Injuries

Jubbs

"It's very difficult. You want to keep them as fit and healthy as they can be. And to do that they have to train. But you've always got the risk that if you push them too far then they will break. I don't care what anybody tells you but nobody knows everything. There's nobody who knows what distances they should hit every week and what the high speed should be either."

So maybe I'm reading too much into that, but people are telling Warne that he's over-exerting the players in training, but he's doing it any way, and now we're picking up loads of injuries and he's saying basically nobody could have predicted it would have happened?

Darren Robinson was talking about how it can cause a problem changing style and intensity during training and matches. 

He gave the example of when Steve Bruce replaced Nick Barmby at Hull and changed from a passing style to a more expansive style. The conditioning team warned to do it slowly he ignored them and they had 15 soft tissue injuries in the first couple of months. 

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

"It's very difficult. You want to keep them as fit and healthy as they can be. And to do that they have to train. But you've always got the risk that if you push them too far then they will break. I don't care what anybody tells you but nobody knows everything. There's nobody who knows what distances they should hit every week and what the high speed should be either."

So maybe I'm reading too much into that, but people are telling Warne that he's over-exerting the players in training, but he's doing it any way, and now we're picking up loads of injuries and he's saying basically nobody could have predicted it would have happened?

That's pretty much how interpret it. Right now, I'm worried how far he'll push McGoldrick and Smith before they pick up muscle injuries.

Davies was out for 7 games due to a thigh strain earlier in the season. He was clearly dropped back into the side too soon. Chester was out for the first 10 games due to an achilles problem but has played every league game for Warne. Both were at high risk of injury, especially playing this style of play.

Injuries will only continue to mount up over the next month before players start coming back.

No, Chester was a crock beforehand. He was always injured prior to coming here and was injured as soon as he got here. Seem to remember Barkhuizen missing a fair bit of time at Preston too but can't be sure on that one. Davies has missed entire seasons here, and other than one season (last year) has often picked up injuries. McGoldrick is another who's consistently picked up injuries. It's almost as if this was always likely to happen signing the old men we did (yes, I know, not much choice, but still). 

I'll also caveat that with saying they're defenders. They're not really doing anymore running now than they did. They're just old and injury prone.

In short, no.

Edited by Srg

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

No, Chester was a crock beforehand. He was always injured prior to coming here and was injured as soon as he got here. Seem to remember Barkhuizen missing a fair bit of time at Preston too but can't be sure on that one. Davies has missed entire seasons here, and other than one season (last year) has often picked up injuries. McGoldrick is another who's consistently picked up injuries. It's almost as if this was always likely to happen signing the old men we did (yes, I know, not much choice, but still). 

I'll also caveat that with saying they're defenders. They're not really doing anymore running now than they did. They're just old and injury prone.

In short, no.

I think that’s ridiculous.  If you play like Warne does you will get injuries .  Knight is also out for a long time.  Bird was struggling against Exeter and looks Warne out .

He won’t play Odura who is very fit or Rooney who has also been injured.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

In short, no.

1-0 up at Accrington. Throw-in high up the pitch with all three CBs in the area. We lose the ball and all three have to sprint back into defence. Still no more running than before?

Injury prone players have to be managed carefully. Getting them to do high intensity drills in training, then expecting them to last 90 minutes of high intesity football during games on a consistent basis is just asking for trouble.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

1-0 up at Accrington. Throw-in high up the pitch with all three CBs in the area. We lose the ball and all three have to sprint back into defence. Still no more running than before?

Injury prone players have to be managed carefully. Getting them to do high intensity drills in training, then expecting them to last 90 minutes of high intesity football during games on a consistent basis is just asking for trouble.

Against Exeter we had a free kick with 15 mins to go and Warne waved Roberts into the box, with just the free kick taker (Hourihane?) behind the ball, they broke from the free kick and Fozzy had to sprint 70 yards to stop a shot a goal. 

It simply isn't sustainable with this squad.

Edited by sage

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Davies & Knight are out with contact injuries not strains, but of course that doesn't fit your argument does it.

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Davies & Knight are out with contact injuries not strains, but of course that doesn't fit your argument does it.

Warne is the one that immediately started talking about training intensity, he's obviously getting pressure from somewhere about it.  Clearly injuries are going to happen, but surely it's the managers job to try and minimise that risk?  And the fact that the 2 players with strains are the 2 players he's just accused of feigning injuries must raise some alarm bells...

16 minutes ago, Carnero said:

No Knight twisted his knee flying in to tackle against Man City u21s .Two Derby players collided as a consequence 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

James Chester - Out for up to 2 months.
Curtis Davies - Needed keyhole surgery, out for a month.
Tom Barkhuizen - Out for a month.

Does this begin to raise the question that Warne's style is causing these injuries?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-james-chester-injury-7752549

So Chester who couldn't play for us for several weeks when he got here because of injury and Curtis Davies who has suffered several major injuries in recent years and missed a lot of this season due to injury and Barkhuizen who missed a good chunk of last season at Preston because of injury are all now injured because of Warnes training style? 

Quite frankly I think that is a load of b*******. These players are injury prone and part of the reason we've been able to recruit a lot of these guys is for that very reason. Warne hasn't caused all the injuries they've all had in the last couple of years and I doubt very much he is the cause of their latest injuries.

I'm with @Srghere. We're talking professional sport, of which football is the pinnacle. At their age, Davies and Chester are pushing their bodies above and beyond to compete at this level and will always be risking injury. Knight was injured going in for a tackle. Barks is supposedly renowned for his pace, but he's not young either and so will always be risking hamstrings.

Injuries are part and parcel of football. I want us to play with intensity. 

9 minutes ago, GenBr said:

So Chester who couldn't play for us for several weeks when he got here because of injury and Curtis Davies who has suffered several major injuries in recent years and missed a lot of this season due to injury and Barkhuizen who missed a good chunk of last season at Preston because of injury are all now injured because of Warnes training style? 

So, if a player has a history of injuries, surely they should be managed better to prevent more injuries occurring rather than playing them in every league game when they could probably do with a rest? Warne was a fitness coach, he should know better.