Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't be deliberately obtuse. I've watched my Club since the late 60s. If you think that was a juvenile comment then you are wrong. Warne has stressed fitness ie the ability to run until 'gassed out' over anything else. His comment on Didzy a few days or so (?) ago was telling, he was very surprised at how much work Didzy got through. Would he have signed Didzy?

i think too much is made of this gassed out comment, a lot of these players we signed in the summer were playing catch up plus a fair few had played very few games in months , so understandably fitness was always going to be a priority for any new manager , i for one was also surprised at Didzys workrate he never struck me in the past as a particular workhorse

I’m Warne in but he’s leaving a lot to be desired. 

Think this season has been an eye opener for him. In terms of he couldn’t have expected our legs to go so drastically. 

It’s all about next season but ironically if he recruits the amount of players we need then starts poorly and gets the sack then possession based managers who play ‘good football’ will be the exact opposite for what we’ve recruited for and the stagnation could last even longer. 

Think DC has two options: Back Warne for another season at least and hope he gets us up. Or get him gone in the summer and find a manager that’ll happily rely on Thomas and the recruitment team to sign players on their behalf.

3 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Genuine question, why did you choose Derby County if you watch football to be entertained? How many pure entertaining seasons have we had in your lifetime that you've witnessed? 2? 3? I have no doubt you'll remember some seasons as entertaining based on League finish (making the play offs or in and around), something that will no doubt not be afforded to PW. 

Were you not entertained vs MK Dons? Were you entertained during the 16 game unbeaten run? The last 10 games or so, minus a couple of good halves and the MK performance has been below par no doubt, but is that the only sample you're willing to discuss? I know as fans we're very reactionary to what we've just seen but there's got to be some context. 

That aside, I don't think it would sit right with me sacking a manager and having to pay him off, barely months after we have just shafted the tax man. Maybe it was irresponsible of DC to give out such a long contract but I'm happy to sit tight and see how it plays out for a fair bit yet. 

Why you ask? Simply because of my dad. He took me to PP when I was about 6 or 7 (against Leeds if memory serves me correctly, lost 1-0, a penalty I believe), been hooked ever since. My parents took me to France 20 odd years ago, still didn't stop me from being Derby mad and all it took was 1 game... I try to go back as often as I can, and watch everything on ramstv (thank god for that!).

To be honest, and let's put it this way, I have more often not been entertained (style-wise) than I have. Even on the unbeaten run, the footie wasn't that bad, but it wasn't fantastic either, lot's of long balls and the midfield (one of the strong points of the squad based on personnel available) is often bypassed. I suppose it comes down to opinions, I prefer to see footie played on the ground with midfield runners, some prefer other things 🤷‍♂️ 

I am not Warne out just yet. Never said I was. I just don't really get they way he is trying to play given the fact the we have some damn technically gifted footballers in our squad.

I am not a fan of playing 3 centre half’s because it usually means your defenders can’t defend properly 

I am not a fan of playing wingbacks - yes Ebosele could have done it and probably Buchanan as well but they have left whilst mendiz Lang and Barkhauzen openly stated that they left their previous clubs because they hated playing in those positions 

I am not a fan of having 5 substitutes because they simply unhinge the side on the pitch

i am not a fan of never leaving one or two players up from corners - the opposing team have to leave 2-3 players back and why have some useless ones at heading the ball in our own penalty area because they just lose their man.

I am a fan of 442 with strong players who can last a full match - we play with far to many whimps on the pitch at the same time

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

i think too much is made of this gassed out comment, a lot of these players we signed in the summer were playing catch up plus a fair few had played very few games in months , so understandably fitness was always going to be a priority for any new manager , i for one was also surprised at Didzys workrate he never struck me in the past as a particular workhorse

Around Xmas time PW was interviewed he said our fitness level is higher than it was when he took over, He used his hands to signify it, Our fitness was here...low hand, And now it's here...high hand.

Who has used the words "gassed out", Never heard PW say this, Is this something that started life on this board?

15 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Around Xmas time PW was interviewed he said our fitness level is higher than it was when he took over, He used his hands to signify it, Our fitness was here...low hand, And now it's here...high hand.

Who has used the words "gassed out", Never heard PW say this, Is this something that started life on this board?

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't be deliberately obtuse. I've watched my Club since the late 60s. If you think that was a juvenile comment then you are wrong. Warne has stressed fitness ie the ability to run until 'gassed out' over anything else. His comment on Didzy a few days or so (?) ago was telling, he was very surprised at how much work Didzy got through. Would he have signed Didzy?

Nah, definite half fan 🤣

People who are calling for Warne to go aren't using their heads. We're under a business plan. We cannot afford to get rid of the manager and won't be able to for the duration of the business plan, so get used to it. 

Further, I don't see how you can judge a manager based on a mixed up squad of people near retirement age and young players without much experience. He hasn't been able to bring anyone in. Judge him when he has his own team. 

5 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

I think there's only one poster expecting instant success (Milenniumram) and actively calling for the manager's head, although maybe others are thinking it but not so outwardly speaking it. I would think / hope he knows full well that he's being a liitle bit OTT, and intentionally fitting in with a characateur built up over a number of years of posting.

