Ghosts

Alph

28 minutes ago, Miggins said:

I'm pretty much the same age as you @Unlucky Alf and I remember doing something similar in about 1971. I was terrified as the glass seemed to move on its own. Our teacher was off sick for several weeks and being the 'top' class we were trusted to get on with our homework and without supervision during this free period but instead we got hold of the said board and held a session. To this day my advice would be not to mess with things you don't understand. I can't remember much of what happened apart from the impression that the glass seemed to move on its own but I could be wrong on the last point. My goodness, it was a long time ago!!

I don't fall for those Paranormal programmes in fact I don't watch em but seen the clips of screams in the dark, Reality TV at It's daftest, But things that go bump in the night with no explanation well that's a little different.

I watched 6th Sense when it was 1st released ? It reminded me of Notts Forest..."I see Dead People All the Time"   

29 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I don't fall for those Paranormal programmes in fact I don't watch em but seen the clips of screams in the dark, Reality TV at It's daftest, But things that go bump in the night with no explanation well that's a little different.

I watched 6th Sense when it was 1st released ? It reminded me of Notts Forest..."I see Dead People All the Time"   

I've never watched any paranormal programmes because I think that they have been manipulated to provide dramatic effect. But first hand experience from loved and much trusted friends and family is something quite different.

i think that some apparitions we call ghosts and are unresponsive to the people seeing them are scenes from days gone by.  i told a story years ago here about one such happening in my family that got me thinking this way.

Ghosts, elves, spirits, these things are accepted as being real by many Icelanders.  My wife and i are house hunting these days and we have looked at a few houses.  If the spirit is bad in a house, it matters not how cheap it is or beautiful, we will never buy it.  The same goes for used items and antiques, as we believe that negative and positive energy can settle in solid matter.

Edited by ramit
typo

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Just thought I'd get a quick one liner in to the above.

Many years ago as a young teenager me and a friend played with the Ouija Board...it was the fad in the late 60s early 70s, 2 lads in the evening who were bored, We asked a question and it spelt out D E A T H, We shot out the house pretty damn sharpish, Went for some chips and back to the house for a drink.

On entering the house my mate screamed and came running into the kitchen...what the hells up I said, The glass that we used was smashed into shreds, There's was no one in the house when we left, No one went into the house while we were out and he didn't smash the glass.

To this day I keep well clear of the dark side of Death...if there is one ?‍♀️

Ouija boards work by something called the ideomotor effect, it's the same things that operates in water divining and such. Small unconscious movements by one participant are picked up and amplified by others and the combined motion spells out a word.  It worked beautifully when I used a ouija board with friends in University.  We could have sworn that none of us had moved the ...ummm...thingy...but it was us. 

Test after test shows that Ouija boards simply don't work if the participants are wearing blindfolds.  Now why would that be if it were the spirits who were in control?  

10 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Ouija boards work by something called the ideomotor effect, it's the same things that operates in water divining and such. Small unconscious movements by one participant are picked up and amplified by others and the combined motion spells out a word.  It worked beautifully when I used a ouija board with friends in University.  We could have sworn that none of us had moved the ...ummm...thingy...but it was us. 

Test after test shows that Ouija boards simply don't work if the participants are wearing blindfolds.  Now why would that be if it were the spirits who were in control?  

So subconsciously it's us doing the moving?

Then how does a glass break or books stacked up ?‍♀️

Edited by Unlucky Alf

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

It depends which ones your what for examples one called taps there more scinctic but also try to prove a claim or disclaim try proves rational to it.

24 minutes ago, ramit said:

i think that some apparitions we call ghosts and are unresponsive to the people seeing them are scenes from days gone by.  i told a story years ago here about one such happening in my family that got me thinking this way.

Ghosts, elves, spirits, these things are accepted as being real by many Icelanders.  My wife and i are house hunting these days and we have looked at a few houses.  If the spirit is bad in a house, it matters not how cheap it is or beautiful, we will never buy it.  The same goes for used items and antiques, as we believe that negative and positive energy can settle in solid matter.

I agree, @ramit and I appreciate your interpretation of these events.

Sometimes you can stay in a house and feel uneasy but you can't explain why. Other houses you feel relaxed and cosy.

