Ghosts

Alph

13 hours ago, ramit said:

i think that some apparitions we call ghosts and are unresponsive to the people seeing them are scenes from days gone by.  i told a story years ago here about one such happening in my family that got me thinking this way.

Ghosts, elves, spirits, these things are accepted as being real by many Icelanders.  My wife and i are house hunting these days and we have looked at a few houses.  If the spirit is bad in a house, it matters not how cheap it is or beautiful, we will never buy it.  The same goes for used items and antiques, as we believe that negative and positive energy can settle in solid matter.

'Negative energy' in buildings is something most people can sense, even if they don't think it's due to anything supernatural. I've worked on properties with just such an atmosphere and some Clients have used Psychic Feng-Shui consultants to improve things - one requested that fresh flowers be placed in the project meeting room every day to ensure good decisions were made ?. I'm not convinced that they had any spiritual value, but what I do know is that natural light, uplifting decor and the right interior furnishings made an enormous difference to the feel of the place. That said, a couple of years after moving in, the husband of the couple who bought the property announced that he was gay and left his wife for another man, so perhaps the bad vibes never went away!

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I  once saw a ouija spell out someone's name who wasn't there and that they would get ill, the illness and the year .  All spot on about 13 years later.  Also know someone who's daughter used one and every morning for about 3 months she would wake up with her wardrobe door open and all the drawers open.  She wound up sleeping in her mums bedroom. 

Weird weird s*** and I would never recommend playing with one.

I'd play with one anytime.  Best done with plenty of beer though...otherwise it would be quite boring.  

The unfortunate tale you are remembering is a strange one.  If it really was a spirt who was controlling the board, then it was a spirit who could predict the future, or was capable of time travel to the future, given that the were aware of events that hadn't happened yet.  That's a double layer or supernaturality we are talking about then.  

On the other hand, if you are remembering the events correctly (maybe you are not quite, if your memory is as bad as mine), then what we could have there is just a striking coincidence.  Highly unlikely events happen all the time for perfectly natural reasons.  Every time someone buys a lottery ticket in the UK, there is a 45,000,000-1 against chance that they have the winning ticket.  Yet people somewhere win nearly every week without a single supernatural force having anything to do with it.  

3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I'd play with one anytime.  Best done with plenty of beer though...otherwise it would be quite boring.  

The unfortunate tale you are remembering is a strange one.  If it really was a spirt who was controlling the board, then it was a spirit who could predict the future, or was capable of time travel to the future, given that the were aware of events that hadn't happened yet.  That's a double layer or supernaturality we are talking about then.  

On the other hand, if you are remembering the events correctly (maybe you are not quite, if your memory is as bad as mine), then what we could have there is just a striking coincidence.  Highly unlikely events happen all the time for perfectly natural reasons.  Every time someone buys a lottery ticket in the UK, there is a 45,000,000-1 against chance that they have the winning ticket.  Yet people somewhere win nearly every week without a single supernatural force having anything to do with it.  

Was a few years ago but it's certainly burned in to the memory.  No mistakes.  I wouldn't touch one again.  No fun

No, I don't believe in ghosts for two reasons.

There is no scientific evidence to show they exist.

If allowed myself to believe they exist, I'd be terrified all the time. I really don't understand what the draw is in believing in ghosts. The idea that there may be spirits of the dead watching me is creepy enough, but the idea that it could be possible to be trapped as some kind of ethereal, incorporeal being trapped between life and death is awful.

My real answer is no I don't, but I've never experienced anything to make me question changing my mind.

How does anyone go about explaining away the very specific things people genuinely believe to have happened to them though without basically calling them or their family/friends liars, fantasits etc? I have no idea. For broad examples, there are adequate explanations, for specifics it's more difficult.

Arguing that someone 'wrong', making it up or just extremely gullible is insulting. As is suggesting that some of it might just be a really lucid dream they once had which they've come to believe happened to them in reality.

It's estimated though that there have been around 117,000,000,000 members of our species born to date (well, as of 2021) never mind all the other species!

117 billion dead people, how many ghosts must there be? And the one/s you do happen to see are (somewhat conveniently) limited to relatives, neighbours, 'well known' spirits, or those in famous hotspots of activity?

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, Anon said:

No, I don't believe in ghosts for two reasons.

There is no scientific evidence to show they exist.

If allowed myself to believe they exist, I'd be terrified all the time. I really don't understand what the draw is in believing in ghosts. The idea that there may be spirits of the dead watching me is creepy enough, but the idea that it could be possible to be trapped as some kind of ethereal, incorporeal being trapped between life and death is awful.

