Nathan Byrne - Joined Charlotte FC

Rambalin

8 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

No, Failing to turn up for work can constitute a breach of contract

Of course failing to turn up for work DOES constitute a breach of contract, in any normal employment contract it will specify that you have to make yourself available to attend your place of work (in this case Pride Park) for match days when requested and training sessions etc. 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Go on then. Name one (except for Buchanan) that is still under  contract but wants to leave?

I'm not trying to defend Byrne, I'm trying to say I don't think there is another player to compare his behaviour to (except Buchanan). Bielik is the big unknown. Perhaps he wants a move but is indeed acting professionally but we don't know. 

That's an easy one - everyone else in the squad has acted in a professional manner apart from Buchanan and Byrne so take your pick out of any of those. 

9 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

That’s the contract that Byrne doesn’t recognise however,  valid or not Byrne has certainly decided to withdraw his Labour.

it does seem an odd position to put himself in especially, unlike Buchanan, he hasn’t  got a club to go to….yet. 

I agree, But then I'd think DCFC are working to the contract he signed so not pay him...if there's a legal path Byrne has gone down then I'd hope DCFC are defending this ?‍♀️

44 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

While I think what's he's doing is awful, I'll repeat what I said previously.

He will want to be playing at Championship level or higher and probably doesn't think that he should have to be playing in League One this season through no fault of his own, especially having been named Players' POTY in a team which accumulated enough points to stay up.

Personally, of course I think he's going about it wrong and should continue playing in order to earn a move, but on the flip side that risks him getting an injury and that move never materialising.

If you look at it like that you could say that his overall stance is actually pretty understandable, even if it does us no favours.

Byrne would have had a very good chance to get 15 assists to his name in this team, and go into next season with a reputation as one of the most dangerous RBs in the football league. Could have ran the final year of his extended contract down and moved on with his reputation intact and got a very good wage at his next club.

Instead, he's damaged his reputation on a high risk strategy to earn a little bit more in the short term. Probably the last time he'll be offered a Championship level contract now as well.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Byrne would have had a very good chance to get 15 assists to his name in this team, and go into next season with a reputation as one of the most dangerous RBs in the football league. Could have ran the final year of his extended contract down and moved on with his reputation intact and got a very good wage at his next club.

Instead, he's damaged his reputation on a high risk strategy to earn a little bit more in the short term. Probably the last time he'll be offered a Championship level contract now as well.

I agree. Again I'm not a fan of his actions.

I'm just putting forward an alternate viewpoint, something to consider before launching verbals.

That said I'm not above launching them myself if someone's actions have offended me, anything but so if you go back to the Keogh (Bamford) debates re: his lack of attention.

It's the same stance I took when people were piling in against the administrators,

I'm just not a fan of pile-ons. Pylons however, love them, they're rather vital!

... not that I think there has been a pile-on on Byrne, yet.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

46 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't know how you cut stop his wages and play him in the U23's. Maybe he would play hard ball and not actually refuse to play but just not play very well. Also, presumably he's one of the players trying to wriggle of his contract. If he's successful then we'd get nothing for him.

I don't know what the answer is as I don't like the idea of Derby being forced to roll over but on the other hand I'm wary of cutting our nose off to spite our face.

Yes, one or the other . If he refuses no wages.  This was engineered to get a move by making an untenable position .  Make it as untenable as possible to get cash. 

52 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't know how you cut stop his wages and play him in the U23's. Maybe he would play hard ball and not actually refuse to play but just not play very well. Also, presumably he's one of the players trying to wriggle of his contract. If he's successful then we'd get nothing for him.

I don't know what the answer is as I don't like the idea of Derby being forced to roll over but on the other hand I'm wary of cutting our nose off to spite our face.

My understanding is, he cancelled his contract under TUPE (so we don't have to pay him anymore), but we still hold his registration for a season (so someone has to pay us to sign him)

47 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My understanding is, he cancelled his contract under TUPE (so we don't have to pay him anymore), but we still hold his registration for a season (so someone has to pay us to sign him)

Don't think we would have a leg to stand on in a court of law. It's call restraint of free trade, and FA rules around player registration count for nothing.

