Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Thinking pragmatically, which players do people think this will benefit? 

I know a lot of people have aired the idea that this would work against Max Bird, but I actually think the opposite. Warne used Barlaser as their defensive central midfielder and essentially made him a key component in their team. I also think Knight and Cashin are likely to benefit. I'd imagine Dobbin will likely move to a striker position, alongside Collins/McGoldrick. Osula fits the type of striker that Rotherham have been very successful at implementing and the rumour was that Warne wanted him at Rotherham this season. 

Based on how he's had Rotherham line up in games (home and away) in both the latter part of last season, and this. I would imagine we will be playing something like - ignoring Wildsmith in goal: 

Davies
Chester                                           Cashin

The back three usually has one deep lying centre back, in their case Richard Wood - in ours most likely Curtis Davies. The other two centre backs play quite wide and quite a distance in front of Davies. This was true in all the ones I've seen from last season and this. I think Stearman, Roberts, Rooney and perhaps even Forsyth are likely to play and cover here behind the three above. 

Bird
Barkhuizen        Knight          Hourihane      Mendez-Laing

The central midfield three pivot around a central point, in their case Barlaser - in our case most likely Bird. Barlaser usually touches the ball more than any other Rotherham player. The other two central midfielders usually touch the ball between the 6-11th placed players in the team. I believe these are essentially used to reduce space and create opportunities. They're likely to gamble more than most. Knight for his energy will almost certainly be a permanent fixture in the team. Smith will probably sit behind him to cover. The lack of a number 10 probably means Sibley will be vying with Hourihane for game time. The wide two positions usually have a one more attacking than the other, therefore you could potentially see Barkhuizen/Mendez-Laing on one side with Roberts/Forsyth on the other - this will no doubt alternate based on a number of factors. 

Collins         McGoldrick

The front two are probably the easiest to call, with Collins and McGoldrick the likely first choice at this point. Dobbin will get a lot of opportunities in this position, possibly even Sibley too. Paul Warne wanted Osula at Rotherham too, reportedly, so perhaps look out for him. He usually likes the physical aspect in strikers, i.e. Ladapo, Kieffer Moore...etc. Not usually the most technically gifted footballers but disruptive. I don't think he walks straight into the team but definitely see some opportunities for him. 

All in all, I'm confident the team we put together in the summer actually complements the system that Warne has implemented at Rotherham. I believe the biggest shift will be in the likes of Bird, who will need to improve but can actually take huge strides in his career mirroring Barlaser who most would've said was an inferior player. I also think the system opens the door to Rooney, who I believe will eventually win a place in the team and based on what I've seen will hold it down.

The only other thing I noted, to no surprise, was how compact his teams play together. You can definitely see a well drilled team purely by looking at the data and aggregate player positions over the course of the game. 

Great post - only thing I would question is the wing backs…

Haven’t Barkhuizen and NML both said in interviews that they don’t want to play that position? I’m pretty sure TB said this in his first interview as a Ram. Wasn’t it part of the reason why he left Preston? And NML has been vocal about enjoying the attacking freedom under Rosenior. You’re not getting that freedom as a wing back.

I think they are the only two players who aren’t going to benefit from this change of manager, personally. 

Edited by Nuwtfly

2 minutes ago, Mr.Rafiki said:

we need results and be challenging for promotion

After 9 league games so far we are. With a completely brand new bunch of players its about as good as it gets.

Hopefully Warne can continue it and hopefully gradually improve, which is what we thought might happen with Rosenoir.

We have no right to go up this year (see Sheffy Wendy, Ipswich, Sunderland) so lets be patient, get behind the players and manager and sing louder when we are struggling in games. 

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Rooney would have got exactly the same treatment.

Calls for a more experienced manager with more of a grasp on what football in this league is all about.

Well, from the ones who hold every manager to the same standard.

Unfortunately our fanbase gets enamoured with failing managers with unworkable principles far too easily.

Some would be glad to see the likes of Cocu, Rooney and Rosenior still here and I find that honestly quite odd.

Roll on Cambridge and let’s see if Warne can deliver a ripper or two.

You'll be the first to slag him off if we lose two games on the bounce. ?

Style of football doesn’t bother me, particularly if we’re droning on about ‘attractive’ football

It doesn’t matter how it looks and I should be clear that the doesn’t mean defensive, scrappy 1-0’s are what get me out of bed in the morning

What you need to be truly successful and entertain the fans is to score loads of goals

If we do that with a team of lads all over 6’2 playing longball or with a bunch of Tom Carroll’s and Max Bird’s hogging 70% of possession every week, we’ll all bloody love it

A quick look at Rotherham’s league finishes under Warne shows they consistently scored more goals than the teams around them when they were promoted AND when they were relegated.

Big fan of Rosenior but never managing to get one of McGoldrick or Collins consistently starting and scoring is part of why he’s gone.

Don’t give a toss how anyone does it at this point, if Warne gets them scoring no one else will either 

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

You'll be the first to slag him off if we lose two games on the bounce. ?

First to slag him off? Rubbish. He’s not even put a framed photo of his wife and his dog on his desk and other people are writing him off.

I would describe his appointment as potentially shrewd and a potential answer to the obvious need for an experienced manager who knows the league. I am getting Billy Davies vibes.

I am interested to see what happens and I think we have to assess the situation at the end of the season.

If we are a long way off the play offs, of course Warne will come in for criticism and rightly so.

