Rooney - The Documentary

Bubbles

Watched it last night. Enjoyed it but wasn’t as revelatory as I was expecting. The studs story was a bit nothing really - sure players have done much worse. It was on Terry so … 

Great story from the streets to the saviour. Although I thought it was ‘by numbers’ sports documentary - imagine what Asif Kapadia would have done with the same story? 

Vivid memories of the England matches mentioned - debut, Portugal x2 and Algeria. He had some truly wonderful moments but he also had some games when he couldn’t control the ball, non more so than that Algeria game (still didn’t deserve the boos though).

Maybe he was judged too highly because those moments of genius and sometimes that pressure for him to perform was too much.

You could see why he’s stuck around with us though - never gives up.

One other thing - thank god VAR wasn’t around in those days! 

2 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

Watched derby since 1968 and never  booed a player or the team, if  you did'nt enjoy the game just leave at the end without applauding the team. Booing gets you nowhere.

Right, now tell that to a 12 year-old who’s just seen a Premier League side destroyed by Simon Whaley ?

14 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I loved the boy when he cracked in his first goal for Everton when his hunger, passion for the game was clear to see.

I loved how that boy gave us England fans that hope especially in the Euro's 2004 in Portugal which I was at, when it was great to see his family there in full support.

I loved how he reacted to the corporate fans, the new breed of England fans that fancied a holiday in Cape Town South Africa for the World Cup 2010, that opted to boo their fellow England players off the pitch.

I will never boo any Derby County or England players off the pitch.

I loved how he joined Derby County and played for our Derby County.

I loved how he has managed Derby County so far and I will continue to love how he manages our club.

I don't buy newspapers and I don't believe everything I have read in any newspaper in the past, I don't believe everything I read on the internet or watch on the news or on or social media or on TV, on the radio and all the rest.

I have made many mistakes in my life, I hope to learn from my mistakes, and I admire down to earth, honest people that hold up their hand and admit their mistakes, as I don't see that as a weakness, but a strength, and I especially admire team players that try to help others become stronger and better people on the pitch, off the pitch and in all walks of life.

I love Wayne Rooney and I believe he will do his very best to build this club and make it great again and he will do that treating everyone at the club, with kindness, love and respect and will get eveyone working hard to achieve the desired goals we all crave, with plenty of smiles and laughter along the way.

D.C.F.C. Love, Life & Unity.

Billy Bragg - It Says Here.

It says here that the Unions will never learn
It says here that the economy is on the upturn
And it says here we should be proud
That we are free
And our free press reflects our democracy

Those braying voices on the right of the House
Are echoed down the Street of Shame
Where politics mix with bingo and tits
In a money and numbers game

Where they offer you a feature
On stockings and suspenders
Next to a call for stiffer penalties for sex offenders

It says here that this year's prince is born
It says here do you ever wish
That you were better informed
And it says here that we can only stop the rot
With a large dose of Law and Order
And a touch of the short sharp shock

If this does not reflect your view you should understand
That those who own the papers also own this land
And they'd rather you believed
In Coronation Street capers
In the war of circulation, it sells newspapers
Could it be an infringement
Of the freedom of the press
To print pictures of women in states of undress

When you wake up to the fact
That your paper is Tory
Just remember, there are two sides to every story

Inverurie. That is just one absolutely brilliant post. Outstanding and spoken from the heart. COYR

I watched it last night. I enjoyed it, as it brought back some memories.

I remember watching the 2006 WC England v Portugal QTR final game where WR was sent off, and Ronaldo winked etc.

I watched the game with Scottish friends in a pub in Leeds, as we were down for a weekend to celebrate a friends birthday, and I remember being glad to be watching England in England for a change, but I just sulked and shouted at the big screen in the pub, at the referee and at Ronaldo, as I knew at that very moment that England were out of the competition, and that I was in Leeds surrounded by people that I didn't really want to talk too about football with, and friends not saying much, but probably jumping for joy inside, so we all ended up getting very drunk and staying in some late bar / club to the very early hours of Sunday morning.

I remember the weekend being a scorcher and I ended up driving up the road on the Sunday with my shirt off, and constantly pouring water over my head to cool down and to stay awake for the long drive, and depressed with football once again.

I thought it was a really good film. It'd be worth a few revisionist a-holes watching it to remind themselves that England not so long ago had the best player in the world and that he was only 18. And that the reason he only had one good tournament was because he wasn't fit for all the others. Rooney was the player that represented all of us that grew up playing football on the street and in the park but who were never good enough to live the dream. England's "Raging Bull". 

I certainly never thought Rooney was a football genius. I don’t think he had a trick in his locker or had the capacity to make an opponent look silly. Best, Gazza, Le Tissier, Hoddle were all blessed with great vision and ability. Rooney is not in that class. But what he’s always had is the determination and winning mentality. It’s almost like his life depends on it and I don’t think I’ve seen an English player care more, ever. It’s this that sets Rooney apart and makes him an all time great.

He has shown as a manger that he won’t accept lack of effort as he shipped out Marriott and Holmes in short order. What we’ve all seen from his team is total commitment. We’ve not seen that at Derby for years and that is down to Rooney’s uncompromising view of how football should be played.

We know staying up is a very difficult task but we also know it won’t be due to lack of effort

A good recap of his career and a reminder of just how good he was so young, he came from a caring family but was obviously a boy of the streets, maybe if he hadn’t of had football in his life it could have worked out very differently with his admissions of alcohol and his temper, he obviously had the right people around him in David Moyes and later on Alex Ferguson but it is very apparent that he owes everything that he has to Coleen, she has been a massive rock for him through everything and stuck by his side, she understood him from when they were kids and has pulled him back into line many times.

