How do you stop the knob eds running on the pitch?

Gritstone Ram

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on the past two pitch invaders we'd be more successful by banning the sale of Mars bars.

That's a good point - actually one of the young lads at the very end after the final whistle seemed to run towards a specific Derby player , and the player immediately embraced him, which made me wonder if it was one of his kids? 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

And that's the worry, isn't it? 

We'll end up going back to the barriers and cages of the 80s if we're not careful. 

I can only presume it is because those idiots running on to pitches now have never experienced the discomfort and claustrophobia that causes.

Supporters and clubs have had an unspoken pact to honour the divide and keep our freedoms for several decades now but the kids breaking that risk spoiling it for the rest of us. 

It drove me right away from football before and would do so again if they return to caging us in.

Thats what i thought, don't want to go back to those days again. I think derby was one of the first to rip the fences out.

32 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Thats what i thought, don't want to go back to those days again. I think derby was one of the first to rip the fences out.

It really was a wow moment the first match after the fences came down.  Like watching TV in colour after B&W.  Would hate to go back to those days of restricted views, although the way we were playing in the early 80s, maybe not such a bad thing!

37 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

The 1980s fencing at the BBG and everywhere else was awful. Let's not go back to that.

Went to Sothampton in the 80s The Dell, Think of the corner of the Ossie End next to the C Stand Paddock, It was a cage, Even the roof was BRC reinforced metal welded to the sides, If you're a caged animal then expect fans to act as animals.

6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

That's a good point - actually one of the young lads at the very end after the final whistle seemed to run towards a specific Derby player , and the player immediately embraced him, which made me wonder if it was one of his kids? 

The age of some of our players, it was probably his older brother!

2 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Yeh I went to the Dell. 87. Think we won 2-1. Can't remember much about the game but I there with a hot bird from Pompey. Not a seagull. 

I was there too. I remember Saints battered us first half, pinging it around like Pep's Barcelona, they should have been 4-up at HT but only managed one early in the 2nd half. Then after an hour or so of pretty one-sided action, Arthur brought on Andy Garner and Dave Penney and suddenly we started to turn the tables on them. Phil Gee equalised and then Garner scored the winner from Dave Penney's cross. Shilts played a blinder and Burridge in the Soton goal was ribbed mercilessly about his wife leaving him (Derby fans had a downer on him after comments he'd made about choosing join Sheff U rather than us after we'd had him on loan from Wolves.

I think the club should introduce stricter banning orders if possible. It's one thing to join in running up to the players in celebration of a last minute goal but invading the pitch is really a no-no. As someone else has said one day it will end badly. I was surprised against Birmingham 2 people ran basically the entire length of the pitch.... 

9 hours ago, angieram said:

We'll end up going back to the barriers and cages of the 80s if we're not careful. 

I can only presume it is because those idiots running on to pitches now have never experienced the discomfort and claustrophobia that causes.

Supporters and clubs have had an unspoken pact to honour the divide and keep our freedoms for several decades now but the kids breaking that risk spoiling it for the rest of us. 

It drove me right away from football before and would do so again if they return to caging us in.

I don’t think there is any chance that individual pitch invaders would ever result in the return of the high fences we saw in the bad old days especially given the health risk they represented should a stand need to evacuated in a hurry. It would take regular large scale incursion for such a thing to even be considered.

The only solution I can think of would be more serious consequences (not just something they may consider a “badge of honour”) for the individuals concerned and for the punishment they received to more widely publicised as a deterrent. On the basis that public flogging is unlikely to win the popular vote then maybe they should receive a lifetime ban from all sporting events and community service (picking up litter or something) for a number of Saturday’s.

9 hours ago, angieram said:

It was a factor in the Hillsborough disaster too. Not allowing any of the fans get onto the pitch. I think the fences came down after that. From what I can see it is when we get the 30k it seems worse although that may be because we had late goals in them games. To my surprise it is more from the North Stand area too but that may be because there are less STH in there.

5 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Went to Sothampton in the 80s The Dell, Think of the corner of the Ossie End next to the C Stand Paddock, It was a cage, Even the roof was BRC reinforced metal welded to the sides, If you're a caged animal then expect fans to act as animals.

Yeah I remember that cage. Unbelievable even for those days.