They do and they are really

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

My real answer is no I don't, but I've never experienced anything to make me question changing my mind.

How does anyone go about explaining away the very specific things people genuinely believe to have happened to them though without basically calling them or their family/friends liars, fantasits etc? I have no idea. For broad examples, there are adequate explanations, for specifics it's more difficult.

Arguing that someone 'wrong', making it up or just extremely gullible is insulting. As is suggesting that some of it might just be a really lucid dream they once had which they've come to believe happened to them in reality.

It's estimated though that there have been around 117,000,000,000 members of our species born to date (well, as of 2021) never mind all the other species!

117 billion dead people, how many ghosts must there be? And the one/s you do happen to see are (somewhat conveniently) limited to relatives, neighbours, 'well known' spirits, or those in famous hotspots of activity?

They can remain quite for a number of years but if redoing a house up or a building things like that spark supernatual activity as they prove of that building.

Here's an odd thing that 'happened to me' but which I did not consciously experience : a few days after my Mum died, my wife and I were back at home 130 miles away awaiting the funeral. In the middle of the night, my wife was awoken by me being restless and making distressed noises, though 'fast asleep'. She then smelt my Mum's favourite perfume, which she always wore, but one that my wife had never used herself. Within a few moments, she said, I quietened down and started breathing normally - the perfume faded. My wife isn't "into" the supernatural at all. I was completely oblivious to this until she told me the next morning. I'd had no dreams that I night that I could recall.

Yep, had several experiences over the years.  Once playing pool in a cousins house.  Early evening. No-one else in the room.  Ready to take a shot and an icy wall of air came across me so much so that I could suddenly see the breath coming out my mouth.  Scared the poop out of me. As I ran down the corridor to tell everyone, I saw a blue light shoot up the stairs.  On revealing everything, I was calmly told "Oh that's just Flo, she's harmless".  Purported to be an old lady who'd killed herself in the bath some 100 years before. 

Another recent one is my old cat.  Had him for 19 years. Died last year, yet we still see flashes of him in our peripheral. We do have other cats, but they're always accounted for when it happens. Best one was coming home in the car, reversing into the drive.  Saw what we thought was our current black cat stand up on the windowsill, stretch, then jump down, exactly like my old cat did.  Thing is, all the doors to the hallway were shut so it couldn't have been one of our current cats.  Before I said anything, my youngest exclaimed "Did you see that, it looked like Bilbo jumping down". Before I'd said anything, so it wasn't just me who saw it and I didn't lead her to say anything first.  

IMO there's definitely something, not that I can explain it. 

21 hours ago, ramit said:

i think that some apparitions we call ghosts and are unresponsive to the people seeing them are scenes from days gone by.  i told a story years ago here about one such happening in my family that got me thinking this way.

Ghosts, elves, spirits, these things are accepted as being real by many Icelanders.  My wife and i are house hunting these days and we have looked at a few houses.  If the spirit is bad in a house, it matters not how cheap it is or beautiful, we will never buy it.  The same goes for used items and antiques, as we believe that negative and positive energy can settle in solid matter.

Way back in the 80's my sister lived in an Edwardian house in Woodville. We both agreed that the upstairs made us very uneasy. There was a spooky feel to it which I now think was due to the lay-out, decor and age of the property. I think if the whole house had been modernised as in complete makeover, it would have been a lovely and pleasantly warm house to live in. As it was my sister used to sleep with the radio and the light on whenever she was alone there. In the parlance of the day we used to describe the atmosphere as 'vibes'.

That dates us! ?

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Here's an odd thing that 'happened to me' but which I did not consciously experience : a few days after my Mum died, my wife and I were back at home 130 miles away awaiting the funeral. In the middle of the night, my wife was awoken by me being restless and making distressed noises, though 'fast asleep'. She then smelt my Mum's favourite perfume, which she always wore, but one that my wife had never used herself. Within a few moments, she said, I quietened down and started breathing normally - the perfume faded. My wife isn't "into" the supernatural at all. I was completely oblivious to this until she told me the next morning. I'd had no dreams that I night that I could recall.

I wrote this the other day but never posted it.

A good few years ago we moved house, Sister(Debbie)and Brother in Law helped us with the move, Debbie had Crohns Disease, It never stopped her leading a good life, All went well and Pizzas all round, Debbie was booked into the DRI for a blood transfusion the following week, She settles down and talks to her fella, Seconds later she shouts "Gary I'm going" Gary being her then Husband, She passed away within seconds, The transfusion dislodged a blood clot which travelled and Calked her heart.