6 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

not sure if this has been mentioned before, but surely the correct procedure is to request a transfer. 

this trying to wriggle out of his contract that he was so willing to sign, looks to me like hes trying to get a bigger signing on fee and wages. as hed have saved any club that transfer fee

No one would’ve begrudged him had he just done that, but trying to f*** a club over due to a technicality in the contract is such a scummy way to go. 

Deserves all the abuse he gets, hope he rots out the rest of his career and another club try and use a technicality in order to get out of paying him his last payslip. Rat. 

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I agree, But then I'd think DCFC are working to the contract he signed so not pay him...if there's a legal path Byrne has gone down then I'd hope DCFC are defending this ?‍♀️

I suspect that the next pay packet will be the turning point. If we pay him and he takes the money I suspect he is classed as being under contract. If we don’t he’s a free agent.

There is no difference in playing for a big League One side expected to push for promotion and a mid table Championship side. Really, what is the difference between say Bristol City and Ipswich Town?

In fact, it’s probably more fun to be in a winning side.

In Byrne’s case I don’t think it’s a question of league. It’s clearly down to money. Does the contract extension come on reduced terms? If it’s a case of that, or doubling your money at someone like Cardiff, at his age you can’t blame him for pushing for a move.

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

There is no difference in playing for a big League One side expected to push for promotion and a mid table Championship side. Really, what is the difference between say Bristol City and Ipswich Town?

In fact, it’s probably more fun to be in a winning side.

In Byrne’s case I don’t think it’s a question of league. It’s clearly down to money. Does the contract extension come on reduced terms? If it’s a case of that, or doubling your money at someone like Cardiff, at his age you can’t blame him for pushing for a move.

Contract extension was an automatic extension based on appearances so I would imagine it's on the same terms - which is even more confusing considering that he's going to do well to earn similar money post-COVID than he does now.

23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Contract extension was an automatic extension based on appearances so I would imagine it's on the same terms - which is even more confusing considering that he's going to do well to earn similar money post-COVID than he does now.

Unless there were some clauses involved. I can’t remember where I read, but some teams have an automatic 30% wage drop clause as a result of relegation, regardless of whether they are likely to go down or not.

Then again, knowing how clueless Mel was, he probably inserted every contract with a wage increase. 

Edited by Bris Vegas

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Don't think we would have a leg to stand on in a court of law. It's call restraint of free trade, and FA rules around player registration count for nothing.

He won't go anywhere near a Court of Law - he'll bleat to the PFA and it'll go to a football tribunal I would think. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Unless there were some clauses involved. I can’t remember where I read, but some teams have an automatic 30% wage drop clause as a result of relegation, regardless of whether they are likely to go down or not.

Then again, knowing how clueless Mel was, he probably inserted every contract with a wage increase. 

Very good point: A contract extension, but with the wage drop which wouldn't be completely out the question then. 

Nevertheless, as you say, relegation wasn't even a thought before Mel stopped paying the bills so unsure just how much mind he would've paid to it! 

8 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I suspect that the next pay packet will be the turning point. If we pay him and he takes the money I suspect he is classed as being under contract. If we don’t he’s a free agent.

To be honest Gritstone we're guessing with a little bit of knowledge of contracts, Sad that both Buchanan and Byrne took this option no doubt under advice from agents and their legal team, As we hold their registrations then it's down to the legalities of this sh it show.

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

No one would’ve begrudged him had he just done that, but trying to f*** a club over due to a technicality in the contract is such a scummy way to go. 

Deserves all the abuse he gets, hope he rots out the rest of his career and another club try and use a technicality in order to get out of paying him his last payslip. Rat. 

agree. hopefully we can hold his registration until we get a fee.

just wondering if we’ll have to carry in paying his wages or whether we can just keep fining him. same for buchanan. 

i dont know how it works