Injuries

Jubbs

39 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm with @Srghere. We're talking professional sport, of which football is the pinnacle. At their age, Davies and Chester are pushing their bodies above and beyond to compete at this level and will always be risking injury. Knight was injured going in for a tackle. Barks is supposedly renowned for his pace, but he's not young either and so will always be risking hamstrings.

Injuries are part and parcel of football. I want us to play with intensity. 

Davies risked that all last season. I want us to play with intensity too, but it's ridiculous to expect our squad - short of any preseason time, let alone Warne's preseason regime - to be able to 'catch up' in weeks. Warne is gambling, so far he's lost some of his chips. 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

So, if a player has a history of injuries, surely they should be managed better to prevent more injuries occurring rather than playing them in every league game when they could probably do with a rest? Warne was a fitness coach, he should know better.

Of the 7 games that Warne has taken charge of so far Chester has played 4 to completion and another 1 where he was subbed off. Barkhuizen has played 2 to completion and has been subbed off in another 3 games. Davies has played 3 games.

Hardly overworking them is it. But yes I totally agree he should be using the vast number of other players in our tiny squad to make sure these guys only have to play once a month.

15 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Of the 7 games that Warne has taken charge of so far Chester has played 4 to completion and another 1 where he was subbed off. Barkhuizen has played 2 to completion and has been subbed off in another 3 games. Davies has played 3 games.

Hardly overworking them is it. But yes I totally agree he should be using the vast number of other players in our tiny squad to make sure these guys only have to play once a month.

You're overlooking training, which Warne has stated has changed to shorter but more intense sessions than what we've been doing previously. 
Chester played every minute in the League under Warne up until his injury. He only made his first start of the season, barely had a pre-season due to injury, and had only played 20 minutes of football since march, prior to joining us. He needed to be eased back in, especially with the intensity of training.
Barkhuizen had injury troubles last season for the first time in his career. The first 2 months where due to Covid. I niggly muscle injury ended up keeping him out for the 2nd half of the season. Whilst not injury prone, we should have considered his recent history, rather than playing him in all but 1 game this season (playing 84% of the minutes in the league).
Davies hasn't been right since he came back from injury and needed a few games out to fully recover.

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

So Chester who couldn't play for us for several weeks when he got here because of injury and Curtis Davies who has suffered several major injuries in recent years and missed a lot of this season due to injury and Barkhuizen who missed a good chunk of last season at Preston because of injury are all now injured because of Warnes training style? 

Quite frankly I think that is a load of b*******. These players are injury prone and part of the reason we've been able to recruit a lot of these guys is for that very reason. Warne hasn't caused all the injuries they've all had in the last couple of years and I doubt very much he is the cause of their latest injuries.

I tend to agree with you. I said after the Lincoln game that I thought Curtis had been brought back into the team too soon. That wasn't Warnes doing, though it is fair to ask if his style has contributed to the injuries. However, when did we last have a squad that didn't have at least 3 or 4 medium to long term injuries? My guess is towards the end of the last century. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

1-0 up at Accrington. Throw-in high up the pitch with all three CBs in the area. We lose the ball and all three have to sprint back into defence. Still no more running than before?

Injury prone players have to be managed carefully. Getting them to do high intensity drills in training, then expecting them to last 90 minutes of high intesity football during games on a consistent basis is just asking for trouble.

Paul McGrath.

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You're overlooking training, which Warne has stated has changed to shorter but more intense sessions than what we've been doing previously. 
Chester played every minute in the League under Warne up until his injury. He only made his first start of the season, barely had a pre-season due to injury, and had only played 20 minutes of football since march, prior to joining us. He needed to be eased back in, especially with the intensity of training.
Barkhuizen had injury troubles last season for the first time in his career. The first 2 months where due to Covid. I niggly muscle injury ended up keeping him out for the 2nd half of the season. Whilst not injury prone, we should have considered his recent history, rather than playing him in all but 1 game this season (playing 84% of the minutes in the league).
Davies hasn't been right since he came back from injury and needed a few games out to fully recover.

Nah - training has nothing to do with it.

Barhuizen is injury prone. He had a calf injury and a foot injury last year. It tends to happen as players get older. Just because he wasn't injured as often prior to this does not mean he isn't injury prone.