I agree though - this topic does make me laugh, but for different reasons.

I find it funny, on a Derby County forum and in a topic dedicated to discussing the performance of the current manager, how averse some posters are to doing just that, how much they plead for the discussion to cease and how much they try to dispel any dissenting voices as coming from the fingers of impatient ingrates with no understanding of where the club has been in the recent past.

All the while claiming that it's those who actually want to discuss the relative merits and flaws of the manager who are the short-sighted ones, when in fact a lot of the complaints and criticisms come from people looking at his managerial traits and fitting them (or rather being unable to fit them) to the longer term future of the club. We are in a period of building, but some have doubts about what we're building toward, how far it will take us, what the impact will be on our Academy etc.

I can't think of anything more short-sighted than closing one's eyes and saying it's too early to have a proper discussion, look where we were a year ago etc.

Another funny thing is it's often coming from people with a history showing a much less generous and at times merciless disposition toward previous managers and the respective difficulties they faced when matched up against the expectations of them at the time, but it's probably best to leave the past where it lies on that one.

Very good post. It feels that you’re not even allowed a discussion on anything vaguely negative about warne or the team no matter how they play.

early on was a lack of pre season, now is legs have gone, restrictions, not got own players.

what worries me is I’m almost certain there’ll be something else next season. Need time to gel or still under restrictions.

not warne out at all but think has had a really poor couple of months now with no signing of turning that round. Missing the play offs from position in late jan would be a huge failure in my eyes.

How did we manage to go from positive passing football with 28 shots on goal against MK Don's to not being able to pass to each other against Bristol Rovers? Do we have a tired squad or not? Are the players incapable or are they playing to very different orders game by game? 

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

1 hour ago, Rich3478 said:

not warne out at all but think has had a really poor couple of months now with no signing of turning that round. Missing the play offs from position in late jan would be a huge failure in my eyes.

Then why don't we wait until the seasons end before making such statements. By all means criticise the manager performance game to game but some posters are talking like the playoffs are already gone when we are 1 point off with 4 games to play. Bizarre.

2 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Warne uses the term  “Leggy” quite a bit when he talks about us running out of steam. He is the “Fitness Expert” so he should know . Give me a lazy so and so who can run rings round the opposition when he feels like it.

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Warne uses the term  “Leggy” quite a bit when he talks about us running out of steam. He is the “Fitness Expert” so he should know . Give me a lazy so and so who can run rings round the opposition when he feels like it.

This is not a dig at PW, But do you think "those lazy so and so's" of today are having their skills "coached" out of them?

38 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Then why don't we wait until the seasons end before making such statements. By all means criticise the manager performance game to game but some posters are talking like the playoffs are already gone when we are 1 point off with 4 games to play. Bizarre.

They’re not gone but doing our best to throw them away. Can understand why people are frustrated

we don’t seem to be giving ourselves the best chance to win games is a worry for some people I think.

23 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

View it from front on - RamsTV - and it's clear White tries to stop their player getting past/behind him.

Thats the view i got, 

ill have to watch it again but from first take white certainly makes contact with their guy but it also seems that the first point of contact is their guy in him, he then falls and takes him out.

Edited by NottsRam77

16 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

This topic makes me laugh! 

A year ago we were questioning wether we’d have a club, now we are expecting instant success, and calling for a managers head who’s had x1 January window where his hands were tied. 

We were always going to struggle this season with the likes of Hourihane, Mendez Laing, Barkhausen, Forsyth (and the list goes on.) These players have all the experience in the world which helped us during Christmas, but the relentless nature of the division makes it incredibly difficult for these players to keep up. 

I remember watching Michael Johnson on sky when we played Portsmouth earlier in the year and he stated that a 10th place finish would be a success for the club. I agreed and still agree with him to be fair. 

We need a building period! It’s going to hurt and it’s going to take time, but the utter mess of the Morris tenure has taken us back 5 years. Paul Warne is the man to take us forward! He knows the division like the back of his hand and the whole setup of the club is built around sustainability and building for the future.

The short sightedness of fans has been apparent for years now and it seem the pantomime in the boardroom has spread into the terraces!

Let’s be grateful that we have a club, and let’s push the lads on to a playoff place! Up the Rams! 

The list of players you've given either all come from championship clubs or top-end league 1 clubs... so why on earth would that mean we'd always be likely to struggle? The fact is, Warne is playing a style that does not suit the players, and he's not rotated sufficiently. What we've now got is a self-inflicted wound. If we had stuck with a manager who played a more possession-based, slower-tempo game, then the players wouldn't be as tired, and we wouldn't be running out of legs in the 60th minute. 

Warne came in promising to be Mr Adaptable, and instead, we've got the David Brent of Rotherham on a 4-year deal with no exit strategy. Whether we like it or not, and I really don't, we are stuck with Warne for at least the next season and likely the one after. I'm not looking forward to next year in the slightest; the fundamental problem is that his teams aren't fun to watch. They're not dynamic, entertaining, or particularly systematic apart from 'cross into the box when we've flooded it with players, use the flanks plenty, and run lots'.

