Inside story on Nigel Pearson's sacking

therealhantsram

13 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Well no, no evidence in that any party involved has ever said it publicly, but it is exactly what the thread is discussing and I think was common knowledge anyway.

Maybe it contributed to Pearson’s sacking, maybe it didn’t. I dare say Pearson was paranoid. Personally I think if a player felt he could influence a managers sacking based on being next in line to be sold, it would suggest the player(s) had too much power. I think that attitude may also help to explain some of the behaviour we saw in subsequent years too. 

So is it a fact or not?

It all seems like a strawman argument.

..............so did Morris sack Keogh for lack of juicy gossip and poor quality mobile videos of players being sick on a night out or for Keogh forgetting to bring the drone along to the bowling night out?

...........and would Bradley Johnston still be with us, if he had called us Derby Corporate Football Club instead?

...........and had the office girls from admin booked the required taxi's required for everyone to get too and from the night out, would we not be in administration, but in some other department like Finance instead.

............and why do so many folk still believe that Morris is, ever was a Derby County Football Club fan/supporter?

Football is played and won on grass, but the geeks and the business men are dictating that the kids are only available for selection to play football by the latest app, spond etc, my 8 year old can't play in a football tournament this weekend because his dad doesn't own the correct phone with the correct app to respond to humans that have been brainwashed by billionaires, the greedy lizards as David Icke put it..............and the human race is falling for and accepting this tripe!

Mel Morris and all the rest of the business world controlling  bull critters with your made up how to behave in the office rules, with your buzz words, your back stabbing, and businesses pies............don't dictate to me...........B Side......Money Talks.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

So is it a fact or not?

It all seems like a strawman argument.

No, I shouldn’t have used the word “fact” but I don’t really think it changes too much.

If Radio Derby are correct, and I doubt they’d veer too far from the truth, Pearson felt the players had too much power / too close a relationship with the owner (delete as appropriate), and sought to fix that by shipping them out. One player in question responded by running to the owner and the manager was subsequently sacked. Said player went on to be dismissed a couple of years later for a serious breach of discipline.

I must stress I am only talking with the benefit of hindsight, obviously. Pearson’s football was crap and he should never have been hired unless there was full acceptance of any decisions he made. I am just saying that he was ultimately proved right. McClaren was a generally good replacement until he was sacked for no real reason, although the treatment of Powell seems shoddy at best.

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

No, I shouldn’t have used the word “fact” but I don’t really think it changes too much.

If Radio Derby are correct, and I doubt they’d veer too far from the truth, Pearson felt the players had too much power / too close a relationship with the owner (delete as appropriate), and sought to fix that by shipping them out. One player in question responded by running to the owner and the manager was subsequently sacked. Said player went on to be dismissed a couple of years later for a serious breach of discipline.

I must stress I am only talking with the benefit of hindsight, obviously. Pearson’s football was crap and he should never have been hired unless there was full acceptance of any decisions he made. I am just saying that he was ultimately proved right. McClaren was a generally good replacement until he was sacked for no real reason, although the treatment of Powell seems shoddy at best.

Did Keogh respond to Pearson looking to sell him by going to MM to get the manager sacked? 

What evidence do we have of that? 

What reasons were given to Pearson? 

Colin Gibson shouldn’t have mentioned anything to do with Pearson’s appointment because it’s slightly detracted from his broader point.

In one season we had a counter-attacking 4-4-2 manager whose main attribute was building teams, a front foot 4-3-3 manager whose main attribute was coaching and a defensive 4-2-3-1 manager whose main attribute was organising teams - ALL given complete freedom to do as they wished with the squad.

Mel just didn’t get football.

10 minutes ago, cannable said:

Colin Gibson shouldn’t have mentioned anything to do with Pearson’s appointment because it’s slightly detracted from his broader point.

In one season we had a counter-attacking 4-4-2 manager whose main attribute was building teams, a front foot 4-3-3 manager whose main attribute was coaching and a defensive 4-2-3-1 manager whose main attribute was organising teams - ALL given complete freedom to do as they wished with the squad.

Mel just didn’t get football.

Yet sadly for us, he thought he did.

17 minutes ago, sage said:

Did Keogh respond to Pearson looking to sell him by going to MM to get the manager sacked? 

What evidence do we have of that? 

What reasons were given to Pearson? 

