Excited

BatRam

Really excited to see who we bring in. We might not be splashing the cash but we’ll be a pull. 

Both Wednesday and Ipswich seemed to really recruit in big numbers last summer and it’s worked for one of them. 

If Rooney stays I imagine a couple of smart loan signings could be in the pipeline too.

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I’d want better than Kazim to be honest 

If we are going with Kazim-Richards and Stratton as our strike force we will probably be a pretty ordinary outfit. 

I expect WR to have others in mind. (Loan?)

1 hour ago, TomSaint said:

To be honest , iv felt horrendous during this entire season , worrying if there will be a club to support at the end of it and whatever. But this relegation and potential take over has got me being positive again , excited for the incoming players that Rooney wants for his system but also to see the lads we've already got develop. Im hoping lawrence might stay with us after seeing how much Rooney has looked after him and made him captain. Ravel would prob smash league one if we went down ? 

Trust me, you weren't alone. 

Yeah Rooney has put trust and responsibility in Tom, primarily to get him to push himself more and eradicate those games he went missing.  Overall it's worked I'd say, but I'd be amazed if he stays.  He'd have to take a big wage cut to do so, plus pretty sure there's several vultures perched on bare branches waiting to snap him up for pittance, or on a free. Gut feel says he's not the sort to stay for L1 and will bid farewell come season end.  Ravel on the other hand, following a less than glorious career, has flourished under Rooney and, with the right deal he may just stay.  I think Bielik, Bird and Knight will go - too good for L1.  Probably Buchanan too.

But if we can keep Davis, Ebiowei, Cashin, Allsop, Stretton, Thompson and Byrne, plus possibly Fozzy or Stearman to be fair,  I think we'd be doing well. CKR, fitness permitting would be useful as back up but not as a main striker.  That does still leave a lot of holes to plug...but that's why it's exciting, if not a bit scary!

Ever since 2008 we've basically alternated between seasons when we were near the top/playoffs (Mac/Lampard) and seasons when we've been near the bottom and in a relegation scrap (Clough/Rooney).

During the latter type of season we fretted and lost sleep imagining that to be cast into the netherworld of League 1 would be the very worst thing that could ever happen.

Well now it has.  And we're still breathing.

We could have settled for being an average Championship side with occasional forays into the top league.  Instead we fell for someone who dreamed big, spent big, pushed the envelope, and ultimately crashed and burned.

It's now clear that although the EFL mishandled many things we are now where the actions of our previous owner mean we deserve to be.

In Scotland, Rangers had to fight their way back from their League 2 for similar transgressions.  It could be far worse.

SO, let's focus on what we have that most teams in League 1 don't.

30,000 or so loyal fans, PL quality stadium & infrastructure, a history including winning the top league twice, an Academy producing PL standard players (e.g. Hughes/Hendrick/Plange/Ebosele etc), a high profile manager who has the loyalty of everyone, new ownership, and presumably a wage/transfer budget that will be competitive in League 1.  Most League 1 teams would love to be us.

Factor in also the 'bounce back' factor (Bournemouth for example) and what we hopefully have ahead of us is a revival similar to the Cox/Smith years.  Bring it on!

I think if the finances are in place more will stay than people are thinking. A lot will fancy their chances of a quick return and playing under Rooney is a massive draw. Often players stay with relegated Prem teams, can't see us being any different. And if we keep a decent core group together plus adding Rooneys already identified targets I really believe we will take some stopping next season. Might take a few games to adjust, maybe not..but I'm sure we will be a major force.

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

Trust me, you weren't alone. 

Yeah Rooney has put trust and responsibility in Tom, primarily to get him to push himself more and eradicate those games he went missing.  Overall it's worked I'd say, but I'd be amazed if he stays.  He'd have to take a big wage cut to do so, plus pretty sure there's several vultures perched on bare branches waiting to snap him up for pittance, or on a free. Gut feel says he's not the sort to stay for L1 and will bid farewell come season end.  Ravel on the other hand, following a less than glorious career, has flourished under Rooney and, with the right deal he may just stay.  I think Bielik, Bird and Knight will go - too good for L1.  Probably Buchanan too.

But if we can keep Davis, Ebiowei, Cashin, Allsop, Stretton, Thompson and Byrne, plus possibly Fozzy or Stearman to be fair,  I think we'd be doing well. CKR, fitness permitting would be useful as back up but not as a main striker.  That does still leave a lot of holes to plug...but that's why it's exciting, if not a bit scary!

You have to weigh up the costs of losing players than the financial benefit. What would the cost of having all of the above vs 2 or 3 years in L1. 

I would try and keep everyone at the who is currently here. We are threadbare as it is. 40 players required was it?

