Liam Rosenior

I wouldnt offer him the job, at least not yet. I'm still seeing similar football to when rooney was here and I dont believe that type of football will get us promotion. He seems a nice guy who talks very well but that dont mean hes a good manager or is going to be. I hope he succeeds with us I really do, i just wouldnt bet on it.

39 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I wouldn't. I'd go for Rosenior now. He's proved he is one of us. He shared the journey for survival with all of us. He's more than proved he cares as much as all of us care about our future. He was the most intelligent pundit about the Championship on Sky when he joined Cocu's coaching team. In my opinion, his recruitment has been good. He turned down Blackpool because he saw this opportunity as what he wanted. The Plymouth performance was disappointing and he has acknowledged this. At the moment he is a Ram through and through and he'll more than do for me. I think the squad is behind him and he won't let us down. Brian Clough saw DCFC as his opportunity for fame many years ago and look what followed. If Liam can achieve just 50% of what Cloughie did then let him loose.

COYR

I know it’s harsh but if DC decides to offer him a permanent position it should be because he believes he is the man to take us forward and back into the Championship (and beyond?) and not for sentimental reasons such as “he’s one of us”, “he cares” or “he shared our journey for survival”. As for being an intelligent pundit, that is surely irrelevant.

I think he is the man by the way but I can see why DC might prefer to wait for more evidence of his ability to get results on the pitch. I know there are serious mitigating circumstances and LR is doing a good job but not an outstanding job yet.

40 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I know it’s harsh but if DC decides to offer him a permanent position it should be because he believes he is the man to take us forward and back into the Championship (and beyond?) and not for sentimental reasons such as “he’s one of us”, “he cares” or “he shared our journey for survival”. As for being an intelligent pundit, that is surely irrelevant.

I think he is the man by the way but I can see why DC might prefer to wait for more evidence of his ability to get results on the pitch. I know there are serious mitigating circumstances and LR is doing a good job but not an outstanding job yet.

I'm expressing my own opinion on a DCFC forum, based on a lifetime's experience of watching Derby County. My opinion is not based at all on sentimental reasons, just what I believe from what I have witnessed. If David Clowes disagrees with my opinion, that's fine by me. But the longer he waits for further evidence as you see it, the greater the risk that Liam Rosenior may be tempted elsewhere. He has been entrusted to build, at short notice, a squad of players who seem to be very much behind him. I share Liam's confidence that he has recruited sensibly. Hourihane, Mendez-Laing, Chesters, Collins, Barkhuizen and McGoldrick could have chosen to go to Championship clubs, I believe, but chose to come here and play for Liam Rosenior in Division One.

I believe intelligent punditry is very relevant. The most intelligent pundit from my point of view was Brian Clough and his management wasn't too bad you know.

As for doing a good job, Brian Clough's first season at Derby County wasn't too good but the rest of them were pretty spectacular. There were directors in favour of sacking Cloughie at the end of his first season.

At sometime, David Clowes has to make a decision on the permanency of Liam's position as manager. Good decisions are at the essence of how quickly we move forward. Do you trust him or do you not? If you don't then let him go quickly. Mel Morris was good at that and it cost us a packet.

I believe that what he has done so far gives Liam entitlement to continue the fight for promotion to the Championship. I believe the time has come to give Liam the security he deserves. If he is replaced in the near future the incoming manager may not entrust the current squad in the same way Liam has. That would be a disruption we can ill afford as we seek to move forward. Rosenior represents stability for me and I think our club badly needs that.

But that is only my opinion and nothing more.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

12 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I'm expressing my own opinion on a DCFC forum, based on a lifetime's experience of watching Derby County. My opinion is not based at all on sentimental reasons, just what I believe from what I have witnessed. If David Clowes disagrees with my opinion, that's fine by me. But the longer he waits for further evidence as you see it, the greater the risk that Liam Rosenior may be tempted elsewhere. He has been entrusted to build, at short notice, a squad of players who seem to be very much behind him. I share Liam's confidence that he has recruited sensibly. Hourihane, Mendez-Laing, Chesters, Collins, Barkhuizen and McGoldrick could have chosen to go to Championship clubs, I believe, but chose to come here and play for Liam Rosenior in Division One.

I believe intelligent punditry is very relevant. The most intelligent pundit from my point of view was Brian Clough and his management wasn't too bad you know.

As for doing a good job, Brian Clough's first season at Derby County wasn't too good but the rest of them were pretty spectacular. There were directors in favour of sacking Cloughie at the end of his first season.

At sometime, David Clowes has to make a decision on the permanency of Liam's position as manager. Good decisions are at the essence of how quickly we move forward. Do you trust him or do you not? If you don't then let him go quickly. Mel Morris was good at that and it cost us a packet.

I believe that what he has done so far gives Liam entitlement to continue the fight for promotion to the Championship. I believe the time has come to give Liam the security he deserves. If he is replaced in the near future the incoming manager may not entrust the current squad in the same way Liam has. That would be a disruption we can ill afford as we seek to move forward. Rosenior represents stability for me and I think our club badly needs that.

Spot on. If you trust him, give him the contract. If you don’t, your name appears to be Carl Sagan. ?

I really don't see the point in rushing to tie Rosenoir down after a handful of games and at best variable performances on the pitch. Haven't we learnt anything as a club?

If he's the cheap option then ok can half condone it but if there's not better managers out there than Rosenoir than I don't know what. 

End of day Clowes is going to be the one signing off his payout from his own pocket if it goes Pete Tong or maybe not and we're saddled with a lame duck. Just can't see the urgency.

