Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

As Rosenior would tell you, it's not about picking the best starting 11 it's about picking the best 16/18 and understanding how each player fits the overall plan to win the game.

Sibley may be gutted not to start, but McGoldrick may offer something in this game against this opposition that Sibley wouldn't. Alternatively Sibley buys into the overall plan and for the game and actually isn't gutted at all, and  having gained some form and confidence from his recent performances will be subbed on against a tiring defence, full of confidence and drive should the game be calling out for that.

If you think about it from the opposing side's view, an in form Sibley & Dobbin coming on for the last half hour is not something they'll relish, nor is having to deal with McGoldrick's skill and NML's pace all game.

Edited by Kokosnuss

There are good arguments for starting all 5 of the winger/attacking midfielders, and we can only really start 3.  Barkuizen was probably our best attacker last weekend. McGoldrick made a big difference when he came on and scored the winner.  NML is our joint top scorer, and scored and got an assist mid-week.  It’s harsh not to start any of those guys either.

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Despicable decision by Rosenior to drop our joint top scorer and the player that makes the whole system work. Hope I'm wrong but with Louie unfairly consigned to the bench, fully expect it'll be another case of Derby nil.

I think I'm the only same level Sibley fan boy at this forum, but I don't mind McGoldrick to start. Two of our biggest attacking threats playing the same position, I'm fine as long as either one starts. 

Harsh on Sibbo for sure, I'm expecting him to get a 30 mins. Also, it's important to her McGoldrick match fit as well need them both fit and firing.

Think the idea that a player being dropped from the starting XI and taking it badly is pretty outdated tbh, like they're all mardy little children who can't handle the idea that it's a team game and they may not always start.

Being dropped from the squad or constantly being played out of position when you do get a chance and then your lack of performance being blamed on you, yes, but used correctly as part of the squad, subbed on in your correct position, fresh and full of vigour and confidence, totally different ball game.

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Despicable decision by Rosenior to drop our joint top scorer and the player that makes the whole system work. Hope I'm wrong but with Louie unfairly consigned to the bench, fully expect it'll be another case of Derby nil.

Funny, I thought it was McGoldrick who made the whole system work against Peterborough, and played a quite brilliant cameo on Tuesday. Fitting both of them in might be a problem, because perhaps playing McGoldrick up against L1 central defenders could be quite risky, as we're managing his fitness? 

24 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Funny, I thought it was McGoldrick who made the whole system work against Peterborough, and played a quite brilliant cameo on Tuesday. Fitting both of them in might be a problem, because perhaps playing McGoldrick up against L1 central defenders could be quite risky, as we're managing his fitness? 

Yep can definitely see why we would want to start McGoldrick, he has the potential to turn what looks to be a tight game in our favour.

That said so does Sibley, would be great to have them both on, but we’d have to completely change the shape, unless you play McGoldrick as lone striker which as you say he may not have the legs for, given the amount of work Collins gets through for our system.

Its just a shame two of our big impact players play the same/very similar positions.

Edited by Ramarena