Liam Rosenior

5 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

That tactician we lost doesn't seem to be doing very well, W1 D3 L6 since WR has been DCs Manager, Not sure when he took up the role tho?‍♀️

It's not about him.

As a club, we could use a Senior assistant manager and potentially a tactician supporting the club's strategy for games.

It's a shame we can't get someone like marcelo Bielsa as manager. It obvious wouldn't happen but I'm just not sure risking it all on rosenoir is the right approach.

He probably was the best option at the time, given the summer window to rebuild the club.

In the last game why didn't we switch to 451 or 532 and defend the lead.

6 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

The problem for Rosenior is he comes with the baggage of the last few seasons, we see all the hallmarks of what has gone before and fans will be less patient than they perhaps should be. But if we keep seeing Knight at rb I fear this won't end well.

Yep, I think he should have taken the Blackpool job.

We've now gone past the stage of being happy that we still have our club. How long is the happy stage supposed to last?

We shouldn't just be happy to still be alive and breathing. We should be striving for a whole lot more and when you see our stats, they are for grim reading. 

The home support will start to dwindle and the rot then starts to set in. 

I don't think we have any structure around the management set up and something needs to change and quickly. Coaches have been placed into roles out of necesity but this needs be looked at to see if or how it's working. 

We had a great view in the away end last night and was easy to see what was going wrong . Tippy-tappy around at the back until our goalie has to hoof the ball under enormous pressure. I think the idea is that while we take risks at the back ,Bird will find space to start moves off.The only trouble is he won’t move around enough.The bad results away from home go back a long way now, Liam has to look at it.

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

We had a great view in the away end last night and was easy to see what was going wrong . Tippy-tappy around at the back until our goalie has to hoof the ball under enormous pressure. I think the idea is that while we take risks at the back ,Bird will find space to start moves off.The only trouble is he won’t move around enough.The bad results away from home go back a long way now, Liam has to look at it.

Absolutely spot on - to me the only productive balls we have played in the past two seasons from our goalkeeper have been knocking it to Forsyth on the halfway line who wins about 70% it seems to me, and we are advancing on the opponents goal while  they are backpedaling - simple stuff and you don’t hand over easy opportunities to the opponent which we are doing repeatedly 

27 minutes ago, Oldben said:

It's not about him.

As a club, we could use a Senior assistant manager and potentially a tactician supporting the club's strategy for games.

It's a shame we can't get someone like marcelo Bielsa as manager. It obvious wouldn't happen but I'm just not sure risking it all on rosenoir is the right approach.

He probably was the best option at the time, given the summer window to rebuild the club.

In the last game why didn't we switch to 451 or 532 and defend the lead.

I was happy with his appointment as interim, I'm on record here to say he should be given the job, Reading posts from yesterdays game and the result/performance I'm leaning towards a new broom, Not to sweep clean as there's a decent team there, The method/style of play for the last 3 seasons is the same, Teams have worked this method and adapted, LR it would appear has one way of playing, Can't or wont change direction and as he admitted after the game...he's learning about his players and it's not how we play as we're creating chances, It's how we finish off those chances which is concerning to some.

Saturday is a big game nothing but a win will help all who'll be there.

Its not the tactics or the playing out from the back. That is done to control the game, which predominently we do. The problem is our forward players, all of them. Currently they seem unable to make the final pass or beat the final man or shoot on target. I have hope they will shape up but the clock is ticking. 

For those who seem angry, please direct it where its due.

21 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Its not the tactics or the playing out from the back. That is done to control the game, which predominently we do. The problem is our forward players, all of them. Currently they seem unable to make the final pass or beat the final man or shoot on target. I have hope they will shape up but the clock is ticking. 

For those who seem angry, please direct it where its due.

That is a problem, but it is not the problem. Another problem is a totally ineffective midfield with insufficient energy/combativeness. 

The only position that is not (usually) a problem in terms of doing what they're meant to do is defence, i.e. defending! (Knight's challenge for the penalty being an exception, obviously).

A few weeks ago we had two major problems:

- Fitness problems due to a squad being bought together last minute and starting pre-season late. 

- Awful midfield blend, Bird and Hourihane does not work, especially away from home, opposition teams are exploiting this weakness. 

Fast forward to today, the first problem shouldn't be such an issue anymore and the second issue is becoming even more apparent as teams know it's our weak point. 

We can also add in a third issue that's developing. We aren't adaptable in our approach to games, yes we have a footballing philosophy and that's good, but we seem to rigidly stuck in it. It does not seem to be working against a number of the teams we come up against. They seem happy to sit back let us have the ball and then punish us, wait for us to make a mistake, which we inevitably do given the pressure we put upon our defence/keeper. 

Time to look at the midfield and get the blend right, which means bringing in Knight at the moment and Smith when fit, it also could mean dropping one of Bird or Hourihane, whilst certainly look at changing the shape of the midfield, then work from there. 

Since Cocu i have been disappointed in the style of play employed.  It appeared to me that Cocu was used to playing a possession football and had decided to employ that tactic, regardless of the realities of English lower leagues where mixing it up is more or less essential.  i find it frustrating and amazing that talented intelligent managers don't do their homework at a new club. 

Instead of learning from earlier mistakes, we continue to attempt to use a possession tactic, even in League 1.  There is no virtue in a football philosophy that doesn't work with the men that you have in the league you are competing in and it should not be stubbornly clung to.