I have already said I should not have said it was a fact that Keogh got Pearson sacked, but even before this it was a very badly kept secret that Keogh complained to Morris about Pearson. Colin Gibson seems to suggest it was because Keogh was next in line to be sold precisely because he held too much sway. He was working for the club at the time and I doubt he would make that point on BBC Radio Derby unless he was very confident in it.

Clearly I have not made my point very well because you continue to argue with points I have already “taken back”. Not really sure how many more ways I can reword my point that Pearson was probably not wrong in his assertion, whether it was based on paranoia or not, so I will leave you to it ??

7 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I have already said I should not have said it was a fact that Keogh got Pearson sacked, but even before this it was a very badly kept secret that Keogh complained to Morris about Pearson. Colin Gibson seems to suggest it was because Keogh was next in line to be sold precisely because he held too much sway. He was working for the club at the time and I doubt he would make that point on BBC Radio Derby unless he was very confident in it.

Clearly I have not made my point very well because you continue to argue with points I have already “taken back”. Not really sure how many more ways I can reword my point that Pearson was probably not wrong in his assertion, whether it was based on paranoia or not, so I will leave you to it ??

I agree. 

No one can say if Pearson would've been a success here because he wasn't backed and given the chance to succeed instead the players  clique was supported by clown morris....Keogh was heavily instrumental by all accounts and its never a good idea to let players have power....I don't understand how people can call Pearson a horrible character etc ....it takes all types to be a manager and even Brian Clough was a strong opinionated character who would'nt have lasted 5 mins under Morris....I don't think Cocu ( a gentleman )had a chance here and the whole joiners arms incident for me sums up what sort of characters we had Keogh Bennett etc who showed there true colours since that event with not ounce of remorse it seems and Benetts burn video when driving past PP ( a club who gave him a chance in the game !) .....I don't think Rooney will have those sort of bad eggs in the squad

I think some of the players we had in those turbulent years need to have a long, hard look at themselves in the mirror and reflect on their own behaviour and attitudes. McClaren, Clement and Pearson all made mistakes in their management of a strong core group who ruled the roost during those years, as did Morris in firstly making bad choices and then bottling it when the players kicked off. But it was clear from some of the stories coming out that the "cabal" defended their turf and made it uncomfortable for both incomers to the squad who threatened their places (Albentosa's treatment particularly springs to mind) and those who followed McClaren's first spell who tried to introduce their own regimes in a way that threatened their "cosy" existence. Pearson in particular tried to impose his will and implement major changes too aggressively, too soon, but I'm in little doubt that the actions of some players did not have the club or the fans best interests at heart. 

I hated his time as manager.

I did think it was the wrong appointment at the wrong time. "But Leicester..."

I hated the way we played and how bad at playing it we were.

However, with hindsight, he was set up to fail. Looking back I don't hold anything against him. Stuff that seemed bizarre to me at the time did have a thinking behind it.

27 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I hated his time as manager.

I did think it was the wrong appointment at the wrong time. "But Leicester..."

I hated the way we played and how bad at playing it we were.

However, with hindsight, he was set up to fail. Looking back I don't hold anything against him. Stuff that seemed bizarre to me at the time did have a thinking behind it.

Doesn't everything in the first part of your post back this up? The fans were as quick to decide he wasn't right for us as the players. I don't blame Pearson at all for applying for a job, getting it and tackling it with the skills and knowledge he possesses but from our point of view it was a totally nuts appointment.

@cannable really hit the nail on the head when he said that Mel Morris didn't understand football and this appointments lurched from one type of coach to another almost by the month. But not understanding football is no excuse anyway. Takes about 10 minutes of googling "what makes a club successful" and a further half an hour of reading to learn that it's generally a good idea to keep a sense of consistency when appointing coaches in football, if you can be sufficiently arsed to do it.

Edited by Duracell

6 hours ago, S8TY said:

No one can say if Pearson would've been a success here because he wasn't backed and given the chance to succeed instead the players  clique was supported by clown morris....Keogh was heavily instrumental by all accounts and its never a good idea to let players have power....I don't understand how people can call Pearson a horrible character etc ....it takes all types to be a manager and even Brian Clough was a strong opinionated character who would'nt have lasted 5 mins under Morris....I don't think Cocu ( a gentleman )had a chance here and the whole joiners arms incident for me sums up what sort of characters we had Keogh Bennett etc who showed there true colours since that event with not ounce of remorse it seems and Benetts burn video when driving past PP ( a club who gave him a chance in the game !) .....I don't think Rooney will have those sort of bad eggs in the squad

He still managed to spend £14m in a single summer though