Ghosts

Alph

Do you believe in them? Just enduring Yvette Fielding on the radio. Scientists aren't taking paranormal activity serious enough. 

How did we feel about old Derek and Sam channeling some poor widows husband?

Have you seen 'em on telly handing around old houses in the dark sensing evil spirits? 

Never seen one, but experienced some strange goings on in old houses that I've worked on under refurbishment. Once lived in a house and have a story related to the supernatural which is hard to explain. My sister sees them all the time and has told me on more than one occasion that houses I've lived in are haunted. I remain sceptical but not dismissive.

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Do you believe in them? Just enduring Yvette Fielding on the radio. Scientists aren't taking paranormal activity serious enough. 

How did we feel about old Derek and Sam channeling some poor widows husband?

Have you seen 'em on telly handing around old houses in the dark sensing evil spirits? 

I don’t believe in them, however the thought of them does intrigue me as well as the occult and all things spooky. If they were real though surely by now we’d have categorical evidence of their existence? I mean Yvette’s own programs used to go to all the eligibly most haunted places in the UK, they never caught anything remotely tangible to prove the existence of anything supernatural.

I homely hope people can prove me wrong in the categorical evidence comment though. 

I love a good paranormal mystery but ultimately I've never seen one and don't believe in life after death so ?

I have read interesting scientific theories on multiple dimensions which may explain ghosts or why ufos seemingly to pop in an out of reality etc, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence so its all conjecture.

More passing curiosity than anything tbh.

5 minutes ago, David said:

When I went to the docs with anxiety, he said to me don't let anyone tell you the pain isn't real. It is real as you feel it. 

With this in my mind, I believe if your brain wants you to see ghosts, you will see them.

I haven't seen them myself, to be honest I'm glad as it would freak me out. 

Different experience to me!! I went with chest pains and chest tightening. They said physically I'm fine and it's likely down to a mental thing. 

Then sent me packing. 

About the 2nd time I've been to hospital in my adult life and I'm pretty much told to man up. ?

Felt like a right knobber wasting their time! If I had a heart attack now I'd try and walk it off ?

Just now, Alpha said:

Different experience to me!! I went with chest pains and chest tightening. They said physically I'm fine and it's likely down to a mental thing. 

Then sent me packing. 

About the 2nd time I've been to hospital in my adult life and I'm pretty much told to man up. ?

Felt like a right knobber wasting their time! If I had a heart attack now I'd try and walk it off ?

Signals from your brain that make you feel pain.

Brain is insanely powerful and not always under our control, taking control is not always easy. 

Anyhow, this is probably for the other topic, point remains though in that I believe if your brain is allowing you to see them, you will, when in reality there is nothing there.

That's why I'll never really argue with a believer, I can imagine it's totally real to them. 

From a scientific standpoint, ghosts aren’t real. There is no clear evidence of them.

But I agree with David and Alpha. 

Ghosts can be 100% real in the mind for some people. The brain is a powerful tool and each person’s brain has different capabilities.

I know a guy my age who is constantly talking to himself. But I’m convinced, in his mind, he is talking to an imaginary other person.

What do we think about that Derek fella then who used to speak to people's loved ones "on the other side" 

Was he offering comfort to those who saw him? Did he actually believes he heard messages? Or was he parting grieving people from their monies?

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What do we think about that Derek fella then who used to speak to people's loved ones "on the other side" 

Was he offering comfort to those who saw him? Did he actually believes he heard messages? Or was he parting grieving people from their monies?

Difficult one, first thought they are plants, paid to be there and verify info that's being fed back. 

Second thought is, the information can be vague enough to be twisted to suit the person if they want to believe.

Wouldn't mind seeing one with my sceptical views. See what came of it.

I wish they'd dedicate the TV time currently reserved for using gullible idiots for entertainment purposes and instead show the research going into understanding the brain and why people's minds sometimes work against them.

But then there's probably a bit more work required for such a show compared to sticking Debs and Derek in a dark castle for the night and have a stage hand shine some lights and open and close some doors. 

7 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I wish they'd dedicate the TV time currently reserved for using gullible idiots for entertainment purposes and instead show the research going into understanding the brain and why people's minds sometimes work against them.

But then there's probably a bit more work required for such a show compared to sticking Debs and Derek in a dark castle for the night and have a stage hand shine some lights and open and close some doors. 

It's light entertainment mate,just because people watch em for a laugh,it doesn't mean they believe it all.

Life's miserable enough without having to watch panarama every night.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's light entertainment mate,just because people watch em for a laugh,it doesn't mean they believe it all.

Life's miserable enough without having to watch panarama every night.

Not sure the type of thing I'm on about would be on Panorama.

A show about how the mind works, explaining why people think they've seen ghosts for instance that goes beyond "because they're too daft to realise the mind can play tricks on them" would be more interesting to me than watching shysters like Derek Acorah using people who don't know any better as dancing bears for Kasharamadingdong to laugh at.

You obviously disagree. No problem, we all like different things.

29 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

A show about how the mind works, explaining why people think they've seen ghosts for instance that goes beyond "because they're too daft to realise the mind can play tricks on them" would be more interesting to me than watching shysters like Derek Acorah using people who don't know any better as dancing bears for Kasharamadingdong to laugh at.

I would be all over a channel like that. 

Sadly people are happy to lap up the low effort content where celebrities are prancing about on ice or in staged jungle.

When I see some of the TV shows trending on Twitter, like Love Island I realise I'm not in the intended audience for programme creators anymore.

52 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Something like this? The mind explained

No idea about the actual detail of the tv showt, but the title suggests it's what you're looking for.

There's quite a good series about ghosts and the supernatural on Radio 4, called 'Uncanny'. It's between series at the moment, but if you're interested in this kind of stuff it's worth a listen. Previous episodes are on BBC Sounds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m0010x7c

As for me, I'm on the sceptical end of being open minded. I had some very strange experiences with this kind of stuff when I was younger, so I don't completely reject it out of hand 

28 minutes ago, David said:

I would be all over a channel like that. 

Sadly people are happy to lap up the low effort content where celebrities are prancing about on ice or in staged jungle.

When I see some of the TV shows trending on Twitter, like Love Island I realise I'm not in the intended audience for programme creators anymore.

I'm not against reality TV but that doesn't exist either. It's scripted "reality" which is surely just a soap with worse acting and even duller storylines. 

Ok, so you sit down at the kitchen table and then Fred will enter like he's just got out of bed and then you should maybe mention last night's dinner. And... Action!! 

It's really weird.