Inside story on Nigel Pearson's sacking

therealhantsram

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

As much as Mel was an idiot for hiring and firing Pearson in the space of a few weeks, we really were dreadful under him. There's only so long you can put up with watching the ball being hoofed up the pitch to those renowned target men, Matej Vydra and James Wilson.

I think Chris Powell would say he didn’t have enough time .

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Time for what? Vydra to grow 6 inches?

A cautionary tale about being careful what you wish for when you're grumbling about the lack of speed in attacks.

That Pearson team attacked very very fast,and were very very bad at doing it.

If we're going to be that kind of side at least be half decent at it. We weren't. And showed no signs we were going to be.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

A cautionary tale about being careful what you wish for when you're grumbling about the lack of speed in attacks.

That Pearson team attacked very very fast,and were very very bad at doing it.

If we're going to be that kind of side at least be half decent at it. We weren't. And showed no signs we were going to be.

Problem with all this stuff which Radio Derby are dragging up (and one of the protagonists worked for Derby County)is that it’s raking up historic stories which can’t be changed. 
DCFC need to move on if that’s possible 

3 hours ago, Curtains said:

Problem with all this stuff which Radio Derby are dragging up (and one of the protagonists worked for Derby County)is that it’s raking up historic stories which can’t be changed. 
DCFC need to move on if that’s possible 

'Moving on' doesn't involve just ignoring stuff from the past.

That season, and arguably the one before too, really sum up MM’s running of the club.  We can’t change it, but it’s a really good case study as to why we are where are today.

The appointment of Pearson itself was bizarre.  You don’t have to observe football too closely to know what you’re getting - old school manager who’ll take no nonsense and a style of play based on quick counter-attack football.  I think at the time of the appointment MM said it was uncanny how alike they were with their views on football and how it should be played.  That goes against his reasons for sacking Clement and how it wasn’t about promotion at all costs and the dreaded “Derby Way”.

You know Pearson will ruffle a few feathers and get rid of the disruptive influences or players who think they’re untouchable.  I think we needed a bit of that.  If that’s the case, don’t be surprised when some aren’t happy.  I’m not comparing Pearson to any of these in any way but by siding with the players, Brian Cough, Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, etc would all meet the same fate.

Then he recruits Mac2 - I still think MM was never fully convinced by this and always wanted Rowett but didn’t want to pay compensation - who clearly had a different style of leadership and football.  So we start again.  A good point in the discussion is the negotiation of a new Contract with Chris Martin, who was essential to way Mac played.  He then sack Mac 2 to bring Rowett in, with yet another style of football.  And Mac was sacked for one bad spell, when a manager needs the support of his chairman more than ever.

The amount of money paid in compensation to managers, transfer fees to fund a different way of, increased wages, was ridiculous.  At that period of time sums up the madness of MM!!

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Rams fans didn’t warm to Pearson , perhaps because he was born in Nott’m.   But then again Rowett is not very popular and he was supposed to be a die hard Ram.Their style of management is very similar - they know how to get the best out of a striker.

You're right. I'm not sure if it was notts or Leicester connections, or just a personality thing, or just a "not exciting enough" thing, before us Clement was supposed to be the next big thing, rowett was on a big upswing+played for us.

I stick my hand up I didn't give him the credit he deserved when he was appointed or the benefit of any doubt about his decisions. It's easy to think you're right about that when the results were as bad as they were, but, fullness of time has at least made realise it's at the very least "a bit more complicated than that" and very likely he should've either been allowed to do things his way, or, never given the job.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

You're right. I'm not sure if it was notts or Leicester connections, or just a personality thing, or just a "not exciting enough" thing, before us Clement was supposed to be the next big thing, rowett was on a big upswing+played for us.

I stick my hand up I didn't give him the credit he deserved when he was appointed or the benefit of any doubt about his decisions. It's easy to think you're right about that when the results were as bad as they were, but, fullness of time has at least made realise it's at the very least "a bit more complicated than that" and very likely he should've either been allowed to do things his way, or, never given the job.

I vote for Pearson never being given the job - Barnsley away in the first away game proved that 

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

But people have agendas 

Part of the process of moving on is that if you have made such a pig's ear of things, as Morris has done, you sometimes just have to metaphorically sit in the stocks and horrible stuff hurled at you. Moving on is not sweeping it under the carpet; it's bringing it out and saying, 'How can we not do this s*** again?'

25 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Part of the process of moving on is that if you have made such a pig's ear of things, as Morris has done, you sometimes just have to metaphorically sit in the stocks and horrible stuff hurled at you. Moving on is not sweeping it under the carpet; it's bringing it out and saying, 'How can we not do this s*** again?'

Resolving something is not the same as "not talking about it anymore".

The Pearson episode of DCFC is a good example of how Mel was disastrous even before he turned off the taps.

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

To appoint one rookie manager whose true ambition was to become manager of Chelsea as soon as possible is unfortunate - to appoint a second looks like negligence. 

Or that you can pick a good manager but not have the team/squad to support their ambitions? To what does your comment refer?

On 25/04/2022 at 19:29, sage said:

So nothing really about why he was sacked. 

The only new thing was Powell being usurped by McClaren. 

Sacking Pearson wasn't a bad decision, employing him was. 

Finally we didn't need a massive shake up. 

1. Pearson was sacked because of his head to head sortie with MM at Cardiff.

2. This was MM to a tee, Listens to too many people who would benefit themselves.

3. Those who want a root and branch change then you send for the Pearson's of this world, I bet the radio airwaves were going red hot when DCFC players heard Pearson was on his way, MM was/is a weak man when it comes to decision making, Sacking Clement had nothing to do with "the Derby Way" losing his case with Sam Rush, Losing his case with Keogh, Pi$$ing money out for fun, Keogh and Malone were the instigators of the Pearson debacle...I've posted this before on several occasions as they didn't like how they were treated, Keogh was the boss, Martin thought he was the boss, Malone just an ass, Look at Man Untd and how their dressing room is, You have this throughout football...there's more to this epilogue that will surface one day.

4. I guess that depends on what side of the fence you sit, Players today have far far to much influence, Good and bad where young players are concerned, Pearson after the Blackburn game was on borrowed time, Players were on the phone to hatch a plan to get Pearson out of the door...they didn't like how Pearson reacted to their performance.

5. My opinion on all this...MM looked the part in public, Free scarfs, Coffees, Beers with fans in away pubs, Bouncing up and down on the pitch, But doesn't like it when the public ask searching questions, This board was monitored hence the breakfast club, A huge swathe of us fell for it, What could be wrong with spending millions and millions on crap players...todays story is down to one person and one person only, Someone who wanted to be liked but instead he's ended up a very sad figure in Derby.

6. And as Jimmy Cricket once said..."come here there's more" 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Or that you can pick a good manager but not have the team/squad to support their ambitions? To what does your comment refer?

Both Clement and Lampard hoped to return to Chelsea as Manager sooner rather than later.

Clement was, apparently, clearly told what MM expected ("the Derby Way", bring academy players into the squad etc) but Clement realised that that approach would mean he'd be treading water and wanted to be seen as successful ASAP. Morris snookered himself (and the club, ultimately) by acceding to Clement's demands for squad reinforcement rather than sticking to his own brief. He then started listening to the players complaints about Clement and pulled the trigger. 

At least with Lampard, who was explicit from the off about his ultimate ambition, he'd learnt by that stage that sacking managers was more expensive than allowing them to be poached.