I’m looking forward to seeing who Rooney can bring in on loan. I’m sure players who would be good enough to tear uk the championship would be willing to spend a year in league 1 to work with the Wayne Rooney. Like mount in the championship, could’ve easily gone to the Prem, but came to us to work with Lampard. We could end up with some ridiculously good loan signings.

11 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m looking forward to seeing who Rooney can bring in on loan. I’m sure players who would be good enough to tear uk the championship would be willing to spend a year in league 1 to work with the Wayne Rooney. Like mount in the championship, could’ve easily gone to the Prem, but came to us to work with Lampard. We could end up with some ridiculously good loan signings.

Depends if we can afford to finance the loans…

My opinion is that we were in need of a re-boot even before the financial penalties were enforced. Going down will give us time to rebuild gradually until we’re ready to rejoin the Championship. Having that forward momentum is so important and is a building block to getting back to the top. 
Is been done before by many clubs (indeed we did it in 1984 to 1987) and will be done again. 

1 hour ago, kingsy1884 said:

You have to weigh up the costs of losing players than the financial benefit. What would the cost of having all of the above vs 2 or 3 years in L1. 

I would try and keep everyone at the who is currently here. We are threadbare as it is. 40 players required was it?

Subject to us adhering to the EFL's restrictions on our business plan where money will dictate what happens and who may stay.  

1 hour ago, LondonRam2 said:

Ever since 2008 we've basically alternated between seasons when we were near the top/playoffs (Mac/Lampard) and seasons when we've been near the bottom and in a relegation scrap (Clough/Rooney).

During the latter type of season we fretted and lost sleep imagining that to be cast into the netherworld of League 1 would be the very worst thing that could ever happen.

Well now it has.  And we're still breathing.

We could have settled for being an average Championship side with occasional forays into the top league.  Instead we fell for someone who dreamed big, spent big, pushed the envelope, and ultimately crashed and burned.

It's now clear that although the EFL mishandled many things we are now where the actions of our previous owner mean we deserve to be.

In Scotland, Rangers had to fight their way back from their League 2 for similar transgressions.  It could be far worse.

SO, let's focus on what we have that most teams in League 1 don't.

30,000 or so loyal fans, PL quality stadium & infrastructure, a history including winning the top league twice, an Academy producing PL standard players (e.g. Hughes/Hendrick/Plange/Ebosele etc), a high profile manager who has the loyalty of everyone, new ownership, and presumably a wage/transfer budget that will be competitive in League 1.  Most League 1 teams would love to be us.

Factor in also the 'bounce back' factor (Bournemouth for example) and what we hopefully have ahead of us is a revival similar to the Cox/Smith years.  Bring it on!

A lot of what you’ve mentioned there Sunderland, Forest, Sheffield Utd, Leeds Utd have also got and had in League 1.

I think what we need to have which is different from the above, is patience!

As a group of fans we’re starting to talk ourselves up already, even though liquidation could still happen, we’ve only got 5 players for next season so far, -15 points Isn’t out of the question and we’ve got a rookie owner coming in who’s enthusiasm might get the better of him on occasions next season.

We’re miles away from promotion at the moment, so as fans let’s not make the mistake of piling pressure on instant success and hopefully celebrate we’ve still got a club!

i just hope we are left alone by the efl,enough is enough,no more points or embargo's,i'd like to play the biggest percentage of football in the oppo's half,we get a striker who has more touches than alsop,and any other club breaking rules are dealt with in the same way we have endured, the drug barons dodgy dealings are revealed and the gumps are next.not much to ask for really

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think we're heading more or less for a return of the Nigel Clough austerity football years (EFL business plan), but with a lot less toxicity, more rational expectations, doing it in league 1 and remembering that when a proper team does get built it can be as joyful as that first McLaren season.

Hopefully the rebuilding won't be as painfully slow as it was under Nigel.

If it has to be slow to avoid a return to boom and bust so be it. So hope the takeover goes through so we can be a normal club again, if we ever have been

8 hours ago, Jram said:

What worries me is we’ve already lost Plange and Ebosele for nothing and, in less than a month, all the players out of contract can start to sign deals with other clubs 

Need to sign so many up before they start to do just that 

So many U23s who could step up are out of contract as well- Watson, Dixon etc 

Plange for £1m has been great business, especially when you consider he was released by Arsenal for nothing. He's shown some ability, but in comparison, he's earned us nearly as much as Liam Delap and Kaide Gordon. 

8 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Let’s wait and see what we have at our disposal.

I’m sure all talk of CKR, Plange and Stretton would be silenced if we can use the sale of some players to fund a 20 goal striker.

Kazim could only be bit part. Injuries are catching up with him. 

We need a big, mobile strong CF. A bit like that lump from Wycombe (not akinfenwa).