World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

13 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Wow that’s some record, what was the 1930 Uruguay v Argentina one like, or was that the one you missed ☺️

An excellent tournament. 

The referees wore suits. 

The Bolivian team played in berets. 

The Egyptian team missed the boat which left the tournament with 13 teams. 

The Romanian team was selected by the king. 

?

9 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So the WC limps to the final between 2 teams I struggle to hide my indifference for. 

Won't bother watching for only the second time ever. 

Had both semi-finals "on in the background" as opposed to being actually sat watching them.  Don't think I've ever sat and watched a third place match.  An all-day family visit to NW Wales planned for Sunday, so won't catch a glimpse of the final... The 2022 Qatar WC is now officially over for me.

Must admit, I've watched more than I planned or expected to, and on the whole, I've arguably enjoyed it more than I expected to, but it's over, and I doubt it will live long in the (my!) memory.

Ho hum... 

14 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Not going to argue ram59 as it would appear there's a few different interpretations of the Laws of the game now...but it's still there under FIFA rule 12 below

Indirect Free Kicks

Indirect free kicks are re-starts of play given to the opponent of the team that has committed any one of a number of “lesser” (“non-penal”) infractions as contained both in Law 12 and in other Laws of the Game.  This type of re-start is called “indirect” because it requires that the ball be touched by at least one other player (of either team), after the kicker, before it can go into the goal and be counted as a score, i.e., the ball cannot go directly into the goal from the kick and count.  When the referee determines that an infraction has occurred, play is halted.  The ball is then placed at the spot of the infraction and it must be completely still before it is kicked.  For additional information on Indirect Free Kicks, see “Free Kicks – Law 13.”

Awards of Indirect Free Kicks

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:

Plays in a dangerous manner.

Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including to the player himself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

A “scissors” or “bicycle” kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.

Impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made.

Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent in order to block them.

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body.  If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

Reading it through, there are two different 'obstruction' rules in play.

Impeding the progress of a player without contact results in an indirect free kick, but if there is contact, it is a direct free kick. Can you ever recall a free kick being awarded for obstruction without contact? An attacking player will always ensure that there is contact.

51 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Reading it through, there are two different 'obstruction' rules in play.

Impeding the progress of a player without contact results in an indirect free kick, but if there is contact, it is a direct free kick. Can you ever recall a free kick being awarded for obstruction without contact? An attacking player will always ensure that there is contact.

No, And this is where there's conflict between ex players and officials, "what is obstruction" it's down to an individuals interpretation of a law, As I said in my initial post...players now know how to play the game and influence the official.

Going back to law 12 it says a player is allowed to stand his ground, Officials are now falling for the above in bold.  

22 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Smart move by CR7 getting Piers Morgan on his payroll to fight his corner.

Good argument from cretin Morgan tbf. Though if the last act of this personal duel ends with Messi getting his mitts on the WC, the historical narrative will most likely go in the Argentinian's favour... and CR7's bladder will boil every time he sees that viral photograph.

On 14/12/2022 at 19:34, ram59 said:

I don't think that there is such a thing as obstruction in the penalty area anymore.

In this instance, I thought that it wasn't a penalty, the keeper was stationary just before he kicked the ball. Also, he tried to go round the keeper on the opposite side to which the ball went, so there was never a chance that he could have run on to it. At the very least, the ref should have been asked to look at it again, with the benefit of slow motion replays.

The ref is asked to look at it again I think only if VAR think there may be a clear and obvious error. 
In this case they thought there was not.  

The fact that there are so many neutrals on either side of this debate sort of proves VAR was right. And sort of proves that those who say it obviously was/was not a pen don’t really get the problem  

The problem is that there is no clear cut answer to the question:  if the keeper steps into the line of the attacker without playing the ball, how long does the keeper need to ‘stand still’ for it not to be obstruction? 

I think the ref probably got it right but you’d need to see it looking down the line of the attacker’s run before you could be sure, and even then you need to consider the attacker’s speed. He was in this case travelling fast, which perhaps was why the ref had no doubt. 

Edited by kevinhectoring