Same with Chester. He is injury prone - nothing to be ashamed of, but he is getting older and will pick up injuries more often. You could argue we should have waited before playing him, but Rosenior bought him into the starting 11 and I would assume that means the staff felt he was ready to start playing. 

And Davies has suffered multiple major injuries in recent years - again he is injury prone now. 

We've signed whichever players we can even though they are coming towards the end of their careers now and its starting to show. There is only so much we can do with the limited squad size, but even so if our trained medical professionals feel that the players are fit to play then their should be no reason why they don't.

19 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Barhuizen is injury prone. He had a calf injury and a foot injury last year. It tends to happen as players get older. Just because he wasn't injured as often prior to this does not mean he isn't injury prone.

Same with Chester. He is injury prone - nothing to be ashamed of, but he is getting older and will pick up injuries more often. You could argue we should have waited before playing him, but Rosenior bought him into the starting 11 and I would assume that means the staff felt he was ready to start playing. 

And Davies has suffered multiple major injuries in recent years - again he is injury prone now. 

We've signed whichever players we can even though they are coming towards the end of their careers now and its starting to show. There is only so much we can do with the limited squad size, but even so if our trained medical professionals feel that the players are fit to play then their should be no reason why they don't.

You're seriously saying Barkhuizen is injury prone based on 6 months in his entire career.

Training is a massive part of it. A consistently high level of intensity, whether in matches or training will result in more injuries. Inadequate levels of training will have the same result, but due to matches being a shock to their bodies.

I fully expected Chester to be missing for various periods of the season as his career suggests, Barkhauzen is a runner so it can happen, losing knight is the big one as he gives others time which they clearly need. Even though Rooney hasn’t showed anything to the manager yet I think he will prove invaluable 

I think there's a multitude of factors at play here. Is Warne's regime the sole reason?

No.

Is it a factor?

Most likely. 

The problem is where the line gets drawn. We absolutely need the players to be fitter, due to our pre-season problems and some of them not having played much in recent seasons. 

The question is where the line gets drawn on this. We can't see as we don't attend training, but I imagine if we pick up anymore injuries, then we may need to ease up to give ourselves breathing space. 

8 hours ago, Jubbs said:

James Chester - Out for up to 2 months.
Curtis Davies - Needed keyhole surgery, out for a month.
Tom Barkhuizen - Out for a month.

Does this begin to raise the question that Warne's style is causing these injuries?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-james-chester-injury-7752549

No. James Chester and Tom Barkhuizen are not proper injuries as they were not caused by impact.

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

To add @Ghost of Clough's comments. 

If they are injury prone, don't you think that maybe they should be handled a little more carefully? 

Not continously playing them past the point of being knackered. Not having centre backs run up the pitch for a long throw when you are in the lead. Not continuously getting the ball forwards at all cost and never trying to slow a game down or control it when in front.

Warne has installed a new coffee machine at Moor Farm, neglecting to invest in new teapots, mugs, and strainers.

It is well known that Mendez Laing loves green tea. Bird loves Earl Grey tea. Sibley loves chai tea. Hourihane loves oolong tea.

Does this oversight raise concerns about morale amongst tea drinkers in the camp and Warne’s man-management style, and could it be linked to declining performances?

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Warne has installed a new coffee machine at Moor Farm, neglecting to invest in new teapots, mugs, and strainers.

It is well known that Mendez Laing loves green tea. Bird loves Earl Grey tea. Sibley loves chai tea. Hourihane loves oolong tea.

Does this oversight raise concerns about morale amongst tea drinkers in the camp and Warne’s man-management style, and could it be linked to declining performances?

Similarly his love of hats must be isolating players like Sibley who cannot check his hair, hence reducing performance levels

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I heard that on seeing the new coffee machine, Curtis Davies dropped his tray of Kale smoothies

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Relationships are strained.

Warne wants his team to run espresso but the squad are not happy, many exhibiting the double teapot.

2 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Just curious, out of all those criticising in this thread, how many of you are qualified fitness trainers / conditioning experts? Wasn't Warne a fitness coach prior to taking over at Rotherham? On that basis I'll take the stance that I think he knows what he's doing in comparison 

0ec79340-d006-402c-b3e4-aad0c96e25c6_tex