15 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

A good recap of his career and a reminder of just how good he was so young, he came from a caring family but was obviously a boy of the streets, maybe if he hadn’t of had football in his life it could have worked out very differently with his admissions of alcohol and his temper, he obviously had the right people around him in David Moyes and later on Alex Ferguson but it is very apparent that he owes everything that he has to Coleen, she has been a massive rock for him through everything and stuck by his side, she understood him from when they were kids and has pulled him back into line many times.

Agree.  I suspect there's many a bloke who owes a huge amount to the woman at his side, even if many wouldn't admit it.  It's maybe a cliché but to mis-quote Elinor Roosevelt, behind every strong man is an even stronger woman.  It's true for me anyway!

Just sat and watched this at work...

I think only now, I'm starting to appreciate just what kind of man is behind the name.  What kind of man the boy has become.

His attitude.  His commitment.  His determination.  His perfect imperfections.  

It's clear he maybe wouldn't have got to this point without "C'leen", but he most certainly wouldn't have got to this point if he himself hadn't been... well... himself!

It was a special insight into a special man.

My overriding reaction to all that is that right there... right at the end... I saw The Ram.  I saw my club.  I saw PPS.  I saw my seat!  That's how close we are to this legend-that-hasn't-finished-yet! 

We have an extraordinary man here.  We need to go to extraordinary lengths to ensure he stays, ensure he wants to stay, and we need to cross our fingers that some of his extraordinariness rubs off on this otherwise fair-to-middling club of ours.

He may never be "Our S'Ralex".  He may never be our next Mr Clough.  But with luck... admittedly a lot of luck... he will end his football career as "Derby County's Wayne Rooney".  One of a kind... and One of our own.

?

On 15/02/2022 at 12:40, Mucker1884 said:

Just sat and watched this at work...

I think only now, I'm starting to appreciate just what kind of man is behind the name.  What kind of man the boy has become.

His attitude.  His commitment.  His determination.  His perfect imperfections.  

It's clear he maybe wouldn't have got to this point without "C'leen", but he most certainly wouldn't have got to this point if he himself hadn't been... well... himself!

It was a special insight into a special man.

My overriding reaction to all that is that right there... right at the end... I saw The Ram.  I saw my club.  I saw PPS.  I saw my seat!  That's how close we are to this legend-that-hasn't-finished-yet! 

We have an extraordinary man here.  We need to go to extraordinary lengths to ensure he stays, ensure he wants to stay, and we need to cross our fingers that some of his extraordinariness rubs off on this otherwise fair-to-middling club of ours.

He may never be "Our S'Ralex".  He may never be our next Mr Clough.  But with luck... admittedly a lot of luck... he will end his football career as "Derby County's Wayne Rooney".  One of a kind... and One of our own.

?

Bloke at work tried to tell me Rooney only did that film "for the money". Good point , I said, apart from the fact he's a multi-millionaire!

Yes he presumably would have been well paid by Amazon but he didn't need the dosh. I assume he wanted to put his story out there with all the publicity he receives. 

The honesty, warts and all, from him and C'leen was formidable. Not one fck given. This is who I am, 'ave it. No attempt to sugar coat anything, its a rare, brave person who can share their intimate faults and frailties with everyone.

If Derby stay up I'll be as chuffed for Rooney as I would be for us all and DCFC.

On 11/02/2022 at 22:51, SamUltraRam said:

The documentary featured one of Wayne Rooney's first appearances for England - a Euro qualifier against Turkey in 2003 played at Sunderland - he was 17 !!

And let me tell you, that game was very naughty, on & off the pitch

I also remember being in a packed Sunderland pub before the game and all the songs were 10 German bombers & No Surrender etc except one non England related song - " We Hate Derby & We Hate Derby" - sang by most of the pub. It made me chuckle & slightly proud ? 

why would they sing that in the pub????  Been to watch England many times, home and abroad, NEVER heard  that song

9 hours ago, popside ossie end popside said:

why would they sing that in the pub????  Been to watch England many times, home and abroad, NEVER heard  that song

I agree that it was strange but I can assure you it happened.

I'd imagine there were some Forest fans in there who started it & others just joined in. It only happened once and then it was back to the usual England songs

Edited by SamUltraRam

I forgot to mention how I love the boy Rooney for how he learnt the game of football by playing it on the street.

Many of us older fans on here, can probably relate more to this, and appreciate his passion and hunger learnt from playing football as we did as kids with a tennis ball in the playground, playing football straight after school on the street, using drains as goals, painted goals on walls etc, under the street lights, until parents shouted from doorsteps for us to come in, late at night.

Them childhood memories will never go away for us all, and it matched up for myself, growing up on the terraces, and watching the football team we all love play at the BBG under the lights etc, or even in my case watching the Tigers at Boothferry Park or Hull KR at Craven Park etc and when WR speaks of feeling safe in the area he was brought up in, even though it was rough, that belonging to where we all feel proud and representative of, he shows his true colours, and his love for his nan, that special lady that would make us feel loved and safe, growing up as a kid, as a teenager, and a young man.

I also loved his singing and he loves his music, and if he had anything to do with the soundtrack, he loves some good music, especially if he digs The Chemical Brothers, Setting Sun is played on the credits of The Documentary and their music is full of the passion, desire and energy just like what Wayne Rooney brings.

Weirdly enough a couple of weeks before watching this, I found myself down the pub not having much for breakfast, forgetting lunch and watching the East Midlands Derby on Sky Sports, and as I caught up with friends and drank several pints of beer, and then watch them leave the pub at about 6pm, I remained in the pub to drink a few more, and to drown my sorrows of the defeat by Nottingham, with myself wrapped around the pubs jukebox and this was the first song I played of very many.