Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

17 minutes ago, Mrso said:

There'd be animosity if they thought he was irreplaceable.  But he's a jobbing upper League 1 manager with a proven record of failure in the Championship.  It's hard for them to be sad; it's hard for us to be glad.

Not as hard as you think - I'm quite glad!

Just read Paul’s open letter to Millers fans . Seems a very genuine bloke , and did not discount a return in years to come . He has had a low expectation job for 6 years  at Rotherham. Now the pressure will be on. Rowett was one of our own and won games but has been slaughtered for his style of football. We are in a different position now. Lucky to have a club , it’s David who is calling the shots and we are just along for the ride.

1 minute ago, jimtastic56 said:

Just read Paul’s open letter to Millers fans . Seems a very genuine bloke , and did not discount a return in years to come . He has had a low expectation job for 6 years  at Rotherham. Now the pressure will be on. Rowett was one of our own and won games but has been slaughtered for his style of football. We are in a different position now. Lucky to have a club , it’s David who is calling the shots and we are just along for the ride.

Agree with you on everything there except possibly the last part; yes, Clowes is calling the shots, but if there is any suggestion that other chairmen (naming none in particular) were not, I'd have to dispute that. It's all down to the calls that are made though, and predecessors haven't fared so well. If Clowes knows his own mind that's a good start. 

Yes a different position because we are lucky to have a club. So the pressure is more on Warne here than it was at Rotherham, perhaps, but on a relative scale of Derby's recent history, I'd say it's still nowhere near as high as it was for (say) Rowett at the top end of the Championship. At the same time, the manner in which Warne finds the hotseat vacant here will tell him much about Clowes' expectations of him!

22 minutes ago, Mrso said:

There'd be animosity if they thought he was irreplaceable.  But he's a jobbing upper League 1 manager with a proven record of failure in the Championship.  It's hard for them to be sad; it's hard for us to be glad.

Don’t get the excitement about this appointment - he’s a lower league manager whose teams play a less refined version of Rowettball and whose tactical ‘nous’ is found out at Championship level every time. Poor from DC this, especially the 4 year contract.

3 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Don’t get the excitement about this appointment - he’s a lower league manager whose teams play a less refined version of Rowettball and whose tactical ‘nous’ is found out at Championship level every time. Poor from DC this, especially the 4 year contract.

'Found out at championship level.' He was Rotherham manager, look at what he was working with. A manager is only as good as his players. He got the best out of what he had at Rotherham and I expect him to do so here, doesn't necessarily mean we will be playing 'rowettball'

2 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Nine games does not a season make, but this year they appear to have lost one in nine, the only defeat to a top 6 club. They were not far off staying up, with a fairly rubbish squad, the year we sank like a stone under Rooney. 

Is "every time" a touch harsh?

4 minutes ago, Jayram said:

We're a lower league club. Sorry to break the news to you unless you've been in suspended animation for the last year. 

Unfortunately Tuchel and Parker declined the exciting opportunity to become our new manager. 

1 minute ago, jameso said:

Nine games does not a season make, but this year they appear to have lost one in nine, the only defeat to a top 6 club. They were not far off staying up, with a fairly rubbish squad, the year we sank like a stone under Rooney. 

Is "every time" a touch harsh?

It is harsh when no context is included. They consistently lose all their good players and don’t replace using any money. Their level is as a good league one team usually, with the a possibility of spells higher. Not sure what Warne’s supposed to do with the resources he’s given other than what he has. 

1 hour ago, falconram said:

No, MM got lucky, this guy like LP before have had to work hard to get were they are 

His Dad did all the hard work long before David joined the company. Not suggesting he isn’t a ‘good businessman’ but Clowes was established by Charles; David may be keeping up the good work, but he didn’t build the company from the ground up or anything like that. 

10 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

'Found out at championship level.' He was Rotherham manager, look at what he was working with. A manager is only as good as his players. He got the best out of what he had at Rotherham and I expect him to do so here, doesn't necessarily mean we will be playing 'rowettball'

This is an open question and not necessarily to you specifically; but has a manager who's played solely pragmatic ugly football with one club ever shifted to not doing that ? 

Because I've seen this argument time and time again, specifically with a few recent Derby managers. Rowett sticks to mind and Pearson to an extent where people argue "oh they alter there style to the personal", "oh that's just because they had a limited budget", "oh with more resources they'd have a team playing better stuff" or some variation there off. And yet every single time it ends up pretty much the same, just a better version of ugly. And outside of Derby there are countless other examples. I honestly feel like it's largely a myth and that a manager will most likely show the same ethos regardless of resources.

3 hours ago, Orphanram said:

One thought that has crossed my mind is if Liam had wind of us showing an interest in Warne prior to this week. In his post match interview he made a rather pointed comment about how committed he was in getting us to play a style of football that fits with the traditions of the club and what our fans expect. Was this a bit of a dig at what he knew might be coming?

Possibly. Dawes says he was tipped off on Saturday evening. Guessing that was while he was at the ground.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Think I need a commendation then as with this apparent severe impediment I've managed over 6,600 posts on this forum.

Or in fact it probably is that your post actually reads like that. 

I had only read it Tyler Durden's way to start with, but I can see it both ways now.

"At least LR would have done it with class and dignity..." (or words to that effect) meaning

a) (Unlike Warne), at least LR would have done it with class and dignity...

b) (Even had he failed), at least LR would have done it with class and dignity

Congratulations: you're both right. (Says the peacemaking grammar nerd anyway.)

1 minute ago, jameso said:

I had only read it Tyler Durden's way to start with, but I can see it both ways now.

"At least LR would have done it with class and dignity..." (or words to that effect) meaning

a) (Unlike Warne), at least LR would have done it with class and dignity...

b) (Even had he failed), at least LR would have done it with class and dignity

Congratulations: you're both right. (Says the peacemaking grammar nerd anyway.)

We have officially run out of things to argue about. This is bottom of the barrel

26 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I just hope he does better than Liam, ie a play off place at the very least. If he doesn’t questions will soon be asked about the appointment…..and gamble taken.