Blackburn Away Match Thread

Genuinely saddened tonight. Feels like we've finally run out of steam, though I still can't give up just yet. I guess it's not in my nature. Sad to see some fans turning on the players and coaches too. Completely understand that folk are frustrated as for half an hour we looked like we might just defy logic yet again, but I hope when we all reflect on this with calmer heads, we'll remember where the blame for our situation really lies. I don't read too much into folk venting a little in all honesty and for the little it's worth, I don't think others should either. It would sadden me far more if small cracks in the unity we've shown in recent months were to widen into fissures. I think we're better than that. I really do. We might be an occasionally dysfunctional family, but a family is exactly what we are and I hope that never changes.

I also think that obvious frustrations aside, we've shown to all and sundry that we're a seriously staunch lot. This season serves as ample proof of that fact and countless neutrals have acknowledged as much. God knows we've been put though the wringer these last 2 to 3 years and by and large, we've still managed to find some humour in the grimmest of grim situations that following a team can throw up. I'm proud of that. The relentless support from the stands, I think it's fair to say, has been the envy of the League. In so much, along with the battered and bruised squad and the beleaguered coaching team, we've earned the right to hold our heads up high no matter what the outcome. Compare and contrast Rams fans with their Blackburn counterparts and I challenge anyone to tell you otherwise. We might be L1 or worse next season as a team, but as a fanbase, we're strictly Premier League and no ducker's ever going to take that away from us. 

COYR

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Thompson kept us in the game late in the second half with a brilliant tackle on the edge of our penalty area when Blackburn broke. 

The kid's got guts and doesn't deserve to be singled out on that performance. 

No he doesnt especially as he kept his head trying to play out calmly when most around him were losing theirs in that mad period

I wonder what's happened to Festy?

A few weeks ago, his game was very simple. He got the ball and charged forward with it, using blinding acceleration and his considerable upper body strength to beat players. He had a neat trick of actually stopping and standing with the ball, waiting for the opposition player to get close and then suddenly turning on the afterburners to leave his opponent scratching his head 10 yards behind. He didn't always make the best decisions at the end of his runs, but he was a constant threat and gained us yards every time he got the ball. 

He had a hamstring injury a few weeks ago and has looked a shadow of the player he was. He now stops every time, but doesn't seem to have the explosive acceleration to get away. He rarely runs with the ball and then only beats one player and checks back, looking for a pass. He's nowhere near as effective, although he does look a bit more conventional. 

I can't work out if he's still carrying an injury, had his old style coached out of him or the opposition have better worked out how to contain him.

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

A few weeks ago, his game was very simple. He got the ball and charged forward with it, using blinding acceleration and his considerable upper body strength to beat players. He had a neat trick of actually stopping and standing with the ball, waiting for the opposition player to get close and then suddenly turning on the afterburners to leave his opponent scratching his head 10 yards behind. He didn't always make the best decisions at the end of his runs, but he was a constant threat and gained us yards every time he got the ball. 

He had a hamstring injury a few weeks ago and has looked a shadow of the player he was. He now stops every time, but doesn't seem to have the explosive acceleration to get away. He rarely runs with the ball and then only beats one player and checks back, looking for a pass. He's nowhere near as effective, although he does look a bit more conventional. 

I can't work out if he's still carrying an injury, had his old style coached out of him or the opposition have better worked out how to contain him.

The last one I think. He has opposition marking him. And no one really to pass to other than sometimes An overlap especially if he is on the right with Byrne. 

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

If you still believed after Millwall at home, why give up now?

Yes, we have ground to make up and yes, time is running out. It’s a big ask, absolutely, especially with Barnsley finding form and Reading building our hopes up only to sneak a surprise result every now and again.

But with eight games to go and 24 points up for grabs, anything and everything is still possible.

What it all boils down to now is Rooney, Rosenior and these players deciding how they want to be remembered.

