall. 

I won't overanylyse the flaws in the display. Suffice to say it was great to see Tommo play well and score a good goal, Dobbin bang one in, Rooney calm at the back and Didzy doing what Didzy does. 

Then what the hell are you doing on here!!? Over analysis and pooping on a 5-0 win is the dcfcfans way (at least for some anyway!)

Edited by LazloW

58 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'd give the Torquay defenders a bit of credit for thwarting some of the counter-attacks : in one-to-one situations they generally didn't commit and forced our player (often Osula) to take the initiative.

It was another physical test for our younger players : the Torquay players used their strength, not always legally, and the youngsters knew they had a challenge on their hands. 

I didn't like Lampsie or whatever his name is, He came across as some little hard case who had something to prove, Same in the game at Torquay, He's now off my Xmas card list Happy Good Night GIF

Just now, Unlucky Alf said:

I didn't like Lampsie or whatever his name is, He came across as some little hard case who had something to prove, Same in the game at Torquay, He's now off my Xmas card list Happy Good Night GIF

He's a bit of a throwback to the 1970s isn't he? An angry little slaphead of a midfield player. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Have people ever really watched McGoldrick and his economy of movement around the pitch? He operates as a pivot with all the young lads running around him. Keeps a bit in the tank for the odd sprint and didn't seem at all perturbed about playing the full game. He just wanted his goal (which he got.) The real stand out player of last night, though Bird was pushing him close before his injury.

Nice post. I was watching McGoldrick last night thinking how he’d do a great job in midfield if called upon. His touch, vision and spacial awareness coupled with that bit of physicality in the middle of the park would be interesting to see.
Obviously we’ve got plenty of midfield options and we want him causing damage in the final third with goals and assists, just an observation. 

2 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Wildsmith is so good can’t believe we have him in league 1. 

He didn’t have a job - at Sheffield Wednesday he had an intermittent appearance record much like when we had Lee Grant and Lee Camp at the same time. Maybe in the championship he wouldn’t have played in front of many fans either apart from Sunderland 

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He didn’t have a job - at Sheffield Wednesday he had an intermittent appearance record much like when we had Lee Grant and Lee Camp at the same time. Maybe in the championship he wouldn’t have played in front of many fans either apart from Sunderland 

Unbelievable as he is a great keeper. 

13 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Allsop really came into his own last season and was sad we couldn't get something sorted and was a bit meh about Wildsmith but been far more impressed with him so far! 

I think it is like other forms of work.  You join a club young and they have a number one.  It is very hard to break the stranglehold of being the number two.  Then, the number one leaves and they sign someone else.

He clearly needed a move to somewhere that needed him to be number one, so he could grow.  

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

I mean, it’s nothing I couldn’t do, but it’s a decent strike. 

I mean, it's something I might mean to do but could never manage to achieve in a decade of Sundays!

PS BTW I loved the Torquay chant with a few minutes to go "We're gonna win 6-5!" Genuine fans and good sports.

Edited by Brammie Steve