30 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

That’s all very well but if your opinion isn’t based on sentiment, why did you quote things like “one of us”? 

Regarding punditry, I agree Clough was the best and also the best manager but he is just one example. One skill doesn’t always equate to the other. Being able to analyse games well on TV doesn’t necessary mean you can then put your thoughts into action and get a team to perform.  

I’m not saying that I think LR shouldn’t be appointed, I’m just saying 1) being a good pundit doesn’t necessarily equal being a good manager, 2) the sentimental points you made are not, in themselves, good reasons to appoint him and therefore 3) I could see, rightly or wrongly, why DC might prefer to hold fire a bit longer. Whatever DC does choose to do carries a risk including, as you point out, the risk of someone else tempting him away to a more secure position (you couldn’t blame him) if he does go onto prove himself more before Derby offer him the position.

46 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

That’s all very well but if your opinion isn’t based on sentiment, why did you quote things like “one of us”? 

'One of us' to me simply means a joining together of people with a common purpose. It's similar to the Ukranians fighting Putin and his army. WTF has sentiment to do with that?

As for the rest of it, I think you are just seeking to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

I've got my opinions and I'm happy with them. You should be happy with yours but I don't agree with them. Don't let it upset you.

And I note you say you're not saying you think LR shouldn't be appointed. Neither do I. So are you agreeing with me? If so, what's your point. I've already said David Clowes is free to do as he pleases. I was only expressing an opinion and you've done nothing to dissuade me that my opinion is wrong.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

'One of us' to me simply means a joining together of people with a common purpose. It's similar to the Ukranians fighting Putin and his army. WTF has sentiment to do with that?

As for the rest of it, I think you are just seeking to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

I've got my opinions and I'm happy with them. You should be happy with yours but I don't agree with them. Don't let it upset you.

And I note you say you're not saying you think LR shouldn't be appointed. Neither do I. So are you agreeing with me? If so, what's your point. I've already said David Clowes is free to do as he pleases. I was only expressing an opinion and you've done nothing to dissuade me that my opinion is wrong.

I know what “one of us” means thank you. I was just saying that isn’t a reason to appoint him which I interpreted, incorrectly it seems, you meant seen as you said it.

I’m not seeking to disagree simply for the sake of it. I was simply disagreeing with some of the reasons you seemed to be putting forward for his appointment: he cares, he’s one of us, he’s been through the journey with us and he’s an intelligent pundit. Now if you weren’t putting those forward as reasons then I apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick but hopefully you can see how such a conclusion was arrived at.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I know what “one of us” means thank you. I was just saying that isn’t a reason to appoint him which I interpreted, incorrectly it seems, you meant seen as you said it.

I’m not seeking to disagree simply for the sake of it. I was simply disagreeing with some of the reasons you seemed to be putting forward for his appointment: he cares, he’s one of us, he’s been through the journey with us and he’s an intelligent pundit. Now if you weren’t putting those forward as reasons then I apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick but hopefully you can see how such a conclusion was arrived at.

I can see clearly now how you got the wrong end of the stick; you've just explained that you were incorrectly interpreting what I said. Thanks for the apology.

41 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

I'm not too fussed if he stays or goes. 

Not yet proven, Seems naïve e.g. not been able to respond and change things during games when other managers have sussed us out in the 2nd half.  Subs questionable recently.

I'd keep him as interim until the questionable areas are resolved.

Oh please not the old “he has no plan B”….what every arm chair coach says about their teams manager after they lose a game. 

1 hour ago, StrawHillRam said:

I'm not too fussed if he stays or goes. 

Not yet proven, Seems naïve e.g. not been able to respond and change things during games when other managers have sussed us out in the 2nd half.  Subs questionable recently.

I'd keep him as interim until the questionable areas are resolved.

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

Oh please not the old “he has no plan B”….what every arm chair coach says about their teams manager after they lose a game. 

I think it isn't so much no plan B, and generally he's done ok, just the Plymouth game he seemed to get it wrong in some people's opinions and as it is the last game it has blinkered judgement. 

He's pulled together a squad, under heavy restrictions, in a few weeks, got decent results in the main, although disappointing away so far, the results not the overall performance,  but it could be argued that the late preseason didn't help there.

Personally,  I think the subs for Plymouth was compromised with his starting line up, I was disappointed he seemed to go full on experience instead of one or both of Dobbin and/or Sibley keeping their spots, which would have meant more balance between youth, energy and experience in the starting 11 and on the bench. I said to the wife before that it feels like the easy decision to play the old heads if available.

I'm hoping that he sees that it is a squad game and not all about the starting 11, so need the balance and options on the bench also, especially with 5 subs. 

If he picks all the old boys again in next game then I will be questioning him more, as in my opinion it who's he hasn't learnt and adapted.

On 26/08/2022 at 13:40, TomTom92 said:

Looking like Alex Neil is going to Stoke, if this materialises will Sunderland look at LR? 

Seems very unlikely anyone will want to tempt LR away. Whilst he’s clearly an impressive individual he is as yet unproven as a manager.

Unless (that is) you subscribe to the line that he was the main football force in the management team during the ‘Rooney era’, in which case his track record is not a smash hit. 

5 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I can see clearly now how you got the wrong end of the stick; you've just explained that you were incorrectly interpreting what I said. Thanks for the apology.

No problem. Just try harder next time to make your point clearly, ?

Only joking of course. Just crossed lines.