I agree also with your view on used items and antiques. I have several antique clocks some going back 150 years and I sometimes wonder if they bring some negative or positive energy with them. So far I've not felt anything negative about any of them. I keep them well serviced and pamper them like babies!! ?

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

Look ask people that been affected by using them and evil spirits coming people homes and can not be removed easily or if at all.

3 hours ago, ramit said:

That is very very true mate

As said to another poster they can be attached to item or items.

13 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Look ask people that been affected by using them and evil spirits coming people homes and can not be removed easily or if at all.

I'm sure many of them are perfectly sincere in their belief.  That doesn't mean that they aren't mistaken.  

3 hours ago, Highgate said:

I  once saw a ouija spell out someone's name who wasn't there and that they would get ill, the illness and the year .  All spot on about 13 years later.  Also know someone who's daughter used one and every morning for about 3 months she would wake up with her wardrobe door open and all the drawers open.  She wound up sleeping in her mums bedroom. 

Weird weird s*** and I would never recommend playing with one.

5 hours ago, Miggins said:

Slightly off subject but what about 'Ghosts' on BBC? We love this programme about the ghosts haunting the Button House. By turns it is funny and sad. After we watched the first series we bought the box set of |Horrible Histories which featured the same cast. Absolutely brilliant!!

I remember watching that GHOSTWATCH thing with Michael Aspel and Sarah Greene one Halloween.  Been to Wolves away that day and turned that on when I got in .  Nearly s*** me pants. 

3 hours ago, Miggins said:

I agree also with your view on used items and antiques. I have several antique clocks some going back 150 years and I sometimes wonder if they bring some negative or positive energy with them. So far I've not felt anything negative about any of them. I keep them well serviced and pamper them like babies!! ?

A friend of mine is convinced she has bought a haunted chest of drawers - I laughed in her face till she told me the stories. Weird!

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

A friend of mine is convinced she has bought a haunted chest of drawers - I laughed in her face till she told me the stories. Weird!

Good friend of mine used to live a house in Duffield for about ten years.  When he moved in he was advised that in the attic there was a childs pram, victorian if memory serves and that it was best to leave it be as when it got moved weird stuff would happen.  He left that alone till about 2 years before he left when the watertank in the attic got a leak that meant the whole space had to dried out .  Soon as the pram left the loft he would hear a bloke coughing at the bottom of the stairs in the morning, he tried to push the living room door shut one night while sat on the sofa and something shoved it back at him and the worst one was the reaction of the previously very happy Labrador he had that wouldn't stay downstairs anymore so slept on the bedroom floor.  one night the dogs ball rolled into the bedroom.  Work done in a week or so and the pram went back.  No more problems.

On 16/10/2022 at 14:02, David said:

Signals from your brain that make you feel pain.

Brain is insanely powerful and not always under our control, taking control is not always easy. 

Anyhow, this is probably for the other topic, point remains though in that I believe if your brain is allowing you to see them, you will, when in reality there is nothing there.

That's why I'll never really argue with a believer, I can imagine it's totally real to them. 

We don’t really see anything that hasn’t been filtered through our brain first.

our eyes actually see the world upside down. The brain flips the image around. Our eyes have a bunch of blind spots, our brain fills in the blanks.

stands to reason our brain could make all sorts of stuff up between the light hitting our retinas and us actually consciously interpreting the image. 

25 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Good friend of mine used to live a house in Duffield for about ten years.  When he moved in he was advised that in the attic there was a childs pram, victorian if memory serves and that it was best to leave it be as when it got moved weird stuff would happen.  He left that alone till about 2 years before he left when the watertank in the attic got a leak that meant the whole space had to dried out .  Soon as the pram left the loft he would hear a bloke coughing at the bottom of the stairs in the morning, he tried to push the living room door shut one night while sat on the sofa and something shoved it back at him and the worst one was the reaction of the previously very happy Labrador he had that wouldn't stay downstairs anymore so slept on the bedroom floor.  one night the dogs ball rolled into the bedroom.  Work done in a week or so and the pram went back.  No more problems.

If you ever find old shoes in lofts or in garden leave them well alone as been placed there to protect you and your house from evil spirts.