Morecambe v Derby (A) Matchday thread

Bwash_Ram

Not sure cancelling football was the right decision from the powers that be... we're still working as normal, other sporting events are still going ahead (as it stands) and other entertainment venues are still open?

It would be a much more fitting tribute to have hundreds of thousands of people paying their tributes in the stands in person either with a minutes silence or a rendition of 'God Save The Queen'... just my opinion, of course.

52 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

The good news folks is that tomorrow and Sunday cricket is on, rugby is on, golf is on, F1 is on and so is practically every other sport. But football? They’ve even cancelled kids games in Sunday….

ALL grass roots is cancelled.

34 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think fear has promoted cancellations.

Fear that unsavoury scenes of disrespect could be documented On broadcasted public events.

It’s the only logic I see behind the cancellations while other sectors of entertainment and normal life resumes as normal.

I was thinking the very same, but it doesn't explain cancelling grassroots football. Perhaps it's just the football authorities feeling that they're demonstrating some kind of 'moral' high ground for their sport?

3 hours ago, jameso said:

True but the test of whether something should or shouldn't happen isn't an evaluation of how often it typically happens, otherwise there'd be a strong case that committing treason and dropping the atomic bomb (for example) are also OK.

Postponing three matches - especially while other sports continue - would be beyond ridiculous and, even if that inconsistency weren't enough, would also surely not represent the wishes of many in the country, let alone most football fans

I wasn’t advocating it but it is a rare event 

2 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Not sure cancelling football was the right decision from the powers that be... we're still working as normal, other sporting events are still going ahead (as it stands) and other entertainment venues are still open?

It would be a much more fitting tribute to have hundreds of thousands of people paying their tributes in the stands in person either with a minutes silence or a rendition of 'God Save The Queen'... just my opinion, of course.

We can’t blame the Government on this one as it’s totally down to the EFL and Premiership and no doubt the FA 

Not sure what the big issue on here is about cancelling tomorrow's games.

It's not like the death of the reigning monarch is a daily occurrence is it.

If folks are moaning about having to miss one Saturdays worth of football every 96 years then they need to give their heads a wobble. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If folks are moaning about having to miss one Saturdays worth of football every 96 years then they need to give their heads a wobble. 

Head wobbled.

The big issue includes (but is not necessarily limited to):

The amount of notice combined with people having bought tickets, spent money, made plans generally

The fact that other sports are not cancelling their events

The idea that respect can only be shown in this way (the point immediately above suggests otherwise)

And, to repeat, the measure of whether something should happen is not how often it typically happens. If you were to apply that logic in every area of your life and things you are willing to accept without even a murmur of complaint, I would be surprised if you still think that way.  

35 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Why post about something that doesn’t affect you in the slightest.

5 hours ago, Foreveram said:

So now we are looking at potentially postponing games against Morecambe, Lincoln,Wycombe and Cheltenham and that’s before we get to the winter with lots of grounds that don’t have undersoil heating.

If that's the case, it's totally ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

The majority of people have been to work today, millions of us in factories, shops, offices etc. My factory was especially busy today, we had a customer audit so everyone was on tenterhooks with senior management buzzing around. So normal, stressful day at work for the vast majority of people. 

I'm not sure there is much point in cancelling sport, perhaps on the day of the funeral, but not sure what benefit is to be had from this weekend being shut down when everyone is at work as normal.

Makes more sense to promote good sportsmanship and tell fans not to wear team shirts..but red white and blue etc. Have 2 mins applause and play the national anthem.

As for grassroots my amateur team were due to play their first league game. Someone suggested in the WhatsApp group that we contact the team we were playing and say we cant play it as an official match but we could go ahead as a friendly. Their manager said 'good idea' and all 16 players on our team immediately said they would play if allowed.   My kid's team's game has been cancelled but they are allowed to 'train' on the pitch if they want.... 16 out of 18 said they will train (2 are out for the day), not one person said it was disrespectful.

FA have massively misjudged this in my opinion.  Make all the live games free to air....have massive celebrations and celebrate how great she was. Bizarre decision for me.

Edited by Chester40