World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

16 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not really no. Aside from some highlights.

But I find it hard to believe anyone has played the game of football as well as Messi. It’s not just scoring, it’s the dribbling, passing, first touch, assists, creativity, movement. 

Team trophies don’t really mean that much when judging one player. After all it’s a team game.

But I just use my eyes, and they tell me that nobody has played the game as consistently well as Lionel Messi.

It’s just my opinion. 

Yeah but surely all you are saying is that he is the greatest player of your lifetime, not of all time?

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah but surely all you are saying is that he is the greatest player of your lifetime, not of all time?

Of what I have seen (highlights) of other players (Maradona, Pele, Best etc) I have not seen any of them reach the level of Messi.

The stats (goals/assists ratio per game) suggests Messi is the best.

But there is also the rest of it too.

Still, some will prefer Pele, Maradona or even Ronaldo.

In the end it’s all subjective anyway.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Of what I have seen (highlights) of other players (Maradona, Pele, Best etc) I have not seen any of them reach the level of Messi.

The stats (goals/assists ratio per game) suggests Messi is the best.

But there is also the rest of it too.

Still, some will prefer Pele, Maradona or even Ronaldo.

In the end it’s all subjective anyway.

From 2021 so not sure if changed much since then.

Screenshot_20221218-185353_Chrome.jpg

Edited by G STAR RAM

Not sure you can compare from different eras The game , rules ( no tackling from behind now and Var) even the balls are not comparable . Watching from the 1970 World Cup that Brazilian team was amazing and so much more than Pele great as he was. 
I loved watching the Cruyff inspired Dutch teams of 74 and 78 a tragedy they didn’t win one but transformed the way the game was played. 
Saw Best but think he was already in decline then. 
Maradonna a flawed genius .For what my opinion is worth Messi has been the best for the last decade. His and Ronaldo’s numbers are incredible but I don’t think this Ronaldo was as good as the Brazilian one. 
My GOAT a toss up between King Kev , Roy Mac , Charlie and Toddy ?

There's a video on YouTube that basically says that everything the current generation of footballers are lauded for doing (unreal skills, basically) Pele did first. And it's largely true. There were other truly great players of his era - Puskas, Di Stefano, Best, Garrincha, Eusebio, for example - but none quite like Pele. 

14 minutes ago, Crewton said:

There's a video on YouTube that basically says that everything the current generation of footballers are lauded for doing (unreal skills, basically) Pele did first. And it's largely true. There were other truly great players of his era - Puskas, Di Stefano, Best, Garrincha, Eusebio, for example - but none quite like Pele. 

Isn’t it a case of those doing it first will always be looked upon more fondly?

Football had been around for over 100 years before anyone of the current generation made their professional debut.

I don’t think there is anything new that players can provide now aside from records and longevity.

Messi’s goals, assists, dribbling, passing ability, creativity etc. has all been seen before in one player or another.

But has somebody been as good in all areas for as long? 

Said it before but Mbappe and Haaland will take the goal records away from Messi and Ronaldo.

But are either of them as good in the categories? I don’t think they are.

An amazing final to end what was actually a very good tournament in a footballing sense.  Obviously, the finals should never have been awarded to Qatar, but on the pitch this tournament well worth watching. 

Messi now joins Maradona as the greatest player I've ever seen.  6 crucial games in a row where he has been decisive and pure quality all round. I'm delighted for him, he fully deserves this World Cup triumph and the Player of the Tournament award (his second).  Honourable mentions too for Alvarez, Fernandez, Romero and the whole Argentinian team spirit in general.  Scaloni has done a remarkable job, back to back Copa and World Cups is some achievement.  

Argentina were the best team in the  tournament, but their capacity to collapse towards the end really helped make their games a memorable watch.  

58 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Isn’t it a case of those doing it first will always be looked upon more fondly?

Football had been around for over 100 years before anyone of the current generation made their professional debut.

I don’t think there is anything new that players can provide now aside from records and longevity.

Messi’s goals, assists, dribbling, passing ability, creativity etc. has all been seen before in one player or another.

But has somebody been as good in all areas for as long? 

Said it before but Mbappe and Haaland will take the goal records away from Messi and Ronaldo.

But are either of them as good in the categories? I don’t think they are.

It's a debate I'm not that bothered about. I can see an argument in favour of anyone's GOAT, particularly if stats are their thing, but Pele and Best were things of beauty, and beauty stirs the soul more than stats.