Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

14 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

LR after match interview re. Sibley. Says he’s got a big part to play. Feels he’s effective being used against a tiring team (after 60 mins) when the game gets stretched. 

Well at least he isn’t bringing Sibley on when we’ve already lost the match any more!

Which sounds good, because we are defending better and picking up points, but whether it is good for Sibley, or just “same old, same old” for him I don’t know.

I think it is okay to appreciate where we are as a club, to be relieved about that, to appreciate the difficulties getting a squad together, but still to feel a little frustrated with the results so far.

I largely enjoyed the game because I didn't think Fleetwood would hold out the entire 90, but they did. I am pleased that teams do appear to be thinking we are one of their cup-finals, it's flattering, but the defending we have seen in the last two games has been especially heroic.

If I have a small criticism, it's when we do something time and again when it doesn't appear to be working. Corners are a good example. I don't think we won one in the air. Yet it took until the 80 something minute for Hourihane to play the cut back to Sibley instead. He'd stood unmarked for the previous two corners, didn't get the ball, then was given it at the one corner he had a man on him. 

Similarly with Liam's decision making. Collins wasn't getting any change from their defence,  Dobbin was. Yet he brings off Dobbin to put Sibley on. Well, technically he brought off Barkhuizen, but you know what I mean. An extra player who could run at players would have been better than retaining a centre forward who by then was getting nowhere near the ball. 

Small niggles in the overall scheme of things, and I am sure we will play much worse in games than yesterday and win.

But scoring is a habit, we need to do everything we can to get into this habit before the mould is set for the season. 

10 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

That's fair enough, and I complety agree that nothing should be beyond criticism. I apologise for the belligerent tone initially. I suppose I just find myself frustrated at the expectations of some fans given our recent turmoil. It's going to take a while to turn this ship around. In the mean time we should all just try to enjoy the ride and be thankful we have a club to support.

This ship has turned around, It's heading in the right direction, The blanks from our guns will soon be replaced by real ammunition, Then watch out...BOOM! 

22 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I was at Belper Town yesterday and kept looking at our score, HT 17 shots, FT 27 shots(I may be clouded by beer)gobsmacked that so many efforts didn't result in a goal.

Looking at some of the posters reports and the BBC report it sounded a good time to be at the Alamo, Shot peppered at the goal, Shots blocked by their players, Shots blocked by our player, Shots saved by their keeper, I mean what is the SIGNIFICANT FACTOR? I don't see one other than NO GOALS in those games.

I would very much doubt our players missed on purpose, I know the goals weren't moved, A lack of confidence...no! as they were there to shoot, Left their shooting boots in the changing room, No! they had them on...so what is the SIGNIFICANT FACTOR...luck or lack of, Plain and simple, In each of those 3 games if we score 1st it opens the other team up and creates more space for us to utilise.

It will come good of this I am sure, And when it does the negativity, The frustrated, The disappointed posters will have a change of tune.

COYRs 

No they won’t, they’ll just stay silent.

20 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I was at Belper Town yesterday and kept looking at our score, HT 17 shots, FT 27 shots(I may be clouded by beer)gobsmacked that so many efforts didn't result in a goal.

Looking at some of the posters reports and the BBC report it sounded a good time to be at the Alamo, Shot peppered at the goal, Shots blocked by their players, Shots blocked by our player, Shots saved by their keeper, I mean what is the SIGNIFICANT FACTOR? I don't see one other than NO GOALS in those games.

I would very much doubt our players missed on purpose, I know the goals weren't moved, A lack of confidence...no! as they were there to shoot, Left their shooting boots in the changing room, No! they had them on...so what is the SIGNIFICANT FACTOR...luck or lack of, Plain and simple, In each of those 3 games if we score 1st it opens the other team up and creates more space for us to utilise.

It will come good of this I am sure, And when it does the negativity, The frustrated, The disappointed posters will have a change of tune.

COYRs 

I look at the evidence and then form a conclusion.  Derby County have struggled to score goals for 3 seasons now. Perhaps the remarkable stats of the last 3 away games are just an unlucky fluke based on a number of factors or maybe there’s a more palpable reason. I just look at the logical possibilities and flag the most likely, based on evidence.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I haven't seen anyone advocate getting rid of LR?

Happy clappers was used as a phrase by myself as the opposite to the group of posters you describe and that caused extreme upset by one forum member in particular, guess they won't be attacking your description with such vigour though or indeed at all as that's OK to use and it fits with their narrative which totally devalues the point they were trying to make in their incoherent diatribe. 

I've seen two posters openly call for him to go...Silko & CSS. Then there are others who are have said even at this point, the football & results won't improve...doesnt take a genius to work out where that summary is taking them. That isnt just criticising yesterday's match/tactics/finishing etc. Then compare both positions to our league & cup record so far of P6 W3 D2 L1 with 4 of those games being away from home.

I predicted two defeats this week. Two agricultural, physical sides away in tight confined grounds, fixtures in which we have historically struggled. Instead, we not only dealt with their threat but dominated them. We're all frustrated we couldnt score in either match but a deserved late goal in both games & we'd be 3rd, a point off the top.

