Ghosts

Alph

6 minutes ago, Miggins said:

@Unlucky AlfMy lovely mum is just on the verge of dementia at 91 years of age. She loves watching 'ghosts' but I have to keep explaining to her who the ghosts are! Even after 3 seasons she still forgets!

Ah bless her, I shouldn't make fun of my forest mate who has the same problem, He still thinks they're wining the European Cup every year?

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

I'm not suggesting that all of physics or indeed quantum mechanics is fully understood far from it.  Just that, at the scale of our bodies, we know very well how the atoms work and interact.  And what we know and have observed doesn't leave much room for ethereal shenanigans after we die.  

You think in this era of everyone having recording equipment in their pocket we would finally have solid verifiable evidence of ghosts existence.  But they seem strangely introverted all of a sudden.  They seemed to prefer the past when there was less electrical lighting and no smartphones.  Maybe because our imaginations and pattern seeking brains were more active in the shadows back then?  

Like I said...if we are think ghosts are a serious possibility, then surely unicorns, vampires, and leprechauns are also genuinely possible.  There existence can also be supported using the same 'we don't understand all of the universe so anything is possible' logic. 

I didn't used to give oddities much thought. People would go on about ghosts or UFOs or big cats roaming around and I'd shrug and think they were a bit nuts. But then I saw an 8 foot long puma stalking its way across a field in Staffordshire and it gave me pause for thought, as I wondered what I'd have thought if someone had told me about it. I have highly intelligent friends who have talked very convincingly of their experiences with "the supernatural" or ghosts. I've no experience of this myself, but my big-cat experience makes me think it's right to keep an open mind.

You asked about my ideas regarding dark matter and an obvious "traditional" way not to have dark matter is the idea of massive gravity (ie the force-carrying graviton also has mass, which I actually suggested to Hawking when I was still at school!) but my personal idea nowadays is that it's more likely the Universe is some sort of computational entity (and quantum mechanics is a clever way of reducing the computational load) and, if that is the case, it raises questions of whether it's natural and still some sort of base reality, or whether it's some sort of artificial programmed thing, which in turn raises questions of whether it's a type of simulation or not. And in some of these options there is potential scope for "ethereal shenanigans after we die".

33 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I didn't used to give oddities much thought. People would go on about ghosts or UFOs or big cats roaming around and I'd shrug and think they were a bit nuts. But then I saw an 8 foot long puma stalking its way across a field in Staffordshire and it gave me pause for thought, as I wondered what I'd have thought if someone had told me about it. I have highly intelligent friends who have talked very convincingly of their experiences with "the supernatural" or ghosts. I've no experience of this myself, but my big-cat experience makes me think it's right to keep an open mind.

You asked about my ideas regarding dark matter and an obvious "traditional" way not to have dark matter is the idea of massive gravity (ie the force-carrying graviton also has mass, which I actually suggested to Hawking when I was still at school!) but my personal idea nowadays is that it's more likely the Universe is some sort of computational entity (and quantum mechanics is a clever way of reducing the computational load) and, if that is the case, it raises questions of whether it's natural and still some sort of base reality, or whether it's some sort of artificial programmed thing, which in turn raises questions of whether it's a type of simulation or not. And in some of these options there is potential scope for "ethereal shenanigans after we die".

Yes, odd things do happen. But isn't the Staffordshire puma, if it exists, just an escaped zoo animal or former pet, nothing supernatural about it. 

Keeping an open mind for me, is simply weighing up the evidence before drawing any conclusions and allowing those conclusions to be based on that evidence and nothing more.  And of course realizing that you can never be 100% sure.  The evidence as far as I can see points firmly away from the existence of ghosts.  But obviously I might be wrong.

Simulated universes, of the Nick Bostrom type, are a fascinating subject and do bring another dimension (no pun intended) to the debate about what is natural and supernatural. I don't believe in them myself, there does seem like a whole lot of redundant information in this universe if it were simulated, but really I have no firm opinions on the subject.  Like the search for Dark Matter and Dark Energy though...it's all very interesting 

5 hours ago, Highgate said:

Yes, odd things do happen. But isn't the Staffordshire puma, if it exists, just an escaped zoo animal or former pet, nothing supernatural about it. 