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

First to slag him off? Rubbish. He’s not even put a framed photo of his wife and his dog on his desk and other people are writing him off.

I would describe his appointment as potentially shrewd and a potential answer to the obvious need for an experienced manager who knows the league. I am getting Billy Davies vibes.

I am interested to see what happens and I think we have to assess the situation at the end of the season.

If we are a long way off the play offs, of course Warne will come in for criticism and rightly so.

Don’t post on the forum very often but when I’m on and something controversial is happening I always know your profile pic will be on show as the last poster.

Other poster is right, you’ll be the the first to post Warne out. Can’t wait to see it after 1 bad result 

26 minutes ago, Mr.Rafiki said:

1st post and watching / reading from a distance but If I was to hazard a wild wild  guess with no facts. One would assume this is to do with ownership (silent partner / funding) and/or sponsorship. 

A club that needs to attract high value sponsorship with a good chance of promotion cannot have a trainee manager nor matter how well LR communicated we need results and be challenging for promotion 

Hi Mike. One question, why bothet with those stupid large calculators?

19 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Great post - only thing I would question is the wing backs…

Haven’t Barkhuizen and NML both said in interviews that they don’t want to play that position? I’m pretty sure TB said this in his first interview as a Ram. Wasn’t it part of the reason why he left Preston? And NML has been vocal about enjoying the attacking freedom under Rosenior. You’re not getting that freedom as a wing back.

I think they are the only two players who aren’t going to benefit from this change of manager, personally. 

They aren't wing backs in Warne's system - in most of the games that I looked into more often than not one of the wingers would be in line with the strikers - number 10 (Norton-Cuffy) being the example here: 

image.png.4f3303507bdb5d08d95efda009106f92.png

Typically, though, like in this example there is a lag on the other side so would make sense for Roberts or Forsyth to hold that position. It's essentially an asymmetrical 4-3-3 - albeit extremely compact through midfield and attack. I would imagine that's how they're able to create so many good opportunities for how much possession they typically have.

17 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I honestly don't know how you have the audacity to question this!  With all due respect you've got to admit, in quite a competitive field , that you're one of the most 'impatient' posters on here (I'm avoiding using the word 'negative'...).  I think its very fair to assume that you will be on him like flies on poop after any poor result or performance. I'm not having a go at you about it; you're entitled to your opinion just like anybody else, but the original comment certainly is not 'rubbish' is it!?

Edited by LazloW

3 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

Don’t post on the forum very often but when I’m on and something controversial is happening I always know your profile pic will be on show as the last poster.

Other poster is right, you’ll be the the first to post Warne out. Can’t wait to see it after 1 bad result 

Such things are easy to say and then fade into the background. 

It’s also easy to paint someone as the bad guy for having an opinion and a mind of his own and being willing to defend his opinions.

We’ll see what happens, but I doubt you’ll be back to apologise if you are wrong, will you?

11 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It’s also easy to paint someone as the bad guy for having an opinion and a mind of his own and being willing to defend his opinions.

We’ll see what happens, but I doubt you’ll be back to apologise if you are wrong, will you?

Ok Mr Glass half empty. Enjoy your positive 10 days or so ?

edit: I’ve posted 210 times I reckon 170+ are to just tell people like you to stop being negative. 

I won’t need to apologise. You’ll find something to moan about 

Edited by Sidd10

8 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Since when has he been relegated from league one?

The official Twitter account wrote that 'our new boss has been promoted every season he's been in this division'.  Conveniently ignoring that he's been immediately relegated each time too.  It's a strange appointment - not awful, but lacking the potential that Liam might have had.

24 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I honestly don't know how you have the audacity to question this!  With all due respect you've got to admit, in quite a competitive field , that you're one of the most 'impatient' posters on here (I'm avoiding using the word 'negative'...).  I think its very fair to assume that you will be on him like flies on poop after any poor result or performance. I'm not having a go at you about it; you're entitled to your opinion just like anybody else, but the original comment certainly is not 'rubbish' is it!?

Not at all impatient and honestly not even negative. It seems people just love to put posters in boxes and then can’t see them as anything else.

It’s simple - in recent times it’s become very clear very quickly that we have made the wrong managerial appointments for the situation we’ve been in. See Cocu, Rooney and Rosenior.

I stuck my head above the parapet. I won’t apologise for having those opinions and tending to see it before others came around to that way of thinking.

This time I feel differently and I have been one of the few defending Warne and his prospects on here.

People have started writing Warne off and forecasting his ill fate at a time when the ink is not even dry on his contract. All that despite him seeming a reasonably, genuinely good fit for the job at hand.

Time will tell, but at the end of the day, I don’t see why I am being vilified when we all want the same thing - a winning football team.

Edited by Jourdan

7 minutes ago, Mrso said:

The official Twitter account wrote that 'our new boss has been promoted every season he's been in this division'.  Conveniently ignoring that he's been immediately relegated each time too.  It's a strange appointment - not awful, but lacking the potential that Liam might have had.

Cocu had potential and that worked out well.

10 minutes ago, Mrso said:

'lacking the potential Liam might have had' sums up your argument. We're looking for immediate promotion back to the championship, not to give a complete rookie the job based on hope, good vibes and sentimentality. 

24 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

So I’m not alone in thinking you’re one of the biggest whingers on here …never happy and face pops up to comment like clockwork every time there is a blip …I even thought you were a wummer at one stage such was your constant critisicm quick to criticise and yet don’t see you if we are doing well ….people seem to have the same opinion of you …funny that ??