Don't confuse my stance with a lack of ambition by the way. I want Derby to get out League One asap but also recognise its a long slog, a process of gradual improvement & that ultimate judgements can not possibly be made until well into the season. We are well ahead of where I thought we'd be at this point.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

I look at the evidence and then form a conclusion.  Derby County have struggled to score goals for 3 seasons now. Perhaps the remarkable stats of the last 3 away games are just an unlucky fluke based on a number of factors or maybe there’s a more palpable reason. I just look at the logical possibilities and flag the most likely, based on evidence.

I would love to see or hear if there is a more PALPABLE REASON, If I had a Gatling Gun and shot at a static targeted enemy and missed with every bullet...I'd be Court Martialled for being a rubbish soldier.

Some Managers are good at finding that player who scores 20-30 goals a season, Some Managers are lucky, We've a Manager who's had to build from the bottom up...it's bloody damn hard, When the chances dry up away from home...I hope DCFC bring on their club Vicar as there may have to be some divine intervention 

6 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I would love to see or hear if there is a more PALPABLE REASON, If I had a Gatling Gun and shot at a static targeted enemy and missed with every bullet...I'd be Court Martialled for being a rubbish soldier.

Some Managers are good at finding that player who scores 20-30 goals a season, Some Managers are lucky, We've a Manager who's had to build from the bottom up...it's bloody damn hard, When the chances dry up away from home...I hope DCFC bring on their club Vicar as there may have to be some divine intervention 

It’s intriguing @Unlucky Alf. We’re at home to Peterborough next week. They won 4-0 yesterday and a chap we paid £3m for then released for nothing scored 2.

How many will we put past them? Will they {he} score against us? 
What if we don’t score any again? Statistically it’s unlikely that we won’t score - so all very intriguing. 

8 shots on target is more than the total number of shots in previous seasons - sometimes over 2 or 3 games. That is a huge improvement! And 27 shots in all means the team has started wanting to shoot instead of pass the ball into the net.

Perhaps all it needs is for us to take a chance when a shooting opportunity comes up. At the moment we take an extra touch, or wait for the ball to bounce first. Why not just wellie it and see what happens? A case in point was Jason Knight who took an extra shuffle before clouting the ball which allowed the defender to move in and put in a block. A split second sooner and the defender wouldn’t have been in position.

Fine margins, which hopefully we are moving towards. 

Not many have mentioned the ref this time. He was ok for much of the time but obviously not up to full-match reffdom fitness and seemed to build himself up into peaks of crass decisions. Dobbin was absolutely clattered 3 times and didn’t get a single free kick, let alone a card fir the offender, with one if them being a possible red. That could have changed the game. He had never officiated for a DCFC match before, but had done 27 matches with (for?) Fleetwood, which makes him almost family! Complainung about that clear incompetence (or bias) got Hourihane booked, and he is quite right about getting at the ref - ALL the other teams do it. Admittedly there wasn’t a match changing decision, although a free kick dead centre on the edge of the box could have made a difference.

But in the end we are making progress, even compared with last week, as we were much more direct with our playing it out from the back, and the willingness to shoot.

Long may it continue ……. and bear fruit!

9 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I never discounted that possibility- just suggested a rational reason based on evidence for our lack of goals rather than just saying “we’ve been unlucky”. 

You won't convince people on here regarding "luck". They believe in magic spells, witches and dragons as well.

There is no super natural force called luck. Our lack of scoring abilty is entirely down to the current deficiencies of our team.

48 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Freaks And Geeks Nerd GIF

53 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You could always watch the game to form a conclusion, just saying.

just watched the highlights, I know it dosnt give you the full picture, but their goalkeeper had the game of his life. Derby went for it and on another day would have been out of sight. Couldnt see if the ball went over the line, would have to accept the refs decision

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I think it is okay to appreciate where we are as a club, to be relieved about that, to appreciate the difficulties getting a squad together, but still to feel a little frustrated with the results so far.

I largely enjoyed the game because I didn't think Fleetwood would hold out the entire 90, but they did. I am pleased that teams do appear to be thinking we are one of their cup-finals, it's flattering, but the defending we have seen in the last two games has been especially heroic.

If I have a small criticism, it's when we do something time and again when it doesn't appear to be working. Corners are a good example. I don't think we won one in the air. Yet it took until the 80 something minute for Hourihane to play the cut back to Sibley instead. He'd stood unmarked for the previous two corners, didn't get the ball, then was given it at the one corner he had a man on him. 

Similarly with Liam's decision making. Collins wasn't getting any change from their defence,  Dobbin was. Yet he brings off Dobbin to put Sibley on. Well, technically he brought off Barkhuizen, but you know what I mean. An extra player who could run at players would have been better than retaining a centre forward who by then was getting nowhere near the ball. 

Small niggles in the overall scheme of things, and I am sure we will play much worse in games than yesterday and win.

But scoring is a habit, we need to do everything we can to get into this habit before the mould is set for the season. 

He took Dobbin off as he was being kicked from pillar to post, 'I needed to protect Dobbin as the ref wouldn't'

My biggest frustrations were hardly winning any headers, we are missing Davies, and twice in 5 minutes Sibley and NML could have put each other through for a 1 on 1 run from the halfway line and both took an extra touch.