Keeping an open mind for me, is simply weighing up the evidence before drawing any conclusions and allowing those conclusions to be based on that evidence and nothing more.  And of course realizing that you can never be 100% sure.  The evidence as far as I can see points firmly away from the existence of ghosts.  But obviously I might be wrong.

Simulated universes, of the Nick Bostrom type, are a fascinating subject and do bring another dimension (no pun intended) to the debate about what is natural and supernatural. I don't believe in them myself, there does seem like a whole lot of redundant information in this universe if it were simulated, but really I have no firm opinions on the subject.  Like the search for Dark Matter and Dark Energy though...it's all very interesting 

Well there all over uk  now no doubt they had Cubs as well so numbers will be larger now.

I'm not convinced by these Puma sightings. I mean, we managed to kill all our other indigenous "dangerous" animals - bears, wolves etc - without the help of modern technology, but no one in the 21st century can find these random foreign imports? 

On 22/10/2022 at 03:59, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

There's a website called Paranormal Database that includes most famous and rumored hauntings / locations around the UK and Ireland.    Derbyshire is included.     

This reminds me that 20 odd years ago, a mate of mine had a vaguely weird experience near the old Derby Gaol one night. He told his mum, who promptly rang Richard Felix and the old Ghosthunter himself came down and interviewed him about what happened

Several years later we went on one of the Derby Ghost Walks and were surprised to hear his story being told to the punters in a way that, shall we say, somewhat embellished the details. To the point where it was laughable. He'd essentially inserted details that simply didn't happen, but made for a better (spookier) story.

Needless to say my mate never got paid and yet the Derby Ghost Walks did  a roaring trade. ?

• 3 months later...

We have a puzzling issue at home at the moment. I've stuck this under the Ghosts thread, although it's more of a mystery without an obvious solution as yet.

A photoframe on top of a tall chest of drawers in our bedroom seems to be moving of its own accord. It's not a photograph of anybody, it's merely a photo that we like taken somewhere that we went on holiday - it's a sort of sculpture : neither we or anyone else is in the picture. There are two other photo frames on the same unit that don't move. Every time this happens, we return it to its original position and then a few days later, it's moved again.

Mrs C swears she's not responsible for it (and she's incapable of maintaining a wind-up successfully this long) so it looks like I'm going to have to buy a motion-activated video camera in order to get to the bottom of it! ??

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

We have a puzzling issue at home at the moment. I've stuck this under the Ghosts thread, although it's more of a mystery without an obvious solution as yet.

A photoframe on top of a tall chest of drawers in our bedroom seems to be moving of its own accord. It's not a photograph of anybody, it's merely a photo that we like taken somewhere that we went on holiday - it's a sort of sculpture : neither we or anyone else is in the picture. There are two other photo frames on the same unit that don't move. Every time this happens, we return it to its original position and then a few days later, it's moved again.

Mrs C swears she's not responsible for it (and she's incapable of maintaining a wind-up successfully this long) so it looks like I'm going to have to buy a motion-activated video camera in order to get to the bottom of it! ??

ghost GIF hope you get to the bottom of it mate

12 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Have you swapped the order of the frames around to see if any of the others move if placed in the same position? Or swapped which picture is in each frame?

Are the frames roughly the same size, shape and weight and likely to be affected by vibrations in an equal manner?

31 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Is the photo a recent addition? Has anything at all changed with the ornament arrangement etc ?

I have my mobile on my office desk, in a folding holder/stand thing and about a year ago, it started to fall out of the holder and on to my desk with quite a thud, while I was working on my PC.

It probably did it at least once a day for a couple of weeks (never happened before that). I mentioned it to Mrs Wolfie and one of her friends claims to be "sensitive". Anyway a week or so later, she told me it was an airman from ww2 (Our office building is on an old airfield site) and he just wanted to say hello.

The next day I was working late alone and so I said hello to him and introduced myself (can't remember his name) both in my office and walking around the building.

The.Phone.Never.Fell.Out.Again.

Spooky.