Edited by ramit
typo

3 hours ago, Ramarena said:

A few weeks ago we had two major problems:

- Fitness problems due to a squad being bought together last minute and starting pre-season late. 

- Awful midfield blend, Bird and Hourihane does not work, especially away from home, opposition teams are exploiting this weakness. 

Fast forward to today, the first problem shouldn't be such an issue anymore and the second issue is becoming even more apparent as teams know it's our weak point. 

We can also add in a third issue that's developing. We aren't adaptable in our approach to games, yes we have a footballing philosophy and that's good, but we seem to rigidly stuck in it. It does not seem to be working against a number of the teams we come up against. They seem happy to sit back let us have the ball and then punish us, wait for us to make a mistake, which we inevitably do given the pressure we put upon our defence/keeper. 

Time to look at the midfield and get the blend right, which means bringing in Knight at the moment and Smith when fit, it also could mean dropping one of Bird or Hourihane, whilst certainly look at changing the shape of the midfield, then work from there. 

I agree with the majority of what you say. Last night though, Lincoln didn’t sit back. They pressed well onto our full backs, Bird/Hourihane and NML. We couldn’t cope with it. 

I’m happy to persist with the passing/patient approach, but it requires a runner from midfield. A Bryson if you will. Or maybe a Knight!! I think it’s a dangerous game if fans want us to go direct. We were pretty direct at times yesterday and it was awful. It also relies on movement from the midfield 2. Movement needs to be better from Bird/Hourihane. They are too static. Again, I’m surprised with Bird on this. He is comfortable receiving the ball under pressure and can break the lines/press well. But he’s not doing it for whatever reason. We then become predictable relying on NML. He was off it at times and we’re done for.

Last night was very poor. Things need to improve, but I’d focus on personnel and balance before changing a complete philosophy. People harp on about ‘Plan B’. If Plan A is good enough we won’t need one. That should be the focus. 

Changing the manager isn’t the answer.  Let’s not forget, the hiring and firing of managers on a whim, paying compensation, no clear strategy, changes in playing style and personnel are part of the reason we’re in L1.  What we need is a period of stability and a long term plan.

Rosenior is learning and we need to accept that.  That means we’re going to have lots of ups and downs.

That doesn’t mean I don’t think he should change things a bit.  I agree with those who say Bird and Hourihane can’t play together.  They’re too similar and sometimes it looks as if they’re a bit confused.  Neither is really a tackler, nor do that have lots of energy getting up and down the pitch.  I don’t think we’ve replaced Shinnie.  Someone to inject a bit of life into the team and gee everyone a bit, make a full blooded tackle - that’s what other teams have in this division.  We either move Knight into midfield, and he’d certainly give a bit of energy, or bring Rooney in.  Rooney would also offer more protection for the defence.  I think we need a bit of that as we get exposed when the full backs have pushed forward.

I don’t think it matters which one of Bird or Hourihane is dropped, both are out of sorts.  Or, drop both, play Knight and Rooney in there and give us some energy.

Just now, FlyBritishMidland said:

Changing the manager isn’t the answer.  Let’s not forget, the hiring and firing of managers on a whim, paying compensation, no clear strategy, changes in playing style and personnel are part of the reason we’re in L1.  What we need is a period of stability and a long term plan.

There's a difference between firing managers on a 'Mel whim' and doing it because it doesn't seem to be the right choice.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

There's a difference between firing managers on a 'Mel whim' and doing it because it doesn't seem to be the right choice.

But isn’t that the same thing?  MM fired on a whim because he believed he’d made the wrong choice after seeing a poor run of form and that there were better options out there.

1 minute ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

But isn’t that the same thing?  MM fired on a whim because he believed he’d made the wrong choice after seeing a poor run of form and that there were better options out there.

We waited 5 long seasons/years for Clough Jnr to come good...

Edited by RoyMac5

6 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

We've now gone past the stage of being happy that we still have our club. How long is the happy stage supposed to last?

We shouldn't just be happy to still be alive and breathing. We should be striving for a whole lot more and when you see our stats, they are for grim reading. 

The home support will start to dwindle and the rot then starts to set in. 

I don't think we have any structure around the management set up and something needs to change and quickly. Coaches have been placed into roles out of necesity but this needs be looked at to see if or how it's working. 

i will count my blessings till the day i die that we still have our great football club , the reaction of some fans after last nights game is frankly disgusting , the scapegoating of the manager and a fair few of the players is appalling , 8 games thats all weve had and already the knives are out , a lot odf Rams fans out there dont deserve a club

12 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I don’t think we’ve replaced Shinnie.  Someone to inject a bit of life into the team and gee everyone a bit, make a full blooded tackle - that’s what other teams have in this division.  

Great point re: Shinnie. We definitely lack some tenacity in midfield. A shame he had to leave, I know he didn’t want to. He’d have been ideal in this league. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

We waited 5 long years for Clough Jnr to come good...

Aren’t we prepared to give Rosenior a full season?  Many posters use Sir Brian as a reference but what about Arthur Cox?  After 8 league games his record was exactly the same as today and we finished 7th (no play offs for the younger reader ?) and 17 points off a promotion spot.  I use that as we were in a similar position of just being saved and building a new team.  Not saying we’ll replicate what happened with Arthur but sometimes you need to play the long game.  Arthur also had the advantage of a certain Bobby Davison already being here.