We should have been hiring the man with the vision and nous to take us back to the premier league, not just someone who can get us out of league 1. Given the size of the club and the budget, even in our crippled state, any half-decent manager could get us up within 2 or 3 years tops. This is why the Warne experiment will not be defined on if he can get us out of this league but on what shape he'll get us in to for the championship. 

If we wanted to play wing backs Warne should’ve experimented and tried different players when he had the opportunities, bare in mind we had 2 papa johns games under Warne, 5 fa cup fixtures, and plenty of home games when we’ve been 2+ goals up. We could’ve tried Knight there, Oduroh (think he played the city under 21’s game and 20 minutes v Torquay), even youngsters like Brailsford and Grewal-Pollard could’ve at least been tried, how are you meant to know if you never try? I’ve got a lot of gripes with Wayne Rooney but he was never afraid to throw a young player in, and more often than not I’d argue it paid off, we nearly stayed up from it. If you look at the games where we’ve played with a 3 we’ve actually been most successful playing a 3-4-3 with Smith and Sibley as wing backs and Collins up top, and Forsyth as the sweeper, Bird and Hourihane as the midfield 2, we were in good form doing that but it got binned and we’ve never seen it since.  

We all know we’ve got a small squad, but it hasn’t needed to be as small as it is, for example: why was Stretton sold In January after Osula had been recalled? You can argue he wasn’t good enough but he’d have been an extra body, played games for us at championship level and would’ve played much more last season if it wasn’t for injury. Why has Cybulski not been used at all? Instead he’s been farmed out on various loans in non league whilst we’ve got 2 strikers, one who’s more of a 10 anyway, at the very least he would’ve added some height we severely lack. Even young Dajaune Brown has been on the bench for the first team and clearly trains with the first team, he was heavily involved in the attacking drills at the open training session so clearly he’s on Warne’s radar, couldn’t he have had some minutes to give the two ageing strikers we’ve got a break, got a great record at under 18 level. Why has Stearman essentially retired after being heavily involved for the first two months? Including starting in back to back away clean sheets. Why has Liam Thompson barely kicked a ball after starting regularly in the championship last season? And then coming into the business end of the season and complaining about how ‘leggy’ the team is he’s allowed to go on loan to a national league side doomed for relegation, a loan that could never have gone well.

So yeah I feel for Warne due to the restrictions and the squad size, but he’s not completely innocent in this slide in form, there’s things he could’ve done which he’s chosen not to, and I believe by his own admission he turned a few players down in January due to feeling they weren’t good enough, something along those lines anyway, yet he decided to loan in Springett who barely featured, and when he did looked like a rabbit in the headlights.

Edited by JustOneBiblicalKazim

55 minutes ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

If we wanted to play wing backs Warne should’ve experimented and tried different players when he had the opportunities, bare in mind we had 2 papa johns games under Warne, 5 fa cup fixtures, and plenty of home games when we’ve been 2+ goals up. We could’ve tried Knight there, Oduroh (think he played the city under 21’s game and 20 minutes v Torquay), even youngsters like Brailsford and Grewal-Pollard could’ve at least been tried, how are you meant to know if you never try? I’ve got a lot of gripes with Wayne Rooney but he was never afraid to throw a young player in, and more often than not I’d argue it paid off, we nearly stayed up from it. If you look at the games where we’ve played with a 3 we’ve actually been most successful playing a 3-4-3 with Smith and Sibley as wing backs and Collins up top, and Forsyth as the sweeper, Bird and Hourihane as the midfield 2, we were in good form doing that but it got binned and we’ve never seen it since.  

We all know we’ve got a small squad, but it hasn’t needed to be as small as it is, for example: why was Stretton sold In January after Osula had been recalled? You can argue he wasn’t good enough but he’d have been an extra body, played games for us at championship level and would’ve played much more last season if it wasn’t for injury. Why has Cybulski not been used at all? Instead he’s been farmed out on various loans in non league whilst we’ve got 2 strikers, one who’s more of a 10 anyway, at the very least he would’ve added some height we severely lack. Even young Dajaune Brown has been on the bench for the first team and clearly trains with the first team, he was heavily involved in the attacking drills at the open training session so clearly he’s on Warne’s radar, couldn’t he have had some minutes to give the two ageing strikers we’ve got a break, got a great record at under 18 level. Why has Stearman essentially retired after being heavily involved for the first two months? Including starting in back to back away clean sheets. Why has Liam Thompson barely kicked a ball after starting regularly in the championship last season? And then coming into the business end of the season and complaining about how ‘leggy’ the team is he’s allowed to go on loan to a national league side doomed for relegation, a loan that could never have gone well.

So yeah I feel for Warne due to the restrictions and the squad size, but he’s not completely innocent in this slide in form, there’s things he could’ve done which he’s chosen not to, and I believe by his own admission he turned a few players down in January due to feeling they weren’t good enough, something along those lines anyway, yet he decided to loan in Springett who barely featured, and when he did looked like a rabbit in the headlights.

Apart from that he’s done alright. 😂