Liverpool v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Given how small and stretched the squad is and given we lost 6-0 on our last visit, that’s a very creditable performance.

We have to take encouragement. Any version of Liverpool at Anfield should beat a top half League 1 side in 90 minutes.

The fact they didn’t speaks volumes.

A win v MK Dons and things are looking up.

7 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Lad stepped up we don’t know if the others didn’t 

The science of taking penalties decrees you pick your penalty takers in advance and stick to that. You do statistically worse if you you ask people "who fancies it?" and then go with whoever steps up. I hope and expect Warne will know that. And despite Dobbin being such a poor finisher in open play, maybe he's excellent at taking pens in training? 

3 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Alright maybe I need a few more levels to classify how bad a penalty is. 

For example, England’s Euro final penalties were bad. The two we missed the other week were bad. Tonight’s were better than those. 

I feel like if you had a scale of great to awful penalties, ranked 1-10, those 3 we had saved would be a 4.5

I mean they atleast hit the target.

Edited by DJFern94

It seems like it was a great day out and a honourable performance. With the Torquay replay, not having another game isn’t the worst thing.

We’re also going to set a record for the most penalties faced in one season, surely. Two shootouts and about 65 conceded in the league, we must be close already.

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

Alright maybe I need a few more levels to classify how bad a penalty is. 

For example, England’s Euro final penalties were bad. The two we missed the other week were bad. Tonight’s were better than those. 

A penalty is a an awful one if you miss the target, or whether the keeper can actually wait for the player to shoot and still save it. Firmino’s penalty was the worst of the night.

But ultimately, from 12 yards, it’s a poor penalty if the keeper saves it by guess the right way. Either it hasn’t been hit accurate enough in terms of of the corner, or it hasn’t been hit hard enough.

If a player can pass the ball to feet from 12 yards without any problem, it’s clearly a mental issue if they can’t hit it within two yards of the post when aiming for a corner.

Id rather just see players hit it high. Yeah one might balloon over. But how many high penalties are actually saved by the goalkeeper? Not many at all. Even if it’s down the middle, anywhere near head height is going in.

Fair play to Fozzy for stepping up again but 2 misses in 2 suggests someone else needs to have bigger balls next time around. Can't blame Dobbin either, if there are better peno takers than him then they bottled it.

Really encouraging night overall, the fact it hurts to lose is a credit to the lads.

Edited by SillyBilly

11 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Why am I not surprised?! ? 

Dobbin, Forsyth and Hourihane all had their penalties SAVED. How do you know it was a case of “letting” him take one? Maybe he was best in training, maybe he put his hand up when the others didn’t. Lay off the kid. 

He misses chances every game and does not add anything but pace .