Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Grimsby Town (30/08 19:00)

Ghost of Clough

On 29/08/2022 at 07:44, Caerphilly Ram said:

I feel like Collins should start, he needs a goal for his confidence and may stand a chance of grabbing one against these. Play Dobbin and Sibley close to him, maybe with Knight on the right, pretty much the side that played against West Brom with Collins in for McGoldrick up top. Or if he’s ok following his family issues NML on the right as he will have fresh legs after missing a couple of games and Knight can be rested.

If Collins scores we will do “The Conga” in the East stand followed by “Mexican Waves”. Looking forward to it?

1 hour ago, Montezuma said:

Just had a quick look at the format and rules for this competition (which, like many Derby fans I imagine, I have no familiarity with). Thing that caught my eye was that draws in the group stages go straight to penalties - the winner receives two points and the loser one. Quite like that rule!

Anyway, we might as well go for this - by which I mean play above the bare minimum number of first teamers. We can worry about fixture congestion and injury pileup later - we'll be out some of these cups soon anyway I'm sure. I think Collins has played well so far, but getting a goal always helps and this is an opportunity for an 'easy' one. 

You're off my Christmas Card list for not reading my post ?

On 28/08/2022 at 18:51, Ghost of Clough said:

Our only prior experience in the competition was the U23s in 2016. That time, we lost two games and lost the other on penalties (if scores are level after 90 minutes, a penalty shootout takes place, with the winner earning an extra point).

I know there isn’t much at risk so I’m not feeling my usual pre match mix of angst and hope. 
Still got some mental churning. Will it be tatty and messy ? Will we be embarrassed ?  Will we just nick it or get done by a sucker ? Or … and this is really what it’s about, will the boys do a good one and get a real marker of a win so we can fill our boots with bulging nets. I spend way to much mental energy hoping for one of those days and end up just getting a “normal” result ?