It’s a time for heroes to be made.

Jourdan with the rallying cry. Who would’ve thought. But to be fair in recent months you’ve been overwhelmingly positive. Well said and very true.

Think many including me were a bit down last night, the fact at half time we were 2 points away from safety, the fact we had the game in our control then Blackburn raise the intensity and we couldn’t stand up to it conceding soft goals. But even with 6 players out they brought quality off the bench and were much better for it. Most people earlier in the season would have had this game down as 0 points, and we’re now 6 points away instead of 5. Not much has changed. 

But last night is done and it’s time to look forward. 5 out of our last 8 games are at home, and of the remaining fixtures you would only say QPR and possibly Fulham (but that’s at home so we have a chance) are games that we would struggle to get anything from. 

I agree with you. It is a long way from being over.

29 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

IMO a big part of the problem is playing him on the left, he looks far from comfortable over there. Also,when carrying the ball he only uses his right foot, so the ball is closer to a defender and therefore, way easier to defend. Obviously, not being comfortable in his position has a negative effect on confidence as well.

We need on-form Festy so, so badly.

3 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Looked to have landed awkwardly on his ankle after jumping for a header. Was down for a long while before being stretchered off. 

I start work at 10 so had to miss last 10 mins of game, I did wonder why there was so much time added on.......argh well, hope he's OK........we go again Saturday 

On a general point about the referee, I noticed that Blackburn players got away with a lot of desperate, lunging, sliding tackles, with the player not in control, which were clearly intended to put off or intimidate the player on the ball. At times, it was like watching a game from the 1980s. But when the Blackburn defender fell to the ground writhing in "agony" after Morrison pushed him in the back, I realised it was indeed 2022 and some players have no shame or self-respect. 

Slept on it thoughts...equal measure of pride & resignation to our fate. Whilst nothing has been decided now, last night was a real opportunity for one of the 'unexpected' wins we needed & we couldn't manage it.

First half I thought we played well overall considering how conservative the line up was. Blackburn helped by being utterly toothless up top (Bradley Johnson as a false 9?!) & so the game was about who could dominate midfield...we managed that better than them & really should have been further ahead at half time. Blackburn fans we spoke to after the game said we should have been 2 or 3 up & Lawrence's missed chance on half time felt like a turning point.

Second half they changed it immediately & got some presence up top. Suddenly their crowd woke up & their press intensified. We didnt help ourselves by continuing to play the ball out from goal kicks (conceded 2 corners & other chances) and generally not slowing the game down. Other sides would have started feigning injury & timewasting...we lacked the street smarts to do that & so the pressure built. The goals were totally avoidable...unmarked headers but we had lost our heads. For me, we were also far too slow to change...we needed Plange and/or Kazim early second half to give them something to think about & a focal point to relieve pressure. Also couldnt understand why no Festy until late on.

Thereafter we occasionally threatened but again, too reluctant to get a shot or key pass off & just too easy to defend against. Their 3rd was cruel as was Kazim's late injury...hope its better than it looked.

No criticism of Rooney or the team..we've run out of gas and their efforts have been amazing in the face of Quantuma's incompetence & the EFL's active efforts to thwart us (another shocking ref too). Away crowd was amazing again & the joy at the first goal was almost worth the trip alone...I had a lad land on top of me & others he was that excited. Not everyone's cup of tea but shows how much this club means to so many people. We fight on ??

Gutted we lost that after the 1st half performance. It’s not over yet, we can still stay up, plenty of twists and turns yet. Personally I’d revert to a back 4 of Fozzy, Stearman, Davies and Byrne from Cov until the end of the season. 
Stay up amazing, go down doesn’t really matter, all that matters now is we have a club next season. 

22 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Looked like he damaged an ankle. I'd be surprised if we see him again this season, but let's hope it's not that bad. 

Like most players, his contract is up so that may the last we see of him. Injuries and age seem to have caught up with him.