Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

11 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

I might get some pelters here but personally I think the potential appointment of Paul Warne is possibily the best option available to us at this stage of our " rebirth ".

LR clearly was influential in WR's team, some even suggested he was THE tactician in the set-up. Our away form was woeful last season, and continues to be so. There's absolutely no chance of promotion repeatedly making the same mistakes away from home.

If you've not listened the the BBC podcast Moment Of Truth, where he and Oxford's Karl Robinson were mic'ed up for the second half of last season, I suggest you do. He is a supreme man manager. Direct yes - very!  A complete sweary-Mary, but he can get players to run through brick walls for him. He knows what levers to pull for each of his players. I think we're all agreed we have one of the better squads in our division, but Paul Warne has done much more with lesser players and less than half our budget in this division. I listened to the podcast and did think he would be just the sort of motivator that would be ideal for us at this level. As much as I admire LR's loyalty , if you've ever seen the cameras in the dressing room, he's very vanilla and I'd even suggest uninspiring .

" But he plays hoofball doesn't he, Paul Warne? " I hear some cry. He plays with what he's got and the budget he's got.  I think he'd be licking his lips at the opportunity to work with our squad. One thing I'd be confident of, based on what I've heard of him when he was mic'ed ( is that even a word? ) up is that nothing will be left on the pitch. He demands it from every player.

I'll take that with our squad. If we're not good enough in the final analysis, I'll accept that. But it won't be for the lack of Paul Warne pushing them to their limits and accepting anything less than 100% from every player. Oh, and his track record in this division isn't too shabby, so he's not all talk.

I like everything David Clowes has done so far, measured, not knee-jerk, but I believe he's seen enough to be brave when change is needed.

We will certainly be in for a hell of a ride if we do appoint him.

DC, you've got huge gonads Sir. I applaud you.

Post of the day - in this thread at least

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agree. How many teams, other than Watford, have succeeded through changing managers every 5 minutes. I think a period of stability would have been nice.

Stability for the sake of stability? Rosenior is a great guy but I never truly believed he was the man to lead this club forwards.

13 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Warne may fit the bill with his previous success at League one level, but does his style of play fit the bill with our current squad. I think this could be a massive mistake by the hierarchy at this club. I hope I am wrong, or perhaps Warne might adapt a different style of play, than his Rowett/ball kind of tactics/style.

Her guess is as good as ours ?‍♀️

image.png.a3323296a4e9cc87c35b995dd785298d.png

1 minute ago, DerbyRevolution said:

To get on radio derby these days you have to either

own a big flag

run a derby podcast

be in rams trust

be in Punjabi rams 

be Lisa Howard 

To be fair they are just trying to get a fan perspective, they can't really pull in random fans in each week, one week they could end up with one of us lot and how bad would that be ?

7 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

So the umpteen signings in the summer who LR signed to mould his own team now have to learn a new style with a manager the majority potentially wouldn't of signed for, style of play etc

It hasn't been great to watch but surely the new team was still adapting to LR style and 9 league games isn't long enough. 

Hope Clowes has got this right as it could all end in tears 

Surely we’re not going back into lockdown 

He won’t be looking at us and thinking ‘what am I getting’. He’ll weigh up the squad and know exactly what he’s going to be dealing with…. If this all comes to fruition. So I’d not be worrying about ‘it’s not his squad’. Quite sure the players are aware of all that’s going on. Let’s see…. I feel comfortable….. so far 

4 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

Why not?

It's just the feeling I have. He is a rookie, he's been a part of the coaching staff over the last few years where we haven't been able to buy a win away from home. He's a great guy as everyone has said but I just don't think he has the steel or grit needed at the moment. I think we need a proper experienced manager to get us out this league this season. 

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

So, does Warne get more than 9 league games to prove himself? 

What none of us know is was LR being given the chance to prove himself (in which case, 9 games doesn't seem long enough, despite our shocking away record, given the hand he was dealt) or was he genuinely only ever an interim manager pending the appointment of a permanent manager (in which case, the sooner it happened the better). I just hope he was treated fairly and communicated with in the right way.