Wildsmith

Kernow

I’ll be one of the first to admit I wasn’t exactly enthralled by the idea of having Wildsmith as a number 1 when he signed. I’m sure many others will be in the same position.

I was expecting and hoping another keeper to come in and that Wildsmith would be a good back up, but obviously that never happened.

I think he’s been excellent this season and is yet to really make a glaring error. For a keeper that’s spent most of his career as a substitute, I think he’s stepped up brilliantly.

He’s been one of our better additions this summer, I feel like he deserves some recognition for how he’s started his time here with us.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I’ll be one of the first to admit I wasn’t exactly enthralled by the idea of having Wildsmith as a number 1 when he signed. I’m sure many others will be in the same position.

I was expecting and hoping another keeper to come in and that Wildsmith would be a good back up, but obviously that never happened.

I think he’s been excellent this season and is yet to really make a glaring error. For a keeper that’s spent most of his career as a substitute, I think he’s stepped up brilliantly.

He’s been one of our better additions this summer, I feel like he deserves some recognition for how he’s started his time here with us.

Excellent point about Joe not making a glaring error this season.

I don't recall one moment t when I thought he should have done better.

Steady keeper, more than good enough at this level.

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

Excellent point about Joe not making a glaring error this season.

I don't recall one moment t when I thought he should have done better.

Steady keeper, more than good enough at this level.

He’s carried on in the same trajectory as Allsop. I wasn’t really too enthusiastic about his arrival. A keeper, joining from a “lesser side” (at the time) with a career made up of nothing really noteworthy.

But Allsop was excellent here and I was gutted to see him go. Wildsmith will end up the same in my mind if he keeps going the way he is. 

He’s been really good. He was a bit dodgy at times in pre season as we were getting to grips with playing out from the back. Beyond that, he may have gotten beat once at a near post, but by and large he’s been fantastic. Much better from crosses/corners than I was expecting too. 

Edited by Srg

He perhaps benefits of the confidence in knowing he’s a number one choice. At Wednesday he was behind Westwood who was at the time, one of the best keepers in the league. He’s covered for injuries or the odd game, but I understand that can be difficult to be thrown in as a short term fix and expected to perform.

He’s not really got competition here, even when Anang is back, I think the position is comfortably Wildsmith’s. I’m surprised Wednesday opted for David Stockdale over him though, Wildsmith definitely looks like a better long term option.

Underwhelmed when he signed...who's Joe Wildsmith ?‍♀️, I'm not an advocate of having our keeper acting as a sweeper...(only with a brush in his back garden)Keepers are known to be a little erratic when it comes to having the ball at their feet, I'm more confident know he's just our keeper, I was very critical of Kell Roos as there was always a mistake in him, Wildsmith has yet to make such errors, He will no doubt in the future, But having a steady defence in front of him gives a keeper that more confidence...imo

The only recognition I can give him is...well done young man you could have a very good future in the game and pleased your DCFCs number 1 ?

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

Are you Joe McClaren? That was our whole recruitment policy. Have we heard of them? If so, pay whatever we need to. 

What's your point?, I knew of the players below, I just never heard of Joe Wildsmith.

Hourihane

Collins

McGoldrick

Chester

NML

Barkhuizen

I've been really impressed. I had a read of the Wednesday forum when he came in and they weren't gushing in praise, I recall one comment like "can't go a game without throwing at least one in the back of the net". Underwhelmed therefore but goes to show you have to reserve judgement until you've seen them play a few games...and he has been excellent. Feel confident with him between the sticks, more dominant than I'd expected in terms of command of area too - I thought he'd be another Kelle Roos shot stopper type but shakey in everything else. He has been pretty good on corners in punching/catching and dominating his 6 yard box. If he keeps this steady form up I wouldn't flinch at him as a no. 1 in the Championship for us (albeit getting ahead of myself there...), we've had a lot worse.

5 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

What's your point?, I knew of the players below, I just never heard of Joe Wildsmith.

Hourihane

Collins

McGoldrick

Chester

NML

Barkhuizen

My point is, just because the average person in the stand may not have heard of someone doesn’t mean anything. And the longer we are in this league, the more likely that’s going to be the case. 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

My point is, just because the average person in the stand may not have heard of someone doesn’t mean anything. And the longer we are in this league, the more likely that’s going to be the case. 

I think you'll find it means quite a lot, Can he catch a ball, Does he command his area, Does he talk to his defence, Is he confident, All those players I listed you'll find "the average person" knew about them in some shape of form.

Nice try tho