Funeral done and dusted, A few days later while asleep in my bed I woke up to see Debbie at the end of the bed, No more than a few seconds, Was I dreaming, Or was it something else, I never felt comfortable after that in the house, We moved a couple of years later.

Makes you wonder ?‍♀️

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

Way back in the 80's my sister lived in an Edwardian house in Woodville. We both agreed that the upstairs made us very uneasy. There was a spooky feel to it which I now think was due to the lay-out, decor and age of the property. I think if the whole house had been modernised as in complete makeover, it would have been a lovely and pleasantly warm house to live in. As it was my sister used to sleep with the radio and the light on whenever she was alone there. In the parlance of the day we used to describe the atmosphere as 'vibes'.

That dates us! ?

Woodville make me uneasy

Can’t say one way or the other but I’m sure there far more around us than we see, feel or understand 

ok here goes 

when my daughter passed away we had her ashes , we put them in the wardrobe and they were there for months a combination of not sure where to scatter them and perhaps not wanting to let them go , then our dog started to wake us with a bark in the middle of the night and he would be just sitting staring at the wardrobe, this went on for a few weeks and we were quite uncomfortable with it ,

we decided that I would take her ashes and scatter them on Dartmoor as she loved it there and as a horse lover she loved the ponies, it was the strangest day I’ve ever had , I went on my motorbike and it was horrible day , raining and cold , I got lost and stressed and ended up on little lanes all closed in with hedges and trees then I just had a calmness come over me and rode on feeling I was being lead ,I emerged from the lane to bright sunshine rolling hills and a group of ponies half way up the hill , I parked the bike and walked up the hill to a large rock and scattered the ashes ,sat down on the grass leaning on the rock and fell asleep for two hours ,

Was I lead ? maybe it was just emotion who knows but it was was the strangest sensation I’ve ever felt and gave a lot of peace when I woke 

9 hours ago, Highgate said:

Well dont come crying to me as been warned not to be messed with.

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

We had that our selfs 

I think that is your mum know that she is okay and just checking up you and she will continue to do so.

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Can’t say one way or the other but I’m sure there far more around us than we see, feel or understand 

ok here goes 

when my daughter passed away we had her ashes , we put them in the wardrobe and they were there for months a combination of not sure where to scatter them and perhaps not wanting to let them go , then our dog started to wake us with a bark in the middle of the night and he would be just sitting staring at the wardrobe, this went on for a few weeks and we were quite uncomfortable with it ,

we decided that I would take her ashes and scatter them on Dartmoor as she loved it there and as a horse lover she loved the ponies, it was the strangest day I’ve ever had , I went on my motorbike and it was horrible day , raining and cold , I got lost and stressed and ended up on little lanes all closed in with hedges and trees then I just had a calmness come over me and rode on feeling I was being lead ,I emerged from the lane to bright sunshine rolling hills and a group of ponies half way up the hill , I parked the bike and walked up the hill to a large rock and scattered the ashes ,sat down on the grass leaning on the rock and fell asleep for two hours ,

Was I lead ? maybe it was just emotion who knows but it was was the strangest sensation I’ve ever felt and gave a lot of peace when I woke 

I think you were led 

Maybe daughter saying final goodbye to you maybe because she knew miss her the most mate.

On 16/10/2022 at 16:52, Miggins said:

I'm inclined to believe that something of us exists post death but for how long? Both my sister and my brother-in-law saw his dad standing in the bay window of their house shortly after his death. He didn't seem to acknowledge them and just faded away. They are both perfectly rational people and I accept what they saw. A couple of days later they had a phone call from his distressed widow saying that she didn't feel she could deal with everything that follows a funeral on her own and of course they went down for a week and helped her to sort out his outstanding business. I wonder if he was asking them to go down and help her.

I've never experienced anything myself but how long these 'presences' last I really don't know.

Our brains are predictions machines. They try to make sense of the world around us but sometimes they can make mistakes, for example, if something is already on your mind, then that's what you brain will give you to experience.

Try this experiment out...

I’ve got a little skill in Mediumship myself. I’m very open to being entered by other beings.

In fact I’ve got Elvis here with me now, what’s that Elvis?

Elvis says it’s a load of old bollox.

Oh he also said he didn’t die on the thunder box either, that was all lies.

Fading now…

Edited by Boycie