Liam Rosenior

Whilst Rosenior/his team recruited well (with the exception of RB), i think we all agree results haven’t been great so I can’t understand why the statement can be seen as anything other than good news: we improve and make LR’s position permanent or continue with sub-par performances for a couple of months and change direction

33 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

As for xG, like all statistics, it's a number. The devil is "what does that number tell you" - and xG tells you less than actual scores and points earned. But it doesn't tell you nothing, nor does it tell you everything, it is, just a number.

I think the xG from this season to last season does tell us that the poor away form isn’t linked. Last year we barely created a chance or got in the opposition half away from home. This season we are creating chances but we’re not being clinical at the moment. If we creating big chances we’re giving ourselves greater possibilities of results, not creating chances means theres a bigger problem as poor form will likely be the norm. Eventually law of averages would would suggest we take our chances and results will improve. However at some point we need to start taking our chances or we risk becoming league one’s West Brom who should’ve been top 2 last season and so far this season according to xG but are nowhere near it.

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Who also looked out of his depth against Mansfield. It’s a risk. He is a long term signing no question not one for now.

And a midfielder at fullback isn't a risk - at fault for the penalty last match? Plus playing one of our best players out of position, what does that say to him and how does he take the 'stalling' of his development?

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Who also looked out of his depth against Mansfield. It’s a risk. He is a long term signing no question not one for now.

Knight in midfield offers more than what we might lose with a young rb! Wasting Knight at the moment. He more than deserves a long run in midfied, not shoved at rb, not playing in the wing.

There remains nothing wrong with Knight playing RB in and of itself, he's not the first RB in the world to be turned by an attacker and for them to fall over at the slightest touch while he's running alongside them to recover and he won't be the last.

He's been asked about the role and seems comfortable with it, no real sign if any at all of being unhappy about his development by being played there.

It isn't stopping him having chances to score, had another good one against Lincoln saved by the keeper. It doesn't totally remove him from CM as his inverted role means he does get the ball there from time to time, but yes, not enough.

I think there are certain sections of our support who've simply decided that Knight playing RB is BAD and are seeing whatever it is they want to see to back up their opinion. Lincoln was the first game he's had an overall under-par performance in and predictably it's been jumped on as ultimate proof that it's a terrible idea despite there being  more evidence to the contrary.

It does take something out of our midfield, but that's more a problem with the midfield itself. Despite the issues we're still getting more than enough chances to have won every one of our games this season, but for a combination of poor finishing and, if not poor finishing, the luck of the bounce with poor officials and borderline decisions.

There is a concern we don't dominate midfield which is fair in some games against the better teams, but there have been others where we've overwhelmed the opposition with our possession, and missed some good chances, we're probably 5 or 6 points away from where we should be.

I've forgotten what wider point I was making here now tbh, think I've typed too much of a ramble already and don't think I've being covering the counterpoints to my argument very well ..  I am a bit hungover tbf and a couple of pints in to today's pre match session.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think the xG from this season to last season does tell us that the poor away form isn’t linked. Last year we barely created a chance or got in the opposition half away from home. This season we are creating chances but we’re not being clinical at the moment. If we creating big chances we’re giving ourselves greater possibilities of results, not creating chances means theres a bigger problem as poor form will likely be the norm. Eventually law of averages would would suggest we take our chances and results will improve. However at some point we need to start taking our chances or we risk becoming league one’s West Brom who should’ve been top 2 last season and so far this season according to xG but are nowhere near it.

That a well reasoned interpretation. I'm inclined to agree with it ?