Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

2 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

The only things i remember about the away game is they battered us and had a shot that hit both posts and came out. Thought then our luck was in and we would win the replay...........................that didn't end well ?

Totally agree Reggie…..the stick I got living in Cornwall after the home defeat from Argyle fans was not a pleasant experience ?

3 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Think it was 83-84 season - was the one when relegated to where we are now. Sorry hopeless on seasons!!

It was as I remember shivering on the Essex coast near Colchester watching the replay on BBC 1.

We had Kenny burns Roy mac and Dave Watson playing for us. 

It gave rise to a memorable line in the newspaper report the next day "... You could almost hear the bones creaking in the Derby defence..." 

?

24 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Collins will score mate. He's played well and it's coming.

Steve Howard took 7 games to bag. 

Beg to differ on him playing well, but I hope you’re right. Still doesn’t mean I wouldn’t drop him if we had another option. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It was as I remember shivering on the Essex coast near Colchester watching the replay on BBC 1.

We had Kenny burns Roy mac and Dave Watson playing for us. 

It gave rise to a memorable line in the newspaper report the next day "... You could almost hear the bones creaking in the Derby defence..." 

?

Do you mean the highlights? 

Wildsmith

Knight Stearman Cashin Forsyth

Bird Hourihane 

Dobbin Sibley Barkhuizen

McGoldrick

Not been hugely impressed by Roberts so far, not sure converting him to full back is going to work. Just doesn’t look comfortable out wide. Get Forsyth back in there, someone who knows how to play that role. Was very disappointed with Bird against Peterborough, he was very lax on the ball and gave away possession a lot. To be honest, he’s not been involved enough in all games so far, so if Smith was fit I’d have probably dropped him to give him a kick up the arse a bit, and give us more presence in midfield. Bird was much better against Grimsby though, so hopefully he picks up now. McGoldrick has to come in for Collins imo. Enough is enough with his lack of goals - it’s not just that either, he looks like he’s running through treacle most the time and doesn’t get on the ball anywhere near enough. He needs a break - McGoldrick made a huge difference when he came in against Peterborough, actually linking the attack together.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

When Davies and Chester are both fit I honestly can't see Stearman getting in the squad ?.

Stearman would have been aware of that when he signed his contract. Even last season when one of only 3 CBs he was limited to just 14 appearances. He's a clear 4th choice now and will have exceeded his expected playing time by the time Davies is ready to return to the team.

14 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

And young Dave Watson came on and played upfront ?

13 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Indeed he did. 

13 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

BBG game Taylor subbed Bobby D and put Watson on up front. Can remember doing my nut at the time 

"And Dave Watson is a giraffe"

I was listening on the wireless at home and Graham Richards was doing his nut in. One of the most miserable nights in Rams history wondering if we were going to fold, but the hope of money from the cup run to keep us going. Then conceding direct from a corner that went straight in past Steve Cherry to lose at home against lower league opposition. And Peter Taylor takes Bobby off for an elderly defender. IIRC Graham wasn't happy either and went into a tirade about everything that was going wrong, ending with the giraffe remark.

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

When Davies and Chester are both fit I honestly can't see Stearman getting in the squad ?.

It’s a long season - it’s hard to keep track of how many competitions we are in - and it’s quite likely Curtis will need back up. As we have seen.
I think Stearman is more effective than many make out (possibly because with the ball at his feet he often looks like he’s wearing prosthetics).
All our senior players need game time so they can provide effective injury cover 

On 01/09/2022 at 13:13, CBRammette said:

Yes I remember the horrendous journey there for the FACup in the 80s on a really dirty tatty football special train then marched up hill by police then shoved in ground when no room until got to front. Remember as quite scary but I was only young at time so it perhaps wasnt or I was a wuss! Then they beat us with a terrible goal straight from corner in the replay. 

I remember it well,talk about herding cattle,could not get a drink for about3 hours,then only thing left on train was warm Guinness 

I remember going to Plymouth for the FA cup game and afterwards we were sitting on our coach when a Plymouth lad picked up a brick and somehow managed to throw it in between 2 Derby coaches that were about 2 feet apart, he then proceeded to fall under the coach which ran over his leg. Never laughed so much in my life.

Edited by derbydave1965