World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

34 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

They were lucky the Dutch ceased their aerial bombardment as soon as they equalized. It was very strange.

The Dutch game and what they went through has probably helped their cause by galvanizing them more.

Argentina are clearly doing something right. They remind me of Chelsea years ago.

Not thrilling but churning out wins.

I think they have been fortunate with their run of games with Holland their most difficult game.

England would beat Holland IMO.

France are the only team who can stop them. As good as Morocco have been, Argentina would just beat them with a moment of magic or two and then see out the game.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

So simply running flat out into a player means they've fouled you.

Ok.

Sure the rule is as you state - despite that many forwards notably Shearer have made a career out of backing into stationary defenders and getting free kicks 

But look at tonight’s penalty in real time and the ref can be excused for thinking the keeper is in motion at point of impact and no way is that call going to be overturned by VAR. If he was rooted to the spot at the point of impact and not in the middle of a jig the outcome would have been different 

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

The ref did give it. VAR cant award penalties. 

The fact that it took the VAR ref to tell him he should look at it again is a fairer reflection of his competence throughout that game than the fact that he then awarded the penalty. I suppose it was to his credit that he realised that disallowing it twice might end his career. 

The strange thing for me concerning the penalty last night was this...if in open play it's obstruction at the very most as the player blocking is deemed able to get out of the way, Unfortunately the official believes he should be able to teleport to another area of the pitch.

The player who's been blocked knows full well that if he runs into a player whether inside or outside of the area will end in either a free kick or a penalty.

Last night the keeper was chipped and ran into...where is Scotty when you need him, Football for me is becoming a farce, Attackers now know that if they over run a ball in the penalty area they will leave a training foot that catches the keeper...this all done at the blink of an eye...and is often backed up with VAR saying go look at the screen as we believe it should be looked at...we all know that once an official goes to the monitor...in most cases it's a penalty.

Peter Walton was a shyte Ref...he's just confirmed this on TV by saying it's a penalty...football run by tech ?

7 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

The strange thing for me concerning the penalty last night was this...if in open play it's obstruction at the very most as the player blocking is deemed able to get out of the way, Unfortunately the official believes he should be able to teleport to another area of the pitch.

The player who's been blocked knows full well that if he runs into a player whether inside or outside of the area will end in either a free kick or a penalty.

Last night the keeper was chipped and ran into...where is Scotty when you need him, Football for me is becoming a farce, Attackers now know that if they over run a ball in the penalty area they will leave a training foot that catches the keeper...this all done at the blink of an eye...and is often backed up with VAR saying go look at the screen as we believe it should be looked at...we all know that once an official goes to the monitor...in most cases it's a penalty.

Peter Walton was a shyte Ref...he's just confirmed this on TV by saying it's a penalty...football run by tech ?

I don't think that there is such a thing as obstruction in the penalty area anymore.

In this instance, I thought that it wasn't a penalty, the keeper was stationary just before he kicked the ball. Also, he tried to go round the keeper on the opposite side to which the ball went, so there was never a chance that he could have run on to it. At the very least, the ref should have been asked to look at it again, with the benefit of slow motion replays.

27 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I don't think that there is such a thing as obstruction in the penalty area anymore.

Not going to argue ram59 as it would appear there's a few different interpretations of the Laws of the game now...but it's still there under FIFA rule 12 below

Indirect Free Kicks

Indirect free kicks are re-starts of play given to the opponent of the team that has committed any one of a number of “lesser” (“non-penal”) infractions as contained both in Law 12 and in other Laws of the Game.  This type of re-start is called “indirect” because it requires that the ball be touched by at least one other player (of either team), after the kicker, before it can go into the goal and be counted as a score, i.e., the ball cannot go directly into the goal from the kick and count.  When the referee determines that an infraction has occurred, play is halted.  The ball is then placed at the spot of the infraction and it must be completely still before it is kicked.  For additional information on Indirect Free Kicks, see “Free Kicks – Law 13.”

Awards of Indirect Free Kicks

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:

Plays in a dangerous manner.

Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including to the player himself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

A “scissors” or “bicycle” kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.

Impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made.

Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent in order to block them.

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body.  If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

Edited by Unlucky Alf