Inside story on Nigel Pearson's sacking

therealhantsram

Gibbo spilling the beans on what actually happened.

He was of course working for the club at the time. There's no love lost between him and Morris. He's said in interviews before about how angry he was about the way he was let go. (How neither Morris nor Pearce spoke to him personally). So we can probably expect more of this kind of inside info to come out in the future...

The good stuff is between 32 and 40 mins.

13 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Gibbo spilling the beans on what actually happened.

He was of course working for the club at the time. There's no love lost between him and Morris. He's said in interviews before about how angry he was about the way he was let go. (How neither Morris nor Pearce spoke to him personally). So we can probably expect more of this kind of inside info to come out in the future...

The good stuff is between 32 and 40 mins.

Mel went along with some fans views that: 

“So in the summer of 2016 Nigel Pearson is appointed manager of Derby County. It’s quite a controversial appointment but you know with Nigel Pearson that he’s going to come in and he’s going to rough things up.

“He’s going to start moving things around, and frankly, that was what was needed at the football club..."

Which is rubbish, but could be seen as an easy solution!

Pearson got what the issue was but went about it the wrong way, essentially trying to do too much too fast. Mel was probably too quick to pull the trigger, but from a fans perspective, so much was going wrong on the pitch it’s hard to make the argument he should have stayed. 

It’s probably the most fascinating recent season in regards to what was going on and the money involved. Yes the club needed someone to come in to cut the squad, but with the benefit of hindsight we probably needed someone with a Nigel Clough mentality to build over a few seasons rather than a Nigel Pearson ‘rip it all up’ mentality.

It still boils down to Mel though not being able to see that because of his own ambitions and lack of football nouse.

Don't disagree that the personalities needed to be brought in line and team unified but Pearson was never going to do it without being a bellpiece and losing the respect of the players and supporters in the process. In principle, I agree with the sentiment to back your manager but if you're going to take such drastic action so quickly you'd better make sure you get the results to back it up. 

Should never have been recruited, thoroughly unpleasant sort of man IMO.

The whole thing shows how scatter gun Mel's ownership was. Madness.

I was in favour of Pearson starting as he was a solid league manager with some good experience behind him.

Unfortunately his modus operandi is to be a very abrasive character and probably didn't go down very well with some of the more sensitive characters in our dressing room whom were probably far too big for their boots at this point anyway.

Combined with his chairman undermining him by allegedly spying on his training sessions and encouraging players to run and tell tales on him then it was only going to end up one way. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

39 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Should never have been recruited, thoroughly unpleasant sort of man IMO.

Always been my thoughts on him too. But that image has been challenged over the last year or so by a number of ex-players doing interviews on various fan podcasts. Surprisingly to me he seemed to be universally praised. I was properly shocked considering his record here.

McClaren on the other hand... despite his success, not many good words from the ex-players about him.

56 minutes ago, sage said:

So nothing really about why he was sacked. 

The only new thing was Powell being usurped by McClaren. 

Sacking Pearson wasn't a bad decision, employing him was. 

Finally we didn't need a massive shake up. 

A bit of a self fulfilling prophecy in a way but I think the fact a player could get a manager sacked because his place was under threat shows it probably did need blowing up, with the benefit of hindsight of course.

At the time I was happy he left. 

That season it was like every decision made the previous one about 10x worse. Each one probably justifiable in its own right but as a collective just absolutely horrendous.

1 hour ago, sage said:

So nothing really about why he was sacked. 

The only new thing was Powell being usurped by McClaren. 

Sacking Pearson wasn't a bad decision, employing him was. 

Finally we didn't need a massive shake up. 

It seems utterly bizarre that Morris would hire someone to shake things up then side with the people that needed shaking up.

Something doesn't ring true about this story.

38 minutes ago, nottingram said:

A bit of a self fulfilling prophecy in a way but I think the fact a player could get a manager sacked because his place was under threat shows it probably did need blowing up, with the benefit of hindsight of course.

At the time I was happy he left. 

That season it was like every decision made the previous one about 10x worse. Each one probably justifiable in its own right but as a collective just absolutely horrendous.

Absolutely no evidence that that happened.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It seems utterly bizarre that Morris would hire someone to shake things up then side with the people that needed shaking up.

I've seen it happen at the company I work for though. Boss hires an outsider to come and get the company running like a professional organisation should be, holding people accountable, setting measurable personal targets, standard stuff. 

Goes down like a lead balloon as staff are simply not ready for this prompting mass exodus of employees. Boss realises that he won't have a business left to run at this point so persuades all staff whom have chucked their notice in to stay with sweetners at the same time as bulleting the guy he brought in.

Danger averted. Person put down as poor cultural fit and matters swept under the carpet. 

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Remember when we all laughed at how mental that drone story was and how there was no way it was true?

Bit more believable now isn't it.

3 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It was always believable 

It was always believable, until you factored in that all the training pitches were covered by multi-angle CCTV, so had no need for a drone.

56 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It would seem bizarre if the central character was someone other than Mel Morris.....   

46 minutes ago, sage said:

Absolutely no evidence that that happened.

Well no, no evidence in that any party involved has ever said it publicly, but it is exactly what the thread is discussing and I think was common knowledge anyway.

Maybe it contributed to Pearson’s sacking, maybe it didn’t. I dare say Pearson was paranoid. Personally I think if a player felt he could influence a managers sacking based on being next in line to be sold, it would suggest the player(s) had too much power. I think that attitude may also help to explain some of the behaviour we saw in subsequent years too.