Boro Sack Wilder

Beetle

Something definitely happened behind the scenes to derail Wilder at Boro. The majority of his work last season looked good and it would appear promotion was a distinct possibility. However, it would seem that Wilder's head was turned with Burnley and like Stevie Mc with Newcastle this led to a drop off in form.

Whoever gets him next is very lucky in my opinion. 

37 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Something definitely happened behind the scenes to derail Wilder at Boro. The majority of his work last season looked good and it would appear promotion was a distinct possibility. However, it would seem that Wilder's head was turned with Burnley and like Stevie Mc with Newcastle this led to a drop off in form.

Whoever gets him next is very lucky in my opinion. 

He has a history of calling out those who don't pull their weight by going to the press, Especially this last 12months he's called his players out several times.

Footballers are delicate. Especially in the world of multiple media and social media platforms.

Wilder seems to be part of that old school approach. He doesn’t come across as particularly protective of his players. Not an arm round the shoulder type. In contrast, he calls his players out in public and seems authoritarian.

It was probably a clash of personalities at Boro more than anything wrong tactically.

Players probably didn’t buy in to Wilder’s methods.

Seems the three front runners to replace Wilder are the bloke sacked a week ago by Watford (Edwards), the bloke sacked six weeks ago by Stoke (O’Neill) and the bloke sacked five weeks ago by Bournemouth (Parker).

The consensus on the Boro forum is to appoint an interim coach and wait for Marinakis to sack Cooper.

on ya marks, get set and they’re off!?

spacer.png

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Wilder is a great manager, for sure, but it's really not worked out for him at Boro. They've spent/reinvested quite a bit of money after the Djed Spence sale in the summer so I doubt they expected to be troubling the bottom 3 this season - even if it is early in the season. 

Equally, Wilder took his time at Sheffield United and built a team that worked within his style of play. The forward runs from the centre backs, which caused every team matchup nightmares, seemingly haven't transitioned well to the North East. Not many of this core principles could've done because Wilder is a smart guy. 

I think it just goes to show that football management is an enigma - you can do the same thing, with two different sides and get completely different results. Important not to get too downhearted or upbeat about a particular managerial appointment because it really could go either way. I have no doubts some are better than others, but if you have a top manager and the squad don't buy in or don't like his methods then it won't be successful. Chris Hughton is a good example of just how erratic the life of a football manager can be. 

It will be interesting to see who Boro get in, but very much doubt it will be anyone with a better track record than Wilder - not that I think that it matters too much! 

Clough at Leeds is probably the ultimate example of that. 

2 hours ago, jagerbob said:

back of the net!

its been a good day.

forest lose 4-0 and boro need to sack their manager.

It wasn’t all good. I heard Leicester won their game 4-0, and got off the foot of the table. 

Edited by TigerTedd

16 hours ago, jagerbob said:

back of the net!

its been a good day.

forest lose 4-0 and boro need to sack their manager.

Not forgetting that Wycombe Wan Kers also lost at the weekend...and Man Ure shipped 6 goals :))

Rams winning and the other delightful events gave us a 'full house'!

C O Y R

Edited by Woodypecker

On 03/10/2022 at 10:39, Ambitious said:

Wilder is a great manager, for sure, but it's really not worked out for him at Boro. They've spent/reinvested quite a bit of money after the Djed Spence sale in the summer so I doubt they expected to be troubling the bottom 3 this season - even if it is early in the season. 

Equally, Wilder took his time at Sheffield United and built a team that worked within his style of play. The forward runs from the centre backs, which caused every team matchup nightmares, seemingly haven't transitioned well to the North East. Not many of this core principles could've done because Wilder is a smart guy. 

I think it just goes to show that football management is an enigma - you can do the same thing, with two different sides and get completely different results. Important not to get too downhearted or upbeat about a particular managerial appointment because it really could go either way. I have no doubts some are better than others, but if you have a top manager and the squad don't buy in or don't like his methods then it won't be successful. Chris Hughton is a good example of just how erratic the life of a football manager can be. 

It will be interesting to see who Boro get in, but very much doubt it will be anyone with a better track record than Wilder - not that I think that it matters too much! 

I'd rate Wilder as no more than a good manager. He assembled a group of players that suited how he wanted his team to play, that result in them being promoted to the premiership.

A great manager would have kept them there with the introduction of better players, something Wilder was unable to do.

Also during his time at Sheff. U. is win rate was actually worse than young Nigel's time there.

So possibly a good manager but definitely not a great